New Esoteric players (K-01, K-03): anyone has seen or heard?
Aug 16, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #61 of 163

Quote:
The SR-009 is head and shoulders above both the SR-007s and 007As in just about every imaginable way, it's not even funny.  But it is still a headphone with all the advantages and disadvantages when compared to (insert your favorite reference speaker system here) speakers, regardless of how high quality sourcing and amping is involved.

Hi warp08,
As l said, even though the speaker system l heard at Jacks sounded incredible, l would still sooner use headphones because l feel more involved with the music.
                                                          Dave

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #62 of 163

Quote:
Hi warp08,
As l said, even though the speaker system l heard at Jacks sounded incredible, l would still sooner use headphones because l feel more involved with the music.
                                                          Dave

You are right. In my case the issue simply is that I have no physical room to accommodate any kind of speaker setup that would yield anything remotely decent acoustics.  So, head-fi it is.

Aug 16, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #63 of 163
Even though my room is big enough to use speakers, l'd still sooner listen to music through headphones, l said if l had the money l'd buy the speaker system Jack has, [ which is one of many ] however Jack told me that to listen to those speakers [ Tannoy Westminster Royal se ] the room would have to be quite large, Jacks room where that speaker system is, is about 25' by 25' and about 12' high, he said those speakers would not sound that good in a small room, so if i wanted them l'd have to find a bigger room, but as l say headphones are for me.
                                                                   Dave.

Aug 18, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #64 of 163
I have to say that, no headphone, including my SR009, is able to fully utilize the true power of a high end source like the K-01. The improvement in source is more subtlely expressed via headphnoes than via speakers. Even with my Monitor Audio RX8 speakers driven by the Leben amp, the improvement which the  K-01 brought about (previously D-07) was nothing short of jaw dropping. Whereas with the LCD2, also driven by the Leben, the difference is still noticeable but not as significant as in a speaker system. Now that I have the SR009, I still enjoy listening to my speakers more than the Stax, despite that my front speakers are only around 1/3 of the price of the 009. Maybe it is because I don't have a BHSE and only use a SRM727ii to drive the 009.

Aug 18, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #65 of 163

Quote:
I have to say that, no headphone, including my SR009, is able to fully utilize the true power of a high end source like the K-01. The improvement in source is more subtlely expressed via headphnoes than via speakers. Even with my Monitor Audio RX8 speakers driven by the Leben amp, the improvement which the  K-01 brought about (previously D-07) was nothing short of jaw dropping. Whereas with the LCD2, also driven by the Leben, the difference is still noticeable but not as significant as in a speaker system. Now that I have the SR009, I still enjoy listening to my speakers more than the Stax, despite that my front speakers are only around 1/3 of the price of the 009. Maybe it is because I don't have a BHSE and only use a SRM727ii to drive the 009.

Hi googleli,
l'd love to get a top quality speaker system, but next year l'm getting the Stax SR-009's, K-01, and BHSE which should keep me happy for a long time.

David.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #66 of 163
Earlier today l received the Esoteric K-01 which was a very exciting feeling for me. After opening the box my thoughts were not only is it a beautiful looking piece of audio equipment but it's build quality looks and feels IMO second to none. Regarding it's sound quality, because l won't have the money to get the BHSE + SR-009's until next March, l'm only able to use my shure se535's + pico slim and yamaha soundbar. A couple of hours today l've been listening to it with my shure's + pico slim via an ALO mini to RCA analog cable and l was truly amazed with what l heard. Roll on March.
                                                    Dave.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #67 of 163
Since my previous post l've been listening to the K-01 connected to my Yamaha YSP-5100. The album l listened to was Mike Oldfield's " The Songs of Distant Earth " and l didn't think it was possible for the Yamaha to sound so good, l've also been using the shure's + pico slim again and all l can say is IMO the K-01 has to be heard to be believed.

David.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #68 of 163
Congrats Dave! It probably does sound a bit better than usual portable player you use with the slim :wink:. At the present time, you can definitely be qualified as a source first type of person lol :wink:.
enjoy your new toy,
arnaud

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #69 of 163

Quote:
Congrats Dave! It probably does sound a bit better than usual portable player you use with the slim :wink:. At the present time, you can definitely be qualified as a source first type of person lol :wink:.
enjoy your new toy,
arnaud

Thanks arnaud,
As l say until l can get hold of the BHSE + SR-009's, l'm only able to use it with ones l mentioned. l told Jack Lawson [ the audio dealer where l got the K-01 from ] what l was using and he said l would only be receiving about 40% of the K-01's potential. Because of the improvement l'm hearing l find it hard to believe l'm only getting 40%. Before l heard the K-01 at Jacks place l'd already placed an order for the BHSE but after hearing the K-01 l just had to have it before anything. 

Dave.

P.S. In order to help get the K-01 l did part exchanged my Esoteric x-03se + SR-007 mk1's + SRM-007t and l don't regret it one bit.

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #70 of 163
Great stuff dude, but I think the K-01 really only performs say 40% if not less with IEMs...

With the SR009 it maybe at 60-70-%ish level. But IMO, only speakers setups can fully demonstrate the astoundingly precise center imaging, the Y and Z -axis soundstaging and the last bit of minute details, without emphasis on any frequency or feeling analytical as some previous Esoteric players/ DACs.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #72 of 163
Many Thanks Guys,
In order to get the K-01 l've had to sacrifice other thing's, the new home l've just moved into needs a new bathroom and kitchen and as can be seen on the pictures, the place where the fire once was needs doing. Most people would have them done before anything, but as l said after hearing the K-01 at Jacks place l just had to have it before anything. ln one of my earlier posts l mentioned l was eventually going to be getting some quality speakers, but after hearing the yamaha soundbar with the K-01 l'm unsure what to do.

Dave.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #73 of 163
I've been listening to the K-01 again with my Shure's + Pico Slim, and one thing that will be interesting to find out is whether the combination of the K-01 + BHSE + SR-009's will be fatiguing at higher volume levels in anyway. With the combination of the K-01 + Pico Slim + Shure se535 's I've been listening to some of my favourite songs well above the volume I'd listened to them before I got the K-01, and it wasn't fatiguing in anyway, in fact it was rather enjoyable because l was hearing things I'd never heard before. However listening with the volume up is something I'll not be doing all the time because it can only damage my hearing.
                                                                              Dave.

Nov 2, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #74 of 163
I was thinking of getting later next year some Tannoy Kensington se speakers and also an Esoteric A-03 amp, but I've been listening to my Yamaha YSP-5100 soundbar with the K-01 and I'm very happy with what I'm hearing, ofcourse the Yamaha can't compete with the Tannoy's and the A-03, however I'm still happy with it but I feel that's only because of the K-01 plus I'm more happy listening to music via headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back