New from Woo Audio - WA7 Fireflies (3rd Gen)
Dec 25, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #361 of 403
To each their own, but it seems like a bad idea on a couple levels. Aren't you worried about heat from the tubes under that glass ashtray (even with a gap)?

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #362 of 403
To each their own, but it seems like a bad idea on a couple levels. Aren't you worried about heat from the tubes under that glass ashtray (even with a gap)?
The wa7 doesn't hardly even get warm i have run it for hours & absolutely no heat at all.
The ashtray breaths air really well & it does look really good at night. Lol

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #363 of 403
Jan 5, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #364 of 403
Still looking for definitive differences between 2nd and 3rd gen, will do my best but I only have G2 and no inside info -
1. tubes (6C45 vs 12AU7)
2. G3 moves power supply internal
3. G3 adds pentacon and removes 3.5mm (1/4" is common to both)
4. G2 has DAC-only mode which changes to pre-amp mode on G3

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #365 of 403
Still looking for definitive differences between 2nd and 3rd gen, will do my best but I only have G2 and no inside info -
1. tubes (6C45 vs 12AU7)
2. G3 moves power supply internal
3. G3 adds pentacon and removes 3.5mm (1/4" is common to both)
4. G2 has DAC-only mode which changes to pre-amp mode on G3
Also gen 3 has a 4.4 balance & 3.5 output jacks on the back with a switch that allows you to use the gen3 as a pre/amp to another amp.
I use my gen3 as a preamp to my darkvoice using a 3.5 to rca cable from gen3 to rca on darkvoice & my astell&kern is plugged into the usb-b on the gen3.
This increases the rich tube sound of my darkvoice tube amp with help from the gen3.
Also I have better range with my volume control. Love it.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #368 of 403
The gen2 also has a ESS SABRE dac but on the woo audio site it said the gen3 was updated & improved.
All this information is available if you search for it.
Yes I had seen some semi-ambiguous information from Woo but was hoping someone had either opened the sucker up or was otherwise willing to share the nitty gritty.

I could open up my G2 but have no plans to buy a 3.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #369 of 403
The gen2 also has a ESS SABRE dac but on the woo audio site it said the gen3 was updated & improved.
All this information is available if you search for it.
i have an email from Mike from woo audio saying the wa7 3rd gen has the same dac as in the wa8 (which is quite disappointing imo).

if you wonder whats the context, i asked him of the wa8 would give me a close experience to my wa7 when i am away from desk, because i assume the wa8's dac is older and maybe not in par with wa7's dac or newer dacs in general.
so he confirmed they both have same dac.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #370 of 403
Anyone who can direct me to the better way pairing a cayin n8ii to the wa7 3rd gen?

1. 4.4mm out from n8ii to wa7 rca in.
2. type c from n8ii to wa7 usb.

I wonder if both ways are valid and if so, which one is preferred over the other?

Also please correct me if im wrong but when pairing the n8ii he will act as both dac and preamp, which should improve the wa7 sound and provide me some extra volume?

Thank you.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #371 of 403
i have an email from Mike from woo audio saying the wa7 3rd gen has the same dac as in the wa8 (which is quite disappointing) imo.
What was wrong with the wa8 dac ?
The wa7 3rd gen has had really good reviews that prefer it over previous models.
But besides the reviews I real love this dac/amp & even use it as a preamp/dac for my darkvoice se336.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #374 of 403
Anyone who can direct me to the better way pairing a cayin n8ii to the wa7 3rd gen?

1. 4.4mm out from n8ii to wa7 rca in.
2. type c from n8ii to wa7 usb.

I wonder if both ways are valid and if so, which one is preferred over the other?

Also please correct me if im wrong but when pairing the n8ii he will act as both dac and preamp, which should improve the wa7 sound and provide me some extra volume?

Thank you.
I paired mine using wa7 to darkvoice with the 3.5 output jack to rca in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back