New entries to your top 10
Feb 13, 2008 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

itay

100+ Head-Fier
I'm talking about artists you discovered or finally "got" lately ( in the last half year,year ) that have a serious chance of getting into your "Top 10" albums , or artists .

there 3 artists that may have a place to my list
smily_headphones1.gif

the first one ,without a doubt is "Grace" by jeff buckley which is briliant (and so unfrtunate it is his only one ) , emotional and intimate album.

"The Bends" , it's a shame I've only heard it this year , didn't really took a lot of time for me to "get" it , simply one of the best rock albums out there .

Neil young , about 2-3 years I listened to "After the gold rush" which I thought had some decent tunes ("Southern Man") but I couldn't listen to that man's voice (I compared it to an old lady singing ) .
in the last year I "digged" the entire album ,couldn't get enough of him , loved Harvest and "Live Rust" , there isn't a day going by without listening to that addicting voice of his.
A true love story
smily_headphones1.gif
, but I can't decice on an album ...

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #2 of 20
Artists which I have discovered and/or acquired CD's from lately:
* Diana Krall
* Kari Bremnes
* Christel Alsos

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 20
Phish & Umphrey's McGee: both this year, both potentially enormous favourites.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 20
Still not sure how it got by me, but Arcade Fire's Funeral. I like it 100x more than their most recent thing; almost doesn't sound like the same band.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 20
One artist which I only recently started buying has been spending a lot of time in my cd player: Björk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by itay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"The Bends" , it's a shame I've only heard it this year , didn't really took a lot of time for me to "get" it , simply on the best rock albums out there.

I, uhm, actually still need to get this one. I have plenty other Radiohead stuff and love it, but for some odd reason that cd is missing.

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 20
To me that would be Guided By Voices.

I had the album Bee Thousand since it came out and saw them live once but never checked out anything else by them until a few months ago.

I was blown away by each album I picked up and ended up with most of their catalogue. Robert Pollard really is a pop genius. And I can't seem to decide which of their albums I like best - it seems to change every other day.

But if I had to choose the best 3:

- Earthquake Glue
- Universal Truths And Cycles
- Under The Bushes Under The Stars

Right now I'm leaning towards Earthquake Glue as my favorite and one that will grace my all time top 20 at some point. On this album the basic GBV sound was perfected and expanded. The song writing, vocals, lyrics and playing overall is excellent and the sound quality is generally pretty good (If you know GBV you know they're not known for high fidelity, heh).

But I wrote a post sometime last month proclaiming their last album, Half Smiles Of The Decomposed my favorite and it's not even on the list above - go figure!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, uhm, actually still need to get this one. I have plenty other Radiohead stuff and love it, but for some odd reason that cd is missing.

Heh, I had all the R/h albums except Pablo Honey for a loooong time before I got The Bends. It is really great though.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still not sure how it got by me, but Arcade Fire's Funeral. I like it 100x more than their most recent thing; almost doesn't sound like the same band.

I'm a bit surprised of seeing this honesty. I dig the latest a lot more than Funeral. People say I'm crazy though, so that must be that.

:p

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 20
x2 on Buckley.
Also, Sigur Ros, ISIS and The Mars Volta have all moved into the top 10 as well.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #10 of 20
Xavier Rudd

I've known of/ about him for a while. Even had a couple of his albums. After his latest show I've been listening to his stuff all the time- definately in my top 10 for the last few months.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by inasafeplace /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dig the latest a lot more than Funeral. People say I'm crazy though, so that must be that.

Well, where music is concerned, I'm sooooo over sanity.
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 on Buckley.
Also, Sigur Ros, ISIS and The Mars Volta have all moved into the top 10 as well.

That's a new solid 3. For me, I've been enjoying things a little less heavy in the past couple months. Neko Case, The Decemberists.

I need more metal.

Feb 14, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #13 of 20
I listened to Guster for the first time recently and have fallen in love with them--I just can't get enough. Their use of atypical instruments is fantastic (when's the last time you heard a violin, banjo, or dulcimer in an alternative rock song?).

Feb 15, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to Guster for the first time recently and have fallen in love with them--I just can't get enough. Their use of atypical instruments is fantastic (when's the last time you heard a violin, banjo, or dulcimer in an alternative rock song?).

Thank you, now I have just listened to them, excellent. Mine is M.I.A. the first time I listened to Kala I did not like it very much, but I just keep listening, very addictive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back