New Etymotic headphone?
Oct 25, 2001 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

d_wilson

Member of the Trade: Etymotic Research EarBud-dy
Now that I have you attention, I need to ask an important question about earphone cables.

On our ER-4 headphones we have a 5 ft cable with equal length wires to both ears. This was changed from 4 ft after many requests.

What length and configuration do you want for a new ER-4 type earphone?

3.5 ft, 4 ft, 5 ft?

Equal length wires, or unequal lengh ones where the right earphone wire goes around the head, as some Sony and other earbuds do.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Oct 25, 2001 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 68
Quote:

Originally posted by d_wilson
New Etymotic headphone?.....What length and configuration do you want for a new ER-4 type earphone?

Don,

5 feet.

New Etymotic headphone, eh? Do tell!
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2001 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 68
I recently had a repair done to my ER-4S's and the original cable was replaced with a newer, longer cable. The old was too short, the new is slightly too long - for a portable setup. Howver it is about right for listening at home.

I say keep the current length!

New Ety's? Do tell?

-j

Oct 25, 2001 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 68
Hmm, if I were to buy one for portable use, I'd prefer 4ft with the uneven length, behind-the-head style wire.

Oct 25, 2001 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 68
Hi Don,
I think you should consider a much longer cable (say 9 or 10 ft) for "audiophiles" who do not use this with portable gear. I found when I auditioned your phone, it was necessary for me to us an extension cable which tends to be heavy and can pull out or tug on the phones when you stand up. A longer cable allows those of us with a home rig to sit further from the source. Just a thought.

markl

Oct 25, 2001 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 68
D) All the above.

Seriously, is some sort of modular configuration feasable? With different cable and/or pods being an option? Sort of a headphone equivelent of the Dan Wesson revolvers?

Oct 25, 2001 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 68
Modular would be nice, but if forced to choose, I'd rather have a 5', equal-length cord.

Oct 25, 2001 at 6:51 PM Post #11 of 68
I like the cable as-is, but could you use a wire with a softer covering and greater flexibility? See the Sony MDR-EX70 for an example. Of course you shouldn't sacrifice performance to achieve this.

Oct 25, 2001 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 68
Hmm....make a 5 feet version and prove an extention in the package puurr-fect
smily_headphones1.gif

New etys???
Do tell
wink.gif

(HINT:I was planning to buy a new pair of etys
smily_headphones1.gif
but now youre making me wait
biggrin.gif
)

Oct 25, 2001 at 8:20 PM Post #13 of 68
5 to 6ft even.

how long till we have some details on these new phones? i and 3 of my friends are about ready to order mdr-cd3000's but if ety has a new top dog coming out we would be happy to wait
biggrin.gif

Oct 25, 2001 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 68
Here's what I think...

6' is what I want. 5' seems a little too small for me.

By the way it is somewhat modular, the cable can be removed from the transducer and replaced. I think you guys should have some extension method like how the Sony EX70SL has, maybe 4' for portable with a 10' extension... Plus have some way to swap impedances like in the current ER-4's (or just keep it in the extension)... like a simple resistor module in the cable. Allow us to switch from low to high impedance easily...

Remember, the only difference between the 4P and 4S is the cable, and the entire cable can be replaced...

Also do not make the cord too flexible like the EX70, that thing tangles up like there was no tomorrow. Actually I like the current cable in terms of flexibility.

Oh, and Y-cords forever! Those stupid Sony behind the neck ones always makes the right bud pop out and you also do not look too great with them...

Oct 25, 2001 at 10:09 PM Post #15 of 68
i think don's said before that while the cable is removable, it was not meant to be removed by the user. some people damaged their etys trying to swap cables, which is why i believe etymotic doesn't sell cables seperately anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back