New from Woo Audio - WA7 Fireflies (3rd Gen)
Mar 25, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #196 of 403
Folks. Just letting you know I had a brief email exchange with support at woo audio just asking a few questions. I thought you guys would appreciate the responses. This is my first tube amp so my questions are probably dumb by many of your standards as audiophiles but I hope some new people do find it helpful:

Here is the summary of the three questions and their response back to me:
-----
Q: Do you recommend turning the system off when its not in use?
A: We recommend powering OFF the system when not actively in use for more than 10–15 min. Leaving it ON when not in use for an extended period of time puts unnecessary wear on the tubes.

Q: Is there a suggested 'volume level' for the system to ensure an optimal lifespan for the tubes?
A: The listening level does not impact the tube's lifespan.

Q: Can the WA7 3rd gen adequately drive the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohms?
A: WA7 is designed for a wide range of headphones (8–600 Ohms). We made a short video in our FAQ Series about headphone impedance and many other audio related topics. Hope you like the videos and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhrWpf__OUQ
-----

So the one surprising response for me was the answer to Q2, people are swearing up and down that adjusting the volume impacts tube life. They are saying that isnt the case.

Apr 3, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #197 of 403
Is the cable supplied an OTG cable? I’m not too savvy with this stuff. I’m using a small android tablet and UAPP as my main listening but I’d like the option of Spotify and Apple Music but I can’t seem to get those to play. Is it the cable or are there permissions or settings I need to change?

Apr 3, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #198 of 403
I finally got Apple Music and Spotify to play the through the tablet.
Turns out UAPP was in the background preventing the connection.. duh…. Once I actually closed the UAPP app the music started.

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #199 of 403
I've always loved the aesthetics of the WA7. I was thinking about picking one up to use as a pre-amp to my Bakoon AMP-13R. Would it add any tube goodness to an already good amp, or I am just complicating things by added another device to the signal path?

Not much interest in the digital section as I prefer R2R dacs.

Apr 6, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #200 of 403
I've always loved the aesthetics of the WA7. I was thinking about picking one up to use as a pre-amp to my Bakoon AMP-13R. Would it add any tube goodness to an already good amp, or I am just complicating things by added another device to the signal path?

Not much interest in the digital section as I prefer R2R dacs.
So this is replacing my bifrost 2 and asgard 3 combo. So far I'm really happy with it

I'm honestly not seeing any real difference in resolution and detail from my old setup but definitely notice what the tubes are adding to the setup.

This was definitely a vanity purchase for my desktop and it's beautiful and it sounds great. The simplicity of a single small ish box is appreciated.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #201 of 403
A couple questions.

As a former 2 channel guy I have been looking at power conditioning and such. I recently replaced the outlet with an audio one from a while back and put in what I thought was a better power bar. With my Diana Phi’s the noise was not great but things were a bit worse with my earbuds. I took the power bar out of the mix and it’s much better but still there with earbuds.

*** Edit ***. Somene smarter than me reminded me that tube warm up is longer than 5 minutes.
Noise is really attenuated after proper warm up.

Any perceived benefit from a better USB cable? Thinking about shielding for noise and such. Looking at the Oyaide Neo d+ or something a bit better.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #202 of 403
A couple questions.

As a former 2 channel guy I have been looking at power conditioning and such. I recently replaced the outlet with an audio one from a while back and put in what I thought was a better power bar. With my Diana Phi’s the noise was not great but things were unusable with my earbuds. I took the power bar out of the mix and it’s much better but still quite loud with earbuds.

Has anyone with noise issues tried a DC blocker like this:

CAAFF4A8-DEDC-4719-B515-DBC5408A76B9.jpeg

Also looking at a Furutech Flow 28

F0E055EF-C0CC-42AC-9337-449867B3B2FA.jpeg

Second question:

Any perceived benefit from a better USB cable? Thinking about shielding for noise and such. Looking at the Oyaide Neo d+ or something a bit better.

If these have been specifically addressed I apologize. I’ll read the whole thread tonight.
Hi SBranson,

I used to have a lot of noise interference in my setup a while back, it was almost like catching radio frequencies.

I use these in the power cords, RCA connectors and why not, even in the USB cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Ferrite-Noise-Suppressor/dp/B0002MQGEK

It did help remove the noise through the system and it's a really cost effective solution.

Apr 12, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #203 of 403
Hi SBranson,

I used to have a lot of noise interference in my setup a while back, it was almost like catching radio frequencies.

I use these in the power cords, RCA connectors and why not, even in the USB cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Ferrite-Noise-Suppressor/dp/B0002MQGEK

It did help remove the noise through the system and it's a really cost effective solution.

Thanks! I had one of those on a cable behind the TV and put it in and it lowered the noise floor a bit...

Still wondering if the noise is partly DC. Maybe if I can find a used dc blocker I’ll try it and report back.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #204 of 403
I'd love to know if anyone else has a hum issue and a solution. It's becoming an obsession now and before I drop $200 on an ifi DC blocker, I'd like to know if anyone has tried that and the results both on the hum and whether there were any negative effects on the sound.

I've written to Woo Audio support to ask for advice on dealing with this.

*** edit again…***. Warm up is key.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #205 of 403
I'd love to know if anyone else has a hum issue and a solution. It's becoming an obsession now and before I drop $200 on an ifi DC blocker, I'd like to know if anyone has tried that and the results both on the hum and whether there were any negative effects on the sound.

I've written to Woo Audio support to ask for advice on dealing with this.
Start with the basics. Does it still him with everything disconnected? Does the hum change when you touch the metal part of the unit?

Apr 24, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #206 of 403
Start with the basics. Does it still him with everything disconnected? Does the hum change when you touch the metal part of the unit?
I’ve tried all that. No change when touching chassis or plugs so I don’t think it’s a grounding issue. I can hear the sound when I put my ear up to the amp. It‘s definitely there with my headphones on. I do have a power cable with an inline filter on the way but its more for rf and emi. I recently got a new usb cable and no change so it’s not there. I’m tempted to get a dc blocker but I’ll wait for both the cable and any word back from Woo Audio.
When the music is going it’s not an issue at all. It’s kind of just between songs.. OCD is making this very irritating.. ha.

I’ve been on iems and daps for so long the whole power thing hasn’t been an issue.

and again… after warm up it’s barely noticeable..

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #207 of 403
So this is replacing my bifrost 2 and asgard 3 combo. So far I'm really happy with it

I'm honestly not seeing any real difference in resolution and detail from my old setup but definitely notice what the tubes are adding to the setup.

This was definitely a vanity purchase for my desktop and it's beautiful and it sounds great. The simplicity of a single small ish box is appreciated.

Edit: grammar
@GamingNut So it has the exact sound signature as the Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 stack? That schiit stack should cost $948 and WA7 3rd gen costs $1399. So the additional cost of $451 adds nothing to the sound quality or characteristics?

The small form factor and the aesthetic is quite appealing though. It is like a piece of jewelry. But it'd be nice if there is an improvement or a unique characteristics to the sound of the WA7.

May 2, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #209 of 403
@kato1995 When I was talking about what the tubes add. I was referring to the warmth. It adds a ton of warmth while the schiit stack is much colder and more clinical to my ears.
@GamingNut Nice! I was looking for something less clinical. Thanks for the information!

How about the soundstage and imaging? Is it better than the schiit stack?

Edit: I am actually quite amazed with the ability of WA7 with ESS SABRE chip (sigma delta chip I believe?) to sound less analytical and clinical than the Schiit Multibit R2R DAC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back