New Focal Utopia for 2022: impressions
Aug 10, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #17 of 647
I'm gg to take the plunge. have sold off my Utopia in anticipation of the new one. didn't make that much of a loss, considering I got them for a great price about 3 years ago off audiogon. a bit of a top up for a new hp and new warranty/supposedly more reliable drivers is ok imo. in any case, I'm a big fan of the Focal house sound, plus I really don't think the new model would/should sound worse than the current one.

I quite like the stealth look of the new model, plus that bit of red peeking thru the centre. would have preferred the cups being a bit more curved like the old Utopia, rather than the flat-ish looking cups but no biggie. the honeycomb looks very modern; will match the looks of the SR1b when I receive that.

Aug 10, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 647
Ready to join the Utopia team again after I sold off the Utopia OG. Dynamic drivers still have their place as they have a different type of presentation compared to planar headphones.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #19 of 647
I prefer the look of the original. Not just saying that because I have the original and it would be inconvenient to swap to this. I have no problem doing that. I just think the original looks more classy. This looks more sporty/edgy. I'm the former camp, especially for a luxury, high-costing device.

The forged-carbon stems look plain ugly to me, almost cheapens the product. And I liked the contrast of the silver ring on the original. Makes it less interesting to make it black like everything else. The original had the red inner ring as well, though I guess it's more prominent on this one. Again, a more sporty look.

What makes me most apprehensive is the flame logo right in front (or behind) the center of the driver. This makes absolutely no sense performance-wise. You're blocking some of that released energy/wave for brand placement. Even if it's minimal acoustic inference, I just can't stand by it.

Aug 10, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #20 of 647
I liked the slightly recessed jacks on the original design. I don't like how these plus stick out of the bottom so much.

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #21 of 647
At first, I also liked the look of the old one better.
That has changed in the meantime.
The more often I see the new one, the better I like it.
At the same time, the old Utopia looks more and more boring. I have never liked the grid

Aug 10, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #22 of 647
Is this for real? Looks like Focal has taken a leaf out of the Beyerdynamic playbook - updating their flagship headphone with the look and feel of a budget model.
I agree. Looks kind of cheap

Aug 10, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #23 of 647
I bet it looks better in person. I like the new look better except for the carbon fiber. I like the cross-stitch look of the original one. Not sure what to make of the new swirl design.

I got a good deal on open box model with full warranty and can probably sell for minimum loss but I’d still need to fork out full price for the new model. Not sure what that gets me? I know the original model has higher fail rate but is that fail rate by numbers or over time. Does the longer I own it increase likelihood it will fail or was it just those many unlucky people that got bad units in the first place? Think I might be more interested if there were bigger sound upgrades but seems to be minor tweaks.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #24 of 647
Screenshot_20220804-155318_Reddit.jpg

the cat's well and truly out of the bag so go knock yourselves out
Looks okay, but at $5000 they still keeping that same typical focal look for their top flagship? Could easily pass for a drop.com focal X type of headphone.

Give it wings or something 🤔

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #25 of 647
In my country the listed expected price is 4999 euros, is the change of the coil a justification for an 1000 euros more in price.

I still think the old Utopia are a more visual appealing on the design of some elements. The carbon fiber is better looking and the chrome is a beautiful touch.

The new 2022 to me feels they tried to cut on some material to reduce weight, gave it a more discreet look, but to me feels less premium, and the 1000 euros increase makes the new one a more difficult to get unit, even the current and now outdated utopia were a difficult to digest 3999 euros price. But in the times we are living charging more and more has been a routine lately.

Other interesting thing in the product description is that focal admits problems on the old Focal utopia. I Am curious how widespread are those problems.

Aug 11, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #26 of 647
I wished Focal would have redesigned the headband so they're easily/affordably replaceable on their second generation of audiophile headphones. They should have introduced a new headband with the Clear Mg and Utopia.

Aug 12, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #28 of 647
One question,
what is actually the source of these pictures, and informations.
And where is the link to it?

Aug 12, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #30 of 647
the dark web
This made me laugh. Imagine if there was some .onion site accessed only by TOR, entirely dedicated pre-release info about headphones. People trading bitcoin and ethereum for secrets.

....maybe there is.......(I'm joking.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back