New from Woo Audio - WA7 Fireflies (3rd Gen)
Feb 19, 2022 at 3:58 PM Post #181 of 403
I just received my WA7 3rd Gen today after using every previous gen. I have a electrical buzz that I hear on the LCD-5 that I can’t ignore. It is independent of volume.

Anyone else experiencing this? I’m very disappointed with it so far.
I am considering this amp. I have an OTL amp that works very well with my Verite but did not work with my LCD5. You mention a buzzing. I actually had to send by LCD5 back because of a buzzing I had. In addition the cable connector came out.

They had to replace the drivers. Do you have the buzzing on other amps? In my case it happened on all sources.

Mar 2, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #183 of 403
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but Woo Audio has the gen 2 on sale and I was wondering if it's still worth picking up? I've been looking for a nice dac/amp combo and I don't need the balanced or pre outs of the 3rd gen. Other than those updates, what else makes this worth $500 more than the gen 2?
My 2nd Gen has been my main headphone amp for a few years. It has performed flawlessly.
I will shortly be adding a WA2 to my main system and keeping the WA7 for use in my study. It is a great amp and it has sold me on Woo products. Built like a tank, great performance at it's respective price point and superb support from Woo Audio,

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #184 of 403
Anyone try the WA7 3rd Gen with the Susvara? Any thoughts?

If anyone is curious - I'm A/B testing my Woo Audio WA7 3rd Gen vs. a Ferrum Erco using a Hifiman Susvara.

1) The WA7 has no issue getting the Susvara to ear-deafening volumes with plenty of head room. Power doesn't seem to be an issue at all.
2) Personally, I can't tell the difference, going between the two.

For what it's worth, Mr. Wu from Woo Audio recommended against using the WA7 for the Susvara, and suggested to use higher end models.

Mar 6, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #185 of 403
Nothing - I have the Gen 3 and prefer the Gen 2. However, I like the space savings (no TP power supply) and the 4.4 output.

There is something about the stock Sovtek tubes on the Gen 1 and Gen 2 that I really, really miss.

Thank you for your insight into Gen 3 vs Gen 2. Been drooling over WA7 (G2) since canjam years ago. Now with the Gen 3 release, I’ve going back and forth between the two, since both seem to have their strengths.

I may go G3 due to smaller footprint, but if the G2 sounds a bit better, Imight try to find one used… tough call.

Anyone else that has compared the sound from G2 to G3? Can’t wait to finally get one one of these days!

Mar 6, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #186 of 403
Thank you for your insight into Gen 3 vs Gen 2. Been drooling over WA7 (G2) since canjam years ago. Now with the Gen 3 release, I’ve going back and forth between the two, since both seem to have their strengths.

I may go G3 due to smaller footprint, but if the G2 sounds a bit better, Imight try to find one used… tough call.

Anyone else that has compared the sound from G2 to G3? Can’t wait to finally get one one of these days!
Used Gen 2's pop up in the Classifieds often. I think there's one in thenow, in fact.

Edit: found one - https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/woo-audio-wa7-2nd-gen-with-tube-power-supply.21156/

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #187 of 403
Used Gen 2's pop up in the Classifieds often. I think there's one in thenow, in fact.

Edit: found one - https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/woo-audio-wa7-2nd-gen-with-tube-power-supply.21156/
Sweet!! Will definitely check it out. Appreciate it.

I actually bought a WA7 with TP on another site a few months ago for $700 that was being sold as Gen 2, but received it and it was actually Gen 1, so I returned it, sadly. So I guess I technically owned a WA7 for a day 🤣

Mar 13, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #188 of 403
Anyone with the 2nd gen tube psu ever try using a 12at7 instead of the 12au7? Supposedly they are somewhat interchangeable so I was just curious what kind of difference it would make.

Mar 15, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #189 of 403
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-from-woo-audio-wa7-fireflies-3rd-gen.959824/post-16573419

press release (or seemingly copy from it) says
" new ESS SABRE DAC chip"
https://www.esstech.com/products-overview/digital-to-analog-converters/sabre-audiophile-dacs/
looking here the 2nd Gen chip was
"ESS Sabre ES9018 K2M"
so their are 3 tiers "above" it

If you go back and look at the text of 3rd Gen description for clues
  • ESS SABRE Audiophile DAC up to 24-bit/384kHz PCM, and 128DSD/5.6MHz

vs the 2nd Gen
  • ESS SABRE DAC 24 bit, 384kHz PCM, and up to 128DSD

unfortunately if you ctrl+f audiophile in all the descriptions for all chip tiers it says "Audiophile" in the title or text referencing products so Audiophile gives us very little
However:
384kHz rules out these chips
ES9038Q2M -768kHz
ES9023P -200kHz
ES9033Q -768kHz
9006A - 192kHz
9080 - 768kHz
ES9026PRO - 768kHz
ES9028PRO - 768kHz
ES9038PRO - 768kHz

That is the entire Flagship "PRO" series ruled out(but does leave room for ES9028 C2M/Q2M) assuming it's description means it doesn't go past 384kHz....
Anyone can speculate on the rest, no idea what the addition of "/5.6MHz" means or it's significant.

I think it may be the ES9068AS which is the only one possible that is described in title as "Audiophile" and one of only 2, the other being ruled out(for different PCM value than 384kHz) described as "32bit Stereo Audiophile DAC*"... but again the 2 categories without "Audiophile" in the title say it in the description lol, so Woo Audio pages technically could be referencing anything but it does seem like more details were added on purpose.

Anyway TL: DR it does seem from the text on here it was changed but what chip is not clear, gotta ask, cannot find this info anywhere via multiple google searches or GL searching.

That said I am still unsure why you guys don't like the 2nd gen chip so much? Is it that much different from the ES9018S? They are brothers in name, and of course the S has more channels than the K2m(whatever that means;n00b) I actually decided to bite the bullet and am running my Oppo HA-1's preamp to the 1st Gen, the Oppo has a ES9018S... this is the same ES9018S used by the DAC/AMP in the HE-1 Orpheus... not sure but I think maybe there were "better" chips like the 9028 around then but in my mind it has beaten everything I have tried vs it... I can see why they used it, it's almost perfect mix of smooth, resolving and detailed IMO, sure a 9028PRO & 9038PRO will "blow it away"(see slight improvement) for raw forward detail but it's also sterile as hell, I actually assumed all SABRE chips were like this and was shocked when I first heard a D90SE. Heck I prefer the TI Burr Brown in the Gen 1 to the D90SE... Is the ES 9018K2m really that different?

anyway the only way to know the chip is to ask I guess worst that can be happen is they tell you it's a secret, lol..
. But I will add this thing is freaking amazing with the smoothly implemented ES9018S of the Oppo HA-1. I almost feel vindicated after years of loving this DAC despite people calling it outdated vs the newer SABRE chips, then a year ago I found the Orpheus has the same chip and I realized I have very great taste, should I keep tooting my own horn?📯🤡📣

(to anyone who doesn't like second gen chip, not "calling you out" I honestly have no idea of the differences on the K2M and on my ES9018S it sounds AMAZING so I am curious honestly of the differences to the K2M and just bit confused because the "better" more sterile chips seems to turn this already not super tubey amp more away from the tubey/smooth sound, but maybe that is what you prefer? Interested to hear your opinions!)

The other way to know what chip they use is to simply open one of these up, find the component, and look at what it says; shouldn't be too difficult. That said, I'm not doing it :p because I already jumped the gun and purchased standalone DACs.

Also relatedly, I found that the soundstage on these was far improved by feeding from a Topping D70s (with AKM AK4497EQ chip). The improvement of instrument separation is like night and day; it sounds like an orchestra with instrumentalists starting and stopping at distinct times, now. The SMSL Sanskrit 10th MKⅡ (AKM AK4493) was also noticeably improved in this regard. Relatedly, it's somewhat saddening that the WA7s can't take in balanced analog input (only RCA).

Mar 18, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #190 of 403
So I got the new WA7 3rd Gen today and I spent the last 2 hours A/B testing it against my RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I tested them against each other using both of them as standalone DAC/Amp combos, and also when using the RME as the DAC and comparing the RME's own amp against the WA7's. I did a similar comparison in the past comparing the RME's amp section against a Feliks Audio Echo Mk 2 where I could consistently spot a difference.

In the case of the WA7, I couldn't. It sounds just like the RME. I tried using my Diana v2, ZMF Verite Open and Focal Radiance - 3 headphones with significantly different power requirements - low impedance low sensitivity planar, high impedance highish sensitivity dynamic driver, and low impedance high sensitivity dynamic driver. I used short track sections to test for sound stage ('Stay' off the Interstellar soundtrack), sub bass rumble (2049 opening off the Blade Runner 2049 OST), and bass slam (kick drums in Reapers by Muse). In all cases I could not spot a difference.

Whether this is good or bad really depends on you what you're hoping to get. It also doesn't mean that you won't be able to spot a difference. It's also possible that if I find the time to do more A/B testing I will be able to reliably spot a difference. Finally note that it seems like compared to the broader community I'm not one that tends to notice minute details / differences, but personally, I think I can conclude that at the very least the WA7 is not an especially "tubey" sounding amp, I guess it's more similar to a low distortion hybrid amp like the Schiit Lyr and such that generally sound like solid state gear.

Now I have to choose if I want to give up on the RME's EQ section and stick to just the WA7, or keep the RME's DAC and use the WA7's amp as a stack, or return the WA7 and stick to the RME. The WA7 sure is pretty :) It also doesn't take up a lot of space, it stacks beautifully with the RME (they are the exact same depth and have a very similar color / finish). The WA7 also has the option of tube rolling.

I'd also be happy to take requests - I have a ZMF VC, Aeolus, Auteur, Eikon, an HD 800s, as well as the aforementioned Diana v2, VO, and Focal Radiance. If you want me to do a comparison using your test track / headphones that I have on hand I'd be happy to.
Hi thank your observations and review.

I also have the Focal Radiance and thinking on buying the HD800S paired with the WA7 3rd Gen.

How do you see the synergy both of these headphones and differences vs using them against solid state DAC?

I currently have a Schiit Magni 2/Modi 3 stack, but thinking on getting something like the Bifrost 2 or Gungnir but not sure if the WA7 will be enough as
both, DAC and AMP or just to keep it as AMP and still pair it with another DAC.

I'll be interested in read your thoughts on these comparisons and setups.

Mar 22, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #191 of 403
Hi thank your observations and review.

I also have the Focal Radiance and thinking on buying the HD800S paired with the WA7 3rd Gen.

How do you see the synergy both of these headphones and differences vs using them against solid state DAC?

I currently have a Schiit Magni 2/Modi 3 stack, but thinking on getting something like the Bifrost 2 or Gungnir but not sure if the WA7 will be enough as
both, DAC and AMP or just to keep it as AMP and still pair it with another DAC.

I'll be interested in read your thoughts on these comparisons and setups.

I just pulled the trigger on the wa7 third gen. I wanted a nice looking integrated unit with tubes that I can add an external DAC if i want to.

I currently have a bifrost/asgard 3 and look forward to comparing them to the wa7 3rd gen.

The nice thing here for me is I can try out the bifrost with the wa7 and see how they pair as well. Though, I will want to use wa7 exclusively for my desktop and move the schiit stack to somewhere else in the house. We'll see.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #192 of 403
New owner here. Bought this Monday to pair with my Diana Phi’s. It arrived yesterday and I’m really enjoying the pairing. A bit of tube rolling with some NOS tubes I’ve had for 15 years from back in my 2 channel days

Philips Miniwatt SQ 7316 (12au7 variant)

42A94FEA-F603-4A19-88F6-CAABCB52F3D2.jpeg

But these are the bee’s knees. Boy they sound great.
Amperex Bugle Boy 7316

FE254E82-41A0-49E9-9472-72032B1180E2.jpeg

I am amazed how silent this amp is.
It’s been too long since I’ve had a nice tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back