New Even Earphones - Tuned to Your Sound
Jul 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DaddyMojo

100+ Head-Fier
I saw this come up on one of my Google News feeds and spent some time reviewing their site.  They have a sound tuning app that resides on their site that is supposed to mimic what the earphones are supposed to do once you have it.   

When you listen to it, it asks you to press a button when you start to hear the music and it gives you an EQ that is customized to your sound.  Very interesting concept and I would like to hear comments from anyone who has ordered or listened to them.

Here is the website link:  https://www.geteven.co/

The website says the first order was sold out and the next order fills in August.  I guess I am not sold that the various EQ settings or EQ apps out there that allow you to customize your sound are any different than the process they use.  I can say from using the website, I did notice a distinct difference and my daughter performed the same test and her sound and parameters were very different from mine. 

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 8
I got a pair. I had previously tested the frequency response of my ears using an app on my phone with oppo pm3s and saw roll off at high frequencies. With the even s my hearing response appeared flatter. I still like the oppos better. As far as items I think some of my others sound better. I usually end up using the RBH ep-3s

Jul 25, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 8
No problem, it is always good to hear comments from people who have actually sampled the gear instead of people who have "heard" from people who sampled it.  I think the marketing may be a bit gimmicky, but the idea of customizing a sound per your hearing is a pretty cool concept.  I think that down the road, this could really be useful to customize sound per user, although I see it as a hardware app maybe more than an IEM.

I have looked at OPPO as well, it is one that is on my list. Thanks again for your comments.

Jul 26, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 8
I kept them. I will try to figure out what I did not like about them as much as some of my other IEMs. in general I know that I find many IEMs and headphones fatigueing, which is why I like the Oppos, so maybe boosting the highs is not such a good idea for me. I will have to listen again to see.

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 8
I read a review about the Even headphones in MacWorld and visited the website, where they will let you test your hearing to create an 'EarPrint'. It only takes a few minutes to do this. Once you generate your EarPrint, you can listen to different genres of music to see how the EarPrint corrects your hearing deficiencies and improves the sound of music. I was impressed with the concept; the results, left some questions. I will not tolerate artifacts of any signal processing. What I heard was a slight increase in volume, and some image degradation. I used Westone W60's and Beyer DT990's to generate ear prints from their website, https://www.geteven.co.

I decided to order a pair to test the real thing. I won't waste much time reviewing the phones. (I ordered the earphones, but I see they now offer over-the-ear headphones too.) First off, they are well-made and have a single, 10mm dynamic driver in each phone. Creating the EarPrint is so easy and takes little time. The result: again, I detected an increase in volume, but also some shifting of the image and soundstage. I am not used to listening to dynamic driver earphones, and the quality fell far short of what I experienced with my stock equipment. I sent back the phones and Even graciously refunded the purchase amount and shipping cost. 

If Even offers EarPrint technology in, say, dongle form, that could be used with my existing IEM's or headphones, I would be VERY interested. There is no doubt that this approach to audio tuning is drastically needed. I compare the experience to that of watching an HD movie or looking at visual art while not wearing corrective lenses. Without the correction, you're missing the total experience.

I found another approach to customized tuning that involves two iOS apps from Mimi Hearing Technologies, Mimi Hearing Test, and Mimi Music. The hearing test lets you listen to a series of tones at different frequencies and loudness. Each ear is measured separately and a profile (ear print) is generated and saved. You can see in graphical form where the deficiencies are. Mine shows a dip at 4khz, and then a recovery toward the higher frequencies up to about 16khz. That 4khz dip makes a huge impact in my ability to hear music as it was recorded and reproduced in my IEMs. The Mimi Music app uses your ear print and acts as a music player. It lets you listen to Spotify songs and Apple Music (with some DRM restrictions). I find that the soundstage, and imaging of my IEMs are positively impacted by this technology. You can control the amount of 'mimification' you apply to the songs. I can honestly say that the experience of using Mimi technologies is similar to the delight you experience when you get your first pair of corrective glasses. You are finally seeing (hearing) things the way they were meant, with fuller fidelity at lower volumes. 

How this technology could be incorporated into our existing musical and speech media (television) remains to be seen. Without it, I strongly suspect that reviews of audio technology that don't recognize the variance and limitations of individuals' human hearing response are questionable at best. Bottomline: what sounds 'excellent' to one reviewer's golden ears is probably not excellent for everyone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back