New ESL's from QUAD...
Feb 24, 2006 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TheSloth

Headphoneus Supremus
I was rather excited to find a note about these new ESL-2805 and 2905 speakers launched seemingly in the last few days. Their website says nothing about it, and there are just a few notes from CES about them around the web.

It seems they are a structural/cosmetic design/parts upgrade from the 988 and 989 models. Not sure about the new look - would like to see them in person.

As a long time fan, just thought it was worth posting!

edit: the first seller listing seems to be here: http://ads.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ull&1146000379

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
How I wish I could hear these speakers (or even the older ESLs) in person. I own their dynamic speakers (12L) and love their balanced sound. Admittedly my love for the Quad sound is a large reason for my love of the Sennheiser sound (which is similarly balanced).

I never saw that post, but how interesting it is as I've always noted to myself that in my system my speakers and headphones sound amazingly similar to one another. My speakers are similar to yours, though they are the 12L actives which are quite a big step up IMO, and it's more of a testament to the speaker than the headphone that it can stand up to that kind of resolution. I used to have a pair of 988's when I lived in the UK and had space/money, and have been struggling to find anything that can make me feel quite the same way when I listen.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I never saw that post, but how interesting it is as I've always noted to myself that in my system my speakers and headphones sound amazingly similar to one another. My speakers are similar to yours, though they are the 12L actives which are quite a big step up IMO, and it's more of a testament to the speaker than the headphone that it can stand up to that kind of resolution. I used to have a pair of 988's when I lived in the UK and had space/money, and have been struggling to find anything that can make me feel quite the same way when I listen.

Back near the end of 2004, I was actualy planning to upgrade the speakers. I went around auditioning Epos line of speakers (from the M5 up to the M22), but realised that despite all the glowing reviews, they would only be a sidegrade to the Quads. They just sound different, not necessarily better, so I ended up keeping the Quads.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
I have a set of the old ESL57 (The Original!), with Gradient custom sub-bases. And a Quad setup with Quad 6x CD, tuner and preamp, and two Quad 606 stereo power-amplifiers, one for each side (not recommended by Quad in England, when I called them, they did recommend the smaller version 303).
And yes, they do sound as clear and unobstructed as described in a test in "Gramophone" magasine a few years ago.
And the sound completely fills out the whole spectre, especially at low volume where no other speakers manage to deliver such a full and completely detailed sound!
But they are a nightmare to install, and the room and all reflections can play havoc with their sound!
Also they are very narrow in listening area, only 4 degrees to each side of centre, so you must line up your listening position very carefully, and only one person can hear both speakers!
I believe the newer models have a more curved front and panels, to widen the sound-front, but still electrostats are not for filling a room with sound.
But the sound is really beautiful.

Compared to the 57's, new point source models are a breeze to install. In fact, they are somewhat easier with respect to ceiling reflections due to the phase cancellation, but do need to be placed some distance from a rear wall. I say only some, as my 988's were absolutely fantastic only about 3 ft from the rear wall. Also, they don't quite have the 1 point soundstage that the 57's had, in that you don't have to have your head in a vice at the predefined exact centre of the setup triangle to experience their soundstage!

Regarding curvature, it's actually the other way round. The 57 had to be curved due to it's the panels operating as linear units, i.e. without a point source to propogate from. The newer models have flat panels, though the front and rear surfaces are very slightly curved, mainly for aesthetic reasons.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat
Well, believe me or not, the 57's are completely flat!
All the panels are inline with each other, and no curving! Exept a small vertical curving of the panels.
I have had the speakers apart, 3 out of a total of 6 panels have been replaced, the power-supplies have been partially upgraded.
And the panels inside are positioned side-by-side, in line with each other!
I would have loved to do a thorough upgrade, replacing the old electrolythic and bees-wax frequency-filters and the whole power-supplies, maybe a woodwork upgrade of the chassis too!
But for the moment, no, as I have enough projects uncompleted as it is by now.

Right, the vertical curvature is what I was referring to. The panels are curved on that axis, are they not? This aids waveform propogation. Such curvature is unnecessary for the F.R.E.D models, and thus the panels are flat on all axes.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 10
The new QUAD designs do not need any curvature, and are completely flat. The point source radiation allows the panel to simulate a waveform generated from a point source 1 foot behind the speaker. It's a unique technology, and puts the QUAD ESL's in a league of their own in the electrostatic speaker world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back