New from Woo Audio - WA7 Fireflies (3rd Gen)
May 16, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #211 of 403
I’ve tried all that. No change when touching chassis or plugs so I don’t think it’s a grounding issue. I can hear the sound when I put my ear up to the amp. It‘s definitely there with my headphones on. I do have a power cable with an inline filter on the way but its more for rf and emi. I recently got a new usb cable and no change so it’s not there. I’m tempted to get a dc blocker but I’ll wait for both the cable and any word back from Woo Audio.
When the music is going it’s not an issue but the background should be quieter than this.. OCD is making this very irritating.. ha.

Just searched 60hz hum on YouTube and that’s pretty much the sound, but not as intense, that I’m hearing so maybe the new ac cable will clean up what’s coming out of my wall. The reason I thought it would be a DC him is that it’s not reactive to volume. But I’m just guessing here. I’ve been on iems and daps for so long the whole power thing hasn’t been an issue.

I had the same humming noise issues without music playing, I powered it off, removed the two tubes then papersand the tubes’ all pins with fine sandpaper until all pins looked shiny, put the tubes back, powered on without music playing, it’s dead quiet no humming noises now. Hope this works for you as it worked for me.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #212 of 403
I had the same humming noise issues without music playing, I powered it off, removed the two tubes then papersand the tubes’ all pins with fine sandpaper until all pins looked shiny, put the tubes back, powered on without music playing, it’s dead quiet no humming noises now. Hope this works for you as it worked for me.

Thanks I tried that but it didn't work. The fact that your amp is dead quiet really makes me wonder if there's something wrong with mine.
I did take it to a friend‘s house though and neither of us could hear the hum so what the heck is going on with my power such that even the usual treatments won’t work.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #213 of 403
Thanks I tried that but it didn't work. The fact that your amp is dead quiet really makes me think there's something wrong with mine. I am going to send it in for them to have a look. The fact that I can faintly hear the amp itself from three feet away and that same sound is coming through the signal path must mean theres something
Thanks I tried that but it didn't work. The fact that your amp is dead quiet really makes me think there's something wrong with mine. I am going to send it in for them to have a look. The fact that I can faintly hear the amp itself from three feet away and that same sound is coming through the signal path must mean theres something wrong.
If you can hear the humming noise without putting phone on, sounds like power supply transformer/capacitor emitting noise not tubes related issues. It’s sad and painful to have to send in. Hopefully the process is not as painful. Sorry and good luck.

May 22, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #214 of 403
Well after all this I finally took the amp into work and yesterday morning got into town and tried the amp at an audio friend’s house and the hum gone.

In all my years in this hobby and in 2 channel before I’ve never come across this. I couldn’t believe that I could not have sorted out any hum with what I tried but in the end it was something in my house an even without any of the conditioners, the amp is quiet at his house.
I still don’t understand.

May 22, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #215 of 403
Well after all this I finally took the amp into work and yesterday morning got into town and tried the amp at an audio friend’s house and the hum gone.

In all my years in this hobby and in 2 channel before I’ve never come across this. I couldn’t believe that I could not have sorted out any hum with what I tried but in the end it was something in my house an even without any of the conditioners, the amp is quiet at his house.
I still don’t understand.
In all honesty I am getting a bit of a hum too and assume it's something on my line.

It's not that bothersome so I can easily ignore it.

May 22, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #216 of 403
In all honesty I am getting a bit of a hum too and assume it's something on my line.

It's not that bothersome so I can easily ignore it.

It's like hum of fluorescent lights. Most of the time you just don't notice but then when you do you wonder how you didn't notice. Then you forget and it's gone again.
It's a bit like that with my set up but now that I've tried 2 different places I'm pretty much convinced it's localized to my house. It's just not something I know enough about to know why my house power is noisy.
And the weird thing is that my first post on this thread was a comment on how quiet the amp seemed.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #217 of 403
It's like hum of fluorescent lights. Most of the time you just don't notice but then when you do you wonder how you didn't notice. Then you forget and it's gone again.
It's a bit like that with my set up but now that I've tried 2 different places I'm pretty much convinced it's localized to my house.
Do you use light dimmer somewhere at your house?

May 23, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #218 of 403
Does the unit itself PHYSICALLY hum/buzz, even with nothing connected to it or is it just in the audio signal path somewhere?

May 23, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #219 of 403
Does the unit itself PHYSICALLY hum/buzz, even with nothing connected to it or is it just in the audio signal path somewhere?

When I had mine, it was in the signal path. I hope the new owner is getting better use out of it and not experiencing any.

I want to add that in trying to troubleshoot, then finally requesting an exchange, I was told not to exceed that high of volume where the noise is and to not use eq so I wouldn't have to. Lol.

May 23, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #220 of 403
Do you use light dimmer somewhere at your house?

No. There used to be one but I removed it years ago.

Both. It’s not loud but the physical sound at the amp itself is what I get on the signal path. But the odd thing is that neither were present at my friend‘s house. I mean you could hear the faint sound of the tubes when you put your ear right next to the amp, which is normal, but not the sound I hear at my house. So, I’ve got the amp posted for sale thinking to get something DC powered instead but I still might try an isolation transformer from Amazon so I can return it if it doesn’t help.

May 23, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #223 of 403
May 23, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #224 of 403
Isn't it normal for tube amps to get a little buzz that is especially audible when using sensitive iem or headphone?

Yes some tube noise is normal and I can get that with my iems. This is not the “hiss” though but more of a hum that isn’t responsive to volume and is audible through my Abyss Diana Phi which are not sensitive enough to fall in that “normal noise” situation.

Give this a shot - helped another Head-Fi'er here with the buzz on his Woo WA6-SE:

https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/humdinger-dc-line-blocker

I’ve got one of the iFi DC blockers and that didn’t sort out the issue.
https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/

The isolation transformer should be the last piece of my investigation and then I will try one more time at someone else’s house and call it a day.
Truth be told, it’s become more than it is. I would prefer that ”inky black background” but once the music starts I can’t hear anything of the offending sound with my headphones.
Hopefully the transformer arrives by the weekend and I can put this “issue” to rest.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #225 of 403
I find the 4.4 balanced output to be noisier and susceptible to EMI than the unbalanced.

Even though it is kinda advertised to be able to drive IEMs, I do not think it's a good amp for them due to their sensitivity especially through balanced 4.4. Haven't tested unbalanced extensively.

With headphones the noise is less noticeable and it's mostly due to a wireless soundbar that I have nearby. When I unplug the soundbar there is little to no noise.

Anyway, I'm really digging them with the R70x. Their synergy is incredible and it's the only amp that really makes them come alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back