New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Aug 13, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #47 of 647
Screenshot_20220804-155318_Reddit.jpg

the cat's well and truly out of the bag so go knock yourselves out
Screenshot_20220804-155318_Reddit.jpg

the cat's well and truly out of the bag so go knock yourselves out
I picked up a pair of 2020 Utopia brand new for $3500. I love the sound and switch off with LCD-5s which sound just as good to me, but with different planar sound. I thought of returning the Utopia after hearing about the new model. My Focal Clear dropped in price by a third with the MG release, and I prefer the OG sound better. I hope the bottom doesn't fall on the price of the 2020 Utopia though besides widening the sound stage, lower weight, and increased driver reliability, I can't imagine how much better the new model will be, I love the Focasl house sound. Will it be $1500 better as new headphones seem to sell close to the list price? Any thoughts on returning and waiting or holding if I love the current sound? Just don't know how much lower 2020 may go below $3500. Thanks.

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #48 of 647
I picked up a pair of 2020 Utopia brand new for $3500. I love the sound and switch off with LCD-5s which sound just as good to me, but with different planar sound. I thought of returning the Utopia after hearing about the new model. My Focal Clear dropped in price by a third with the MG release, and I prefer the OG sound better. I hope the bottom doesn't fall on the price of the 2020 Utopia though besides widening the sound stage, lower weight, and increased driver reliability, I can't imagine how much better the new model will be, I love the Focasl house sound. Will it be $1500 better as new headphones seem to sell close to the list price? Any thoughts on returning and waiting or holding if I love the current sound? Just don't know how much lower 2020 may go below $3500. Thanks.
You might be able to get a better deal on the 2020 model once the 2022 model is official announced. You’d think dealers would want to sell off their old stock, since this is a replacement and not new addition. Less confusing to just be selling the latest model.

Aug 13, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #49 of 647
I think that's probably why I received a new-in-box for $900 below the list price last month. The question is how low will they go. This model is "long in the tooth" but still sounds superb, looks great, is comfortable, and holds its own against new headphones in this price range. The soundstage, the weight, and the driver are 3 areas where improvement is possible in one of the greatest sounding headphones I ever heard.

Aug 13, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #50 of 647
One thing is clear, at $5,000 I'm out.
As soon as the first used ones settle around 3000, I'm back in.
What I don't like about the current Utopia is that it punishes particularly high volumes with compression. However, it is particularly important to me that I can listen to EDM very loud.
Therefore, I hope that in particular, has been improved
I doubt that the Utopia is compressing. It's your eardrum and inner hear mechanisms that are compressing. Seriously.

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #51 of 647
Perhaps it is a phenomenon that exists in connection with dynamic drivers.
In any case, to my ears, a HE6SE, Arya Stealth, LCD-5 (for example), sounds more dynamic and cleaner at very high volumes.

Aug 14, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #52 of 647
At this point, perhaps a classification of whining would be appropriate:
I love the Utopia, and this is whining at the very highest level.

Aug 14, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #53 of 647
In any case, to my ears, a HE6SE, Arya Stealth, LCD-5 (for example), sounds more dynamic and cleaner at very high volumes.
perhaps it's your ears
At this point, perhaps a classification of whining would be appropriate:
I love the Utopia, and this is whining at the very highest level.
your whining is noted

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #55 of 647
My crystal ball says: the new Utopia will be another milestone

Aug 14, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #57 of 647
It is well known that the Focals have problems in this respect, especially the Clear MG.
This is the first time I've heard of it but you claim that this is a common issue. Is it a common problem with Focal in general?

Is this something you've experienced with other dynamic driver headphone?

Aug 14, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #58 of 647
No

Aug 14, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #59 of 647
Clear MG is also not better then Clear OG maybe worser. Maybe that's the same case with old vs. new Utopia.
The best is they make a Utopia Grande and not for 1000€ a bit changes.

Clear MG is also not better then Clear OG maybe worser. Maybe that's the same case with old vs. new Utopia.
The best is they make a Utopia Grande and not for 1000€ a bit changes.
All speculation but the Clear MG came out at the same list price as the original Clear. Perhaps replacement Utopia will come out at $4400 current list since 2020 Utopia is selling at a major discount today. I have seen US$3500.

Aug 14, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #60 of 647
All speculation but the Clear MG came out at the same list price as the original Clear. Perhaps replacement Utopia will come out at $4400 current list since 2020 Utopia is selling at a major discount today. I have seen US$3500.
Very high doubt on this one. Dealers always have wiggleroom on stuff like this but I would be shocked if they didnt increase the RRP a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back