New Emotiva DAC shows great promise
Dec 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #47 of 63

Quote:
I received mine last week and am using it in my speaker system connected via coax to a Logitech Touch. As of now I can't really tell the difference between the XDA-1 and the Logitech Touch analog outputs. In a couple of weeks I should receive the Audio-gd Ref 7 DAC and will do some comparisons between the 2.

as expected, thanks for the candid feedback.  The Touch is quite good via analog out and replaced my sub $300 dac as well

Mar 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #48 of 63
I realize this thread is over a year old, but I figured I'd reply just to give the XDA-1 some love. I've had mine since last April in my home stereo rack, and I absolutely love it. Regarding sound signature, its dead neutral, exactly what a DAC should be IMO, and is compared positively against a DAC that retails for 20 times the price (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-audio/49890-weiss-dac2-vs-emotiva-xda-1-a.html). As far as inputs, its got 2 optical, 2 digital coax, USAB, and AES (no firewire). Build quality is solid, feels like pro gear, and to that end its got fully balanced circuitry (XLR outs) as well as RCA. I probably sound like a fanboy, but of all the gear that I own, this is probably my favorite. The only negative I've found is that for some reason the USB input only supports 24 bit / 48 khz (TOSLINK supports up to 192 khz).

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #49 of 63

Quote:
I realize this thread is over a year old, but I figured I'd reply just to give the XDA-1 some love. I've had mine since last April in my home stereo rack, and I absolutely love it. Regarding sound signature, its dead neutral, exactly what a DAC should be IMO, and is compared positively against a DAC that retails for 20 times the price (http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/two-channel-audio/49890-weiss-dac2-vs-emotiva-xda-1-a.html). As far as inputs, its got 2 optical, 2 digital coax, USAB, and AES (no firewire). Build quality is solid, feels like pro gear, and to that end its got fully balanced circuitry (XLR outs) as well as RCA. I probably sound like a fanboy, but of all the gear that I own, this is probably my favorite. The only negative I've found is that for some reason the USB input only supports 24 bit / 48 khz (TOSLINK supports up to 192 khz).

I understand Emo stuff has XLR connections but have you confirmed  that they (XLR) are not simply an inverted from single ended connection ?  I do not believe Emo stuff are fully balanced topology circuitry. 

May 12, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #50 of 63
The XDA-1 isn't fully balanced, no. Its not mentioned, unlike with some other gear they offer. As far as bit depth and frequency limitations over USB, that's just because it's USB 1.1. But hey, for only $199 and free shipping, no complaints here :)

No comments have been left, but I will say in the few weeks I've spent time listening to, it was well worth getting. An external DAC 'can' make all the difference.

May 15, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #51 of 63
Just ordered mine as well.  Will be comparing to Asus Xonar ST, and HRT music streamer II when it comes in.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:35 AM Post #52 of 63
Quote:
The XDA-1 isn't fully balanced, no. Its not mentioned, unlike with some other gear they offer. As far as bit depth and frequency limitations over USB, that's just because it's USB 1.1. But hey, for only $199 and free shipping, no complaints here
smily_headphones1.gif

No comments have been left, but I will say in the few weeks I've spent time listening to, it was well worth getting. An external DAC 'can' make all the difference.

Choirbass, Acdoan, my apologies for the delayed response. Here's what I read on the Emo website:

"The XDA-1 uses the acclaimed Analog Devices AD1955 D/A converter, operating in full differential mode, with a fully discrete, cross-coupled Differential Reference™ balanced line stage amplifier."

I won't pretend to be an electrical engineer. My understanding of the science behind circuit design (from electronics lab in college) is limited to having learned that balanced electrical topology refers to a circuit that transmits both positive and negative signals having symmetrical waveforms. I also recall learning that "differential" means essentially the same thing, and so I interpreted the above statement from Emotiva as indicating that the XDA-1 has fully balanced topology. If I'm mistaken, and that seems likely, I'd love it if you could steer me to some literature or material that can explain the difference between balanced, fully balanced, and differential circuit topologies. Many thanks in advance -- always looking to learn.

Incidentally, I didn't notice the "TM" in the above statement until now, when I went back and reread it. Does this mean that "Differential Reference" is a brand name, and doesn't actually describe the circuit topology of the line stage amp?

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #53 of 63
The Matrix Mini-i has two AD1955 chips in it for fully balanced operation. Just mentioning it because they use the same d/a chip but obviously implement it differently.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #55 of 63
Guys ,i need some advise of yours ,cause i cannot audition any of the products i will mention following.just copied the same question from a similar thread

To make it as simple as possible:I was considering to buy a worth Amp/Dac for my Beyer 990 250 and Hf5.
Considering about a few options,like a O2/Odac combo (+/- 200$), an Audinst HDU-mx1 (+/- 200$) and a Matrix Mini-I or Quattro ( 300$ and 400$).
Considering they all are about a little different products ,but give a general kind of use and performance , does someone of you think this promo of Emotiva`s XDA-1 at 200 dollars it a bang for the buck ,killer deal ,Sale off of the year?
I know they are not really full into Headphone marketing ,but i know they are a reputable audio brand (and i am thinking in buying a pair of speakers).
Thanks folks!

Edit: A fellow noticed me is just a Dac,sorry folks,never mind!

Jul 23, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #56 of 63
Quote:
Now there are two new DAC's due to come out soon. A pro version and the replacement for the XDA-1, dubed the XDA-2. 

Any word on differences or improvements?

If I could make two changes to the XDA-1, they'd be (1) adding some RCA inputs that bypass the DAC stage, and (2) changing the panel on the front to display the sample rate / bit depth of the signal currently being converted to analog instead of always volume.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #57 of 63
I heard about two things that will be in the new model. Headphone jack and a lossless volume control. Displaying thethe sample rate / bit depth would be a good change.

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #58 of 63
If Emo is adding a headphone jack, I assume that means they're planning to add a headphone amp stage as well. Curious to see what that does to the price ...

Aug 10, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #59 of 63
My guess from a few users stated that they believe the price will be in the $400 range. I decided not get this unit since the unit is quite big front to back. I may have not enough space to put in the cables and they left quite a bit of empty space in the case. I have no need for a heaphone jack on the new model.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #60 of 63
Well, the XDA-2 is out.  According to the Audiohaulics preview (http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/processors/emotiva-xda-2-pre) it now supports asynchronous USB at 192/24 and has a headphone amp stage with 105 dB SNR. However the preamp is still digital, not analog. Current price is $350. Very interested to read some user or pro reviews!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back