New Ety's
Jan 7, 2007 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

germanium

Headphoneus Supremus
Just bought me a pair of er4p's. Ordered from Amazon.com for about 160 dollars. Will report back after I recieve them.

Jan 13, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 17
Had some listening time with them now & all I can say is I take back everything bad I said about balanced armatures. These are exceptionally well balanced top to bottom. PiccoloNameK, you were right!! These are exceptionally dynamic & have the proper body to back it up.

Dynamic drivers have shown in the past to have the most bass but not accurate bass like these have.These match the best dynamics for bass quatity but with one very important difference. These never ever sound tubby or loosy goosy.

They have have the attack that I previously only experienced with live musc yet the sound has the proper weight to it.

These are the only balanced armatures that I've heard that do pipe organ justice as well, plumbing the depths of the lowest notes with equal authority as the best dynamics. All this with unrivalled detail even in the lowest of notes. Absolutely no sloppy sound here.

The only negative soundwise is the slightly tipped up top octave. Not enough though to be harsh. Live music, especially amplified live music is freqently this way though too so it may not really be a negative.

The only other negatives really don't involve the sound of the phone but are typical of IEM's in general. Without going into too much detail as these have already been well documented. Cord noise & body noises are very audible. Cord noises though are actually less than the Altech IM716, IM616 & HK's EP720, EP730's. The ER4P's also have a better clip design than the others mentioned & this really helps as well as thinner more flexable cords leading to the earphones themselves.

My conversations with Etymotic on the phone were very pleasant as well. This is one of the few companies left that real people actually answer the phone, not some machine that takes forever to get though all the menues only then to get some butthead on the other end that hasn't got a clue as to what your talking about if the conversation is at all technical in nature.

Kudos to Etymotic Research

Jan 16, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 17
bump

Jan 16, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 17
I'm glad you enjoy them!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm currently trying to contact Altec Lansing's lousy customer service. The left channel on my iM716's is not working properly. Well, at least I still have another year and a half before warrantee expires. I've just got to keep emailing them every week... But I plan on getting a pair of ER-4P as well. I'm glad you liked them! That just gives me even more reassurance on this [future] purchase.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 17
I ordered mine from Amazon not too long ago, too. How long did it take for them to get to you, and what shipping method did you use? Gaw... I just hope that the bad weather we're having here doesn't interfere with the transit time.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine from Amazon not too long ago, too. How long did it take for them to get to you, and what shipping method did you use? Gaw... I just hope that the bad weather we're having here doesn't interfere with the transit time.

I ordered mine with next day shipping on a saterday & they arrived the on tuesday evening. They are closed on the weekend & do not ship anything out at that time. They shipped out very early monday & they arrived on schedule.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 17
Just got the P to S converter & plan on using it with home setup. It does ok with zune but only on songs that are recorded near the upper limits in volume. Not very well on lower volume recordings at least on the zune. Works very well on my home setup though as it has serious volume capabilities that goes far beyond what I want hear even with the convertor.

Jan 28, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the P to S converter & plan on using it with home setup. It does ok with zune but only on songs that are recorded near the upper limits in volume. Not very well on lower volume recordings at least on the zune. Works very well on my home setup though as it has serious volume capabilities that goes far beyond what I want hear even with the convertor.

Where'd you get the P to S converter? I've been asking around forever, but I don't think I've received a reply, yet.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Where'd you get the P to S converter? I've been asking around forever, but I don't think I've received a reply, yet.

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4-acc.aspx

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 17
Congrats on your new phones! I've been a big Ety fan since 2002. Though I am using my UM2's more (Etys need a serious repair) the Etys still hold the title for most detailed phone I've heard to date (UE10's may be on the horizon!). The Etys have nice snappy bass, a bit lean overall to these ears but it is fast with great attack.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4-acc.aspx

Hmm... I was hoping that you got them from somewhere else... as 65 dollars for aronud 75 ohms of resistance don't make a lot of sense.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Hmm... I was hoping that you got them from somewhere else... as 65 dollars for aronud 75 ohms of resistance don't make a lot of sense.

You can always make your own. May not be as pretty but it will work.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Yeah. It's a very well-made cable, but not $65 worth of well-made.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. It's a very well-made cable, but not $65 worth of well-made.

Well, I guess it's DIY time.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 17
Congratulations on your new ER-4P.

Man, those P to S converters are expensive! Now I have more of a reason make a DIY adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back