New Entry System for $700
Dec 26, 2009 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

larry

New Head-Fier
I currently have a dac connected to my desktop pc. I need a passive speaker. Prefer bookshelf speaker sitting on a speaker stand and an amp to drive it. My dac is able to work as a preamp so power amp is acceptable too. This price include a decent rca cable and speaker cord.
beerchug.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #2 of 7
For a decent RCA to RCA IC I would visit Blue Jean Cable and for about $35 you will be able to buy a pair of IC. The same for speaker cable, you can buy a set of 8 feet long terminated in bananas for about $65. Thus for under $100 plus S&H you can get the IC and the speaker cable, see: Blue Jeans Cable -- Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

For an amp I would buy a vintage ('70s) receiver from eBay. You should be able to score a good receiver from Technics, Marantz, Pioneer, etc for under $125 including S&H. So this will leave you with about $450 to buy a good set of bookshelf speakers, I would go the used route. Audiogon would be a good starting point. For example:

AudiogoN ForSale: Bowers & Wilkins DM 1400
AudiogoN ForSale: NHT Classic Three C
AudiogoN ForSale: Audio Concepts Inc Sapphire IIti's

Dec 26, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 7
You could always just use books or something as a speaker stand, with $450 you aren't going to be getting massive speakers so I'd just put them on your desk.

At $450 (after what Miguel recommended), I'd recommend Mackie MR5s. They're like $200-$250 each. If that's a little over budget, KRK Rokit 5s.

Dec 27, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always just use books or something as a speaker stand, with $450 you aren't going to be getting massive speakers so I'd just put them on your desk.

At $450 (after what Miguel recommended), I'd recommend Mackie MR5s. They're like $200-$250 each. If that's a little over budget, KRK Rokit 5s.

Any reason why you recommend monitor speakers instead of "Hi Fi" speakers for music listening? I have being think about this for quite sometime. Having a active monitor speakers can save me cost on the amp but will I really enjoy my music from it? I have read a few article regarding monitor speakers and hifi speakers. Majority of them vote for hi fi speakers for music listening.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #7 of 7
Larry, depending on the wattage of the amp you get you could consider a pair of Magnepan speakers. However you will most likely need at least 120 wpc to truly drive them to their potential, the Magnepan are power hungry. So if you can secure an older receiver from the '70s a pair of Maggies will be a wonderful speaker to own. Right now there are a few good offerings in Audiogon, so check them out.

AudiogoN ForSale: Magneplanar Magnepan MG-IIc speakers

AudiogoN ForSale: Magnepan Magneplaner MMG's

AudiogoN ForSale: Magnepan SMGc

AudiogoN ForSale: Magnepan MMG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back