New etymotic phones!!!!
Jul 26, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #61 of 101
I really hope the production run ends up with a right angle jack, (and short cord!) but probably not as they are trying to emulate the iPod look. The strain relief alone is a major improvement to the 6 series as is lower impedence and higher sensitivity. These are sure to be great cans. I have three pairs of Etys now, so one more pair won't hurt.
biggrin.gif
I actually use my 6's more than 4's anyway and my only DAP is the iPod, so I will be on the bandwagon first thing.

Aug 2, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #62 of 101
So they updated the information on the web page and now have a frequency response curve up for the ER 6i.
http://etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.asp
Now, I know nothing about how to read those. But just from looking at it I would draw the conclusion that the 6i are going to be much less accurate than the ER 6 or the ER 4S/P phones as they are more 'off target' in the graph. But I dont, because, well, I dont knothing about frequency response curves.
So maybe somebody who does could make some sense of these curves?
Do they suggest that Etymotics sacrificed accuracy for higher sensitivity?

Aug 2, 2004 at 1:47 PM Post #66 of 101
Guppi,

I guess you could say yes and yes.

The ER-6i is somewhat less accurate, with more bass response to make up for the iPod's low frequency roll-off. We could have increased the sensitivity and kept the same response, but were shooting for a response closer to one like the ER-4P, which seems to work better with players like the iPod.

Sometimes even the best plans suffer delays. We should have the ER-6o's soon and should be shipping by the middle of August.

Don Wildon
Etymotic Research

Aug 2, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #67 of 101
Thanks a bunch for the answer, Don.
Another quick question: Will the 6i still benefit from a headphone amp or would that result in an overpowering bass?
And would using the 4P->4S cable or using the SuperDual output impedance switch provide a more accurate sound (or have some other desirable effect)?

Aug 2, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #68 of 101
thank you for ur respones d wilson !

Hopefully these 6i will put out alot of bass to satisfy bassheads like me ! thats why i WAS goint o go with the shures but now im goin to wait and see what these earphones are like !

basshead.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #69 of 101
Don,
Thank you for addressing some of the new 6i questions. With the bump around the 7K range, and increased bass response, the ER6i graph looks disturbingly like how my Shure E3's sound to me. I'm hoping they retain the distinctive Etymotic signature. Even though the ER6 and the ER4P use different transducers (don't they?
wink.gif
) I can easily eq them with my laptop to sound virtually identical. I'm hoping the 6i's don't trade off the detailed Etymotics sonics for a consumer grade sound. Is the flange identical to the ER4 triple flange? It would have been nice to see a tip that is quicker, more comfortable, and easier to seal, as these are aimed squarely at portable use, and quick removal and replacement is a priority.
Thanks.
BTW, any chance of getting the 42" cord? You can always lengthen a cord, but it's pretty hard to shorten.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #70 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by rt297
Don,
Thank you for addressing some of the new 6i questions. With the bump around the 7K range, and increased bass response, the ER6i graph looks disturbingly like how my Shure E3's sound to me. I'm hoping they retain the distinctive Etymotic signature. Even though the ER6 and the ER4P use different transducers (don't they?
wink.gif
) I can easily eq them with my laptop to sound virtually identical. I'm hoping the 6i's don't trade off the detailed Etymotics sonics for a consumer grade sound. Is the flange identical to the ER4 triple flange? It would have been nice to see a tip that is quicker, more comfortable, and easier to seal, as these are aimed squarely at portable use, and quick removal and replacement is a priority.
Thanks.
BTW, any chance of getting the 42" cord? You can always lengthen a cord, but it's pretty hard to shorten.

well god damnit do all the etymotic earphones need to be the same ? can we get some variety hear ?? i know i would like that.

Aug 16, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #72 of 101
A few questions: Do they come with a similar array of tips like the ER-4? Does it sound largely like a warmer Etymotic (ie still detailed and accurate, if colored?) I was going to buy a pair of ER-4s but I'm really tempted by the bass issue and the fact that they are fantastic looking. Thanks!

-jesse

Aug 16, 2004 at 4:15 PM Post #73 of 101
No one knows the answers to these questions yet because Etymotic doesn't seem to want to release them. The date has already been pushed back once, any guesses as to if it's gonna be pushed back again?
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #74 of 101
I'm willing to force myself to be patient if it means a better product, but I've got to admit that I'm getting a little antsy. I want to read a review soon as I'm really looking into buying my first pair of canal phones now. I'd love to know how they compare to the e2c's and ety's own er4p.

Aug 16, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #75 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
No one knows the answers to these questions yet because Etymotic doesn't seem to want to release them. The date has already been pushed back once, any guesses as to if it's gonna be pushed back again?
frown.gif

I know
frown.gif
I was kinda hoping wilson might chime in or something
etysmile.gif

-jesse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back