new firmware for the Apogee MiniDAC’s USB board
Oct 6, 2005 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bpfiguer

100+ Head-Fier
I just got this e-mail from Apogee support:

Sept 20th, 2005
Apogee announces the availability of new firmware for the MiniDAC’s USB daughter board. This firmware resolves
the following issue:
• Communication between the computer and the MiniDAC is interrupted, resulting in the Mini
DAC’s loss of lock or the emission of noises from the Analog outputs. These symtoms
may occur when switching between Core Audio compatible audio applications.
To update firmware, EPROM U1 on the USB daughter board must be replaced with one labelled 1.03, obtained
from Apogee Electronics. This EPROM is available free of charge to all registered MiniDAC owners.
1 Disconnect the power supply.
2 Remove the MiniDAC top cover by unscrewing the two upper 1/16” allen screws on the front
and back panels.
3 Verify the presence of a jumper across P13 on the Main MiniDAC board (as indicated below).
5 Remove the two USB daughter board retaining screws, and lift the USB daughter board out of
the unit.
6 On the USB daughter board, locate EPROM U1 (indicated below), note the orientation of the
semicircular notch at one end of the EPROM, and gently removet the EPROM.
7 Orient the new EPROM similarly to the old one and gently press it into the socket.
8 Re-install the USB daughter board according to the instructions in the MiniDAC manual, p.14.

Oct 7, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 5
I received the same email yesterday, responded to it, and got a reply this morning that a new eprom was in the mail to me. Not shabby at all.

Oct 7, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 5
this is truly great as that (loss of sync using coreaudio apps) has been the only problem i've had with my minidac, though infrequent enough to not really be an issue. it's great of them to actually replace the firmware for free rather than provide a software patch or something.

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 5
i received my new eprom from apogee. it was not very well packaged, and all the legs on the eprom were bent. fortunately, i was able to bend them straight and install it. the whole process was fairly simple and would have taken less than 10 minutes without the bent legs. now i can hear tighter bass, extended treble, and more detailed mids (just kidding). i havent used it enough to tell whether all the usb issues have been ironed out. so far so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back