New .flac player for iOS devices
Feb 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

etherealalabs

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am a huge fan of open reel tape corders, and I decided to create a .flac player for the iPad that has a tape recorder as the main UI.

I hired my brother´s company and decided to create this app as a hobby, please let me know what you think and I am open to any suggestions.

Features Open reel for the iPad
Cassettes for iPod and iPhone
Different libraries for .flac and iTunes, accesible via a switch
Airplay
Homescreen controls

I am adding a "refresh library" button so when you add more .flacs, you dont have to reboot the app.

You can find it here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ethereal-audio-player/id575667873?mt=8

Thank you very much, and any feedback is very, very welcome!

Patricio Marquez
patricio@etherealaudiolabs.com

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 12
Hello guys, currently the open reel tapecorders available inside the app are the Revox PR99 and the Technichs RS1500, both I have at home and we used them for modeling, we are working on the Tascam BR-20 and the Fostex E-2, any ideas on another models that we can work on? we can only use vertical machines at the moment...

Thank you all!!

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 12
IMeh.
I thought this was a free version of the app you were offering to head-fiers in return for feedback.

Flacplayer app offered codes to a few head-fiers as a gift in return for feedback during its various beta phases of which i partook, and I guess its a token payment towards free advertising and exposure on head-fi.

I am currently enjoying accudio app as my current flac app. It also has a free version. I bought the paid version after demoing the free version.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
IMeh.
I thought this was a free version of the app you were offering to head-fiers in return for feedback.

Flacplayer app offered codes to a few head-fiers as a gift in return for feedback during its various beta phases of which i partook, and I guess its a token payment towards free advertising and exposure on head-fi.

I am currently enjoying accudio app as my current flac app. It also has a free version. I bought the paid version after demoing the free version.

Actually it´s a good idea, I will work on getting some codes in the next couple of days, please send me an email to patricio@etherealaudiolabs.com and I will send you a code, I can offer a few to the users of this forum.

Than you!!

Feb 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Thank you very much, and any feedback is very, very welcome!

Patricio Marquez
patricio@etherealaudiolabs.com

Quote:
Actually it´s a good idea, I will work on getting some codes in the next couple of days, please send me an email to patricio@etherealaudiolabs.com and I will send you a code, I can offer a few to the users of this forum.

Than you!!

And that is how good business is conducted.

Kudos to you.

Email sent. Thank you for your kind offer.

Feb 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 12
A code for access to app was thoughtfully sent to me from EtherealAudioLabs for their app `Ethereal audio player`.

It will take a couple of weeks to give it a good test then I will post my findings as a mini review.

Thanks again to EtherealAudioLabs (Blimp Mx) for going to the Extra! trouble for someone in Japan.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
A code for access to app was thoughtfully sent to me from EtherealAudioLabs for their app `Ethereal audio player`.

It will take a couple of weeks to give it a good test then I will post my findings as a mini review.

Thanks again to EtherealAudioLabs (Blimp Mx) for going to the Extra! trouble for someone in Japan.

I want top thank you very much for the bug reports and the review so far, It has been very useful!!! Thank you very very much my friend!!

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Hey, I just went ahead and bought this.  Due to my phone being out for repairs for a bit, I'm stuck on iOS for a while.  So, I just went for it.  I've been lurking around Head-fi long enough, figured I may as well start contributing.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #10 of 12
Caveat.
The makers of this app gave me a code to try it out.

EtherealAudioLabs - Ethereal Audio Player app.

What is it?
A FLAC playing app to use on Apple devices. ipod touch/iphone/ipad.
It also supports ogg and wav.

Does it work?
Yes.
Although I did have some trouble initially adding files via itunes. The app would not open and crashed several times.
I `fixed` this by just adding one track and opening the app then adding further tracks.
-On their website they suggest dragging and dropping tracks I noticed today, admittedly I was using the itunes add button as I do for flacplayer and Accudio apps.

The sound. 
Track. The Greatest by Cat Power. Using Fostex hp_p1 and ATH-ESW9.

It is on a similar par with flacplayer and Accudio app in terms of sound quality.
There are slight differences in terms of treble, mids and presence of bass between each of the above apps. Only noticeable by listening critically.

Fostex hp_p1.
Ethereal - Airy,  more treble.
Accudio - more micro detail,  mids, closest to flat.
Flacplayer - neutral, sharp, vocals.

Headphone out of iphone 4
Ethereal- pronounced bass, treble, recessed mids.
Accudio-Clear, good at high volume also.
Flacplayer-forward vocals, mids. (If using eq to lower gain to -8dbs as accudio app it becomes more even).

Accudio player wins, Flacplayer second, and Ethereal third.

Functions.
There are minimal functions. There is an effect button that I couldn`t tell If it did anything.
Some functions dont seem to work.

A plus is that I can access my mp3/ALAC tracks within the menu also (Accudio app also has this function).

Comparisons.
Ethereal Audio Player $3.99
Basic layout.
Access to FLAC and itunes library.
No frills.
Micro purchases of different `skins` available. Did not seem to work luckily.
Effect button and fast forward/rewind buttons did not work for me.
No track scrubbing.

Flacplayer   $9.99
Plays FLAC.
has a 10 band equalizer and gain adjuster.
Fairly reliable, easy UI.

Accudio free version
Play FLAC for free on you iOS device. (It says no FLAC on free but I was able by just adding favorite individual tracks).
Allows you to save one setting for your reference headphones choice.
Access to FLAC and itunes library(see first point).
Can download one free setting to custom set your headphones.
Easy UI.

Accudio pro for $4.99
Allows you to save as many settings as you want.
Access to FLAC, OOG  and itunes library.
Easy UI.
EQ.
Can reference set your headphones via their list.
Custom EQ setting.

Accudio wins with Flacplayer a close and honorable second, Ethereal in third.

Summary.
Flacplayer has been around a while has has had many updates and customer feedback and through that has developed into a great app.
Accudio is a new kid on the block developed by the Goldenears group, they have released a wonderful product straight off the bat. I look forward to future updates.
Ethereal Audio Player is new, does its function at the bare minimum. I would like to see more functions such as scrubbing, free skins, EQ.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 12
Hello ExpatinJapan!! thank you very very much for your feedback and comments, we have released a new update, and now we are working on the next... 

"We have released and update to our iOS lossless music player app, Ethereal Audio Payer, featuring bug fixes, new skins and easier library management. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ethereal-audio-player/id575667873?mt=8 Thank you all for your feedback!"

We have sorted a lot of library management issues, added more skins and a function to reload the library without the need of killing the app to reload the library!

Thank you!!

Patricio Marquez

Users who are viewing this thread

Back