New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Sep 15, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #226 of 647
From reddit

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #227 of 647
From reddit

Looks like the photo was taken at kopfhoererboutique :) :smile: but doesn't have to be (the user posted in the past a picture at kopfhoererboutique).

1663275279414.png

The screenshot was totally random, but its funny because Oluvs face expression is like 80% in his videos. Not happy 🙃

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #228 of 647
Sep 15, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #230 of 647
looking at this image, i wouldn't be surprised if the new model sounds more open than the original
According to the owner on reddit it does sound more open

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #231 of 647
Clear MG is also not better then Clear OG maybe worser. Maybe that's the same case with old vs. new Utopia.
The best is they make a Utopia Grande and not for 1000€ a bit changes.
But that's the thing - I don't think they can. Utopia is already bumping up against the scientific ceiling of what dynamic drivers can do. Utopia already uses the same driver (tweeter) that's in their highest end speakers. If there was any room to improve that they would have already done it. I think a minor tweak to the voice coil, honeycomb mesh on the cups, and the promise of better reliability is all they got. Not that I'm complaining - I love my Utopia. Just being realistic.

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #232 of 647
But that's the thing - I don't think they can. Utopia is already bumping up against the scientific ceiling of what dynamic drivers can do. Utopia already uses the same driver (tweeter) that's in their highest end speakers. If there was any room to improve that they would have already done it. I think a minor tweak to the voice coil, honeycomb mesh on the cups, and the promise of better reliability is all they got. Not that I'm complaining - I love my Utopia. Just being realistic.
Here 👆🏼is the most logical and realistic take on these, reading the preceding 16 pages of noise and scratching my head about what needs to improve upon. It all reads as if they are looking for another headphone all together, rather than the Utopia, see how many post again with actual Utopia 2022 in hand for more than a few months rather than backseat QB’ing.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #234 of 647
Sep 16, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #235 of 647
The silver headphone cable connector is a damn shame :deadhorse:

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #236 of 647
Sep 16, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #237 of 647
The silver headphone cable connector is a damn shame :deadhorse:
The real shame is the quality control— notice the center ring was accidentally mounted upside down. Good luck to all the early buyers.

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #239 of 647
The real shame is the quality control— notice the center ring was accidentally mounted upside down. Good luck to all the early buyers.
I already bought it, so I’ll know very soon. My ring better not be upside down though :beyersmile:

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #240 of 647
if focal's engineers have succeeded in expanding the 'soundstage' of the new utopia by opening up the baffle more, then i think that could be regarded as an improvement by those who find the current utopia's presentation too 'closed-in'
Here is the most logical and realistic take on these, reading the preceding 16 pages of noise and scratching my head about what needs to improve upon. It all reads as if they are looking for another headphone all together, rather than the Utopia, see how many post again with actual Utopia 2022 in hand for more than a few months rather than backseat QB’ing.
i don't think that it is the 'most logical and realistic take' tbh. as mentioned above, if the new utopia's 'soundstage' has increased by making the baffle more open, then such a change may be welcome by folks who find that to be a shortcoming of the original utopia but are attracted to it otherwise. and there's always 'noise' in anticipation of a new flagship headphone release. it's not too egregious here compared to some other threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back