"New" Elliott Smith album - New Moon
Apr 27, 2007 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sonick

500+ Head-Fier
51AaUW4WZaL._AA240_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=465672

Heads up, there's a new "official" double-CD coming out of Elliott Smith un-released songs. Also available on 2xLP.

Very excited for this release.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 20
being probably the biggest elliott smith fan on this forum. I have to say, all the tracks are amazing amazing amazing. It already leaked but I'm waiting for my vinyl!!!

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 20
My wife might have you beat, but she has only posted twice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I might have to get this for her on Vinyl as a gift.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My wife might have you beat, but she has only posted twice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I might have to get this for her on Vinyl as a gift.

probably not unless shes like an uber poster at sweetaddy. If so, PM me! I never see head-fiers over there
frown.gif
and I'm jinp6301 over there too!

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want this. Badly.

its good, damn good

a must have for all elliott smith fans and all non elliott smith fans

and yes if you havent noticed, I'm a huge fan boy of ES

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 20
ES is one of my favourite artists of the past while also. I'll be picking this up as soon as it's released (or d/l'ing it and waiting on vinyl, but you get the drift). But I must ask: How do you think this compares to From a Basement on a Hill? I found that one not quite up to the standard of his last few albums, even though it had some very good songs on it. But this one I keep reading raves on. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for what is basically a rarities record.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by s m @ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES is one of my favourite artists of the past while also. I'll be picking this up as soon as it's released (or d/l'ing it and waiting on vinyl, but you get the drift). But I must ask: How do you think this compares to From a Basement on a Hill? I found that one not quite up to the standard of his last few albums, even though it had some very good songs on it. But this one I keep reading raves on. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for what is basically a rarities record.

well as you (maybe) know, all of new moon if from the KRS times (Either/Or era) so most of the album is like either/or, mostly acoustic, kinda quiet. Basement was, to me, the White Album of the Beatles. Elliott does a lot of things that he didnt do in his earlier albums like the noise track (Ostriches and Chirping) and a lot of different recording methods. The Basement era was when Elliott was really evolving. New Moon is just good old Elliott from the Either/Or era.

that said, I love Basement a little more then New Moon, just because its newer tracks and I personally just like it more
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 20
Cool, thanks. As I said, I'll be getting it at the first opportunity, just wanted to hear an opinion or two. And I actually didn't know it was all from the KRS era, I thought it was from all over his career. For the record, Either/Or is my favourite record by him. Followed closely by the first two major label ones, so I'm not real picky about eras/sounds.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #11 of 20
Compared to FABOTH, New Moon is more minimalistic and acoustic as I believe most of these recordings were from his 'Either/Or' era, where most of his songs only featured the basics, unlike FABOTH which featured large orchestral arrangements and percussion etc.

May 8, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much more unreleased material is there meant to be out there?

According to various fansites, Smith had a great deal of of recorded but unreleased materials.

May 8, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to various fansites, Smith had a great deal of of recorded but unreleased materials.

hey sonic, are you part of sweetaddy?

theres will be a Newly-unearthed Elliott Smith studio track to appear on LFNNY (Live From Nowhere Near You) compilation CD coming out around November of this year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back