New Ety 4Ps just arrived
Oct 28, 2003 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zgw8

New Head-Fier
I just received my new etys and although I am new to the headphone thing, they sounded pretty good. I have been listening to a very nice home system 5.1 surround, etc. The seal seemed to be good (my office manager came into my office and scared the #@!* out of me as I couldn't hear a thing). I didn't notice much base though. Granted, I had a cd in my computer and had the earphones plugged into the headphone jack on one of the computer speakers. When I got home, I plugged the etys into my Harmon Kardon AR 500 to some music that I knew had good bass (The new Jack Johnson cd) and there wasn't much. Does break in do that much or am I just used to having a monster home sub playing all the time (Polk Audio 650 sub)? I don't have my iPod yet - it should arrive in a few days. I can't say that I am totally psyched but I am willing to give them a chance. Any thoughts?

Oct 28, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 9
The bass through Etymotic cans is about as far removed from subwoofer bass as you can be.

Trust me, they actually DO pack a lot of bass, it's just that it's 100% heard, and 0% felt, thus it creates this subconscious illusion tha they are lacking it.

Some sources may also have rolled off bass, but for the most part it's a psychological thing.

The bass is there, it's just so tight and tuneful it's almost transparent.

Oct 28, 2003 at 3:17 AM Post #4 of 9
OK, I am pretty sure that I "hear" the bass of my Polk system and that it is not necessarily felt. I think I understand what you are saying (ChillySalsa) but I either have to take your word for it or think it through. I can sit there and listen to the etys but it is "different". I have heard the Bose headphones and I believe that I "hear" more bass than the etys. However, they are not appropriate for what I want to use them for (backcountry skiing, etc). The etys will work just fine but I guess I am going to have to get used to them. No one mentioned "break-in". Does it really make a difference?

Oct 28, 2003 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 9
The break-in period is more with your ears than with the etys. I think that in the 'great Etymotic bass debate' everyone is right. The bass is there, and it is deep, clean and musical. If you concentrate on it exclusively, you will hear great stuff. I like the etys pretty well now after initially being disappointed.

However, I also believe the bass is recessed in relation to the rest of the music. Many people say the etys are 'neutral' in the bass department, and we're just used to listening to enhanced bass. For myself, this is true to a degree, but it's not the whole story. I am listening to the E5c, and it has deep, clean and musical bass that is more balanaced for my taste. Perhaps it is not 'neutral?'

Oct 28, 2003 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm not an expert on this issue, but, I thought the lack of bass on etys is due to poor amplification! I believe there is a bass roll-off on most headphone amplifiers (cd players, ipod, etc) with the etys, and that a dedicated headphone amplifier will make a flat bass response.
confused.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 9
It's not so much "break-in" that will improve bass, but you're brain becoming accustomed to the ety sound. In my experience, as you log hours with them, you will begin to percieve increasing levels of bass up to the point where the sound fills out quite nicely. I wouldn't give up on these phones yet, as the bass is there and it's quite pleasant. I would definitely still classify etys as somewhat bass shy compared to an HD600 or Sony V6, however the bass that is there is far more detailed (at the cost of being, dare I say, less realistic).

And foamies improve percieved bass in my experience also.

etysmile.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 9
It depends on how much bass you want. The Etys are definitely lacking in this regard, but do take Halide's advice. Amps do improve the response of the Etys... and so does (sacriligious talk on Head-Fi no doubt) EQ.

It really also depends on what you bought the Etys for. These are definitely not the best headphones (for largely fixed use) you can buy, not even for similar money. They are also (at the moment for me) the second best earphones you can buy. Nothing ultimate about these at all... If you bought it thinking this, try again. If it is for travelling use, you probably made the right choice if your budget was Ety sized. Better value than the Shure E5 for definite audiophile credentials. For office or transportable use? Probably not the right choice unless you needed the huge isolation they offer.

Oct 28, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 9
I actually bought these primarily for outdoor use (backcountry skiing/touring, etc). They should work fine. I had a long talk with Steve - engineer at Ety and I will just have to try them when my iPod arrives and spend some time with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back