New Electrostat Headphone amp.
Jul 1, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 16
It's probably the upgrade to the EA-1 that I read about sometime around the National Meet. It's reportedly sporting improved cosmetics and improved sonics. I read another post a while back that compared the EA-1 and Hev90 and the '90 was better but it sounded like the McAlister was at least in the same ballpark. I thing the new model was supposed to be a couple of hundred more.

Jul 1, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 16
I'm looking forward to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm almost certain that the upgrade is NOT merely a cosmetically enhanced EA-1. I'm almost certain that it's a new design. BTW, I have an EA-1, and I compared it closely to the HEV90. It's performance is in the same ball park as that of HEV90, but not quite as good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut
It's probably the upgrade to the EA-1 that I read about sometime around the National Meet. It's reportedly sporting improved cosmetics and improved sonics. I read another post a while back that compared the EA-1 and Hev90 and the '90 was better but it sounded like the McAlister was at least in the same ballpark. I thing the new model was supposed to be a couple of hundred more.

Aug 4, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #9 of 16
Ok, there is the EA-1 and the EA-4 on Peter's website, but I don't think that either are his newest design which I alluded to in the thread mikeg quoted. [Direct link to the post] The EA-1 is a great value and as far as I know the EA-4 just adds proper biasing for both Stax and Sennheiser electrostats. The new design is completely different from what I understand and should compete favourably [or outright beat] anything else on the market. I urge anyone interested in Peter's designs to contact him directly as it is a pleasure talking to such a knowlegable and enthusiastic designer.
wink.gif

I love the new look of his amps. The phono stage and monoblocks look incredible.
cool.gif

Hopefully he will be bringing the new Electrostatic amp along with his Omega 2's when he visits me on Saturday, though personally I am more interested in hearing one of his dynamic amps as my 'balanced monstrosity' that I am having him build is based on them.

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 16
If it "outright beats anything else" and is still priced cheap and that i'm so close to the new release, i feel stupid for not having waited for this new design.

Aug 4, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #12 of 16
i can't believe it's priced under a thousand bucks. seriously, that's awesome. the ea-1 was very impressive at the national meet too, and i'm sure would have sounded even better without all that ambient noise at the meet!

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i can't believe it's priced under a thousand bucks. seriously, that's awesome. the ea-1 was very impressive at the national meet too, and i'm sure would have sounded even better without all that ambient noise at the meet!

The EA-4 is priced under a thousand, but I am not sure that is the 'new amp' that I've been talking with him about on our recent phone calls. I will be sure to ask for clarification when I see him tomorrow.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #14 of 16
The EA-4 was confirmed in an e-mail by McAlister to be essentially just an EA-1 with transformers for Koss and Sennheiser thrown in. It is not the new design everyone has been talking about. I believe the 4 monikker just comes from '4 biases' or something like that.

Aug 4, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 16
During several opportunities to compare my somewhat modded EA-1, to HEV90 amps, for driving HE90s, others and I felt that the McAlister's performance was about 85% as good as that of the HEV90. Thus, the EA-1 sounds wonderful (I use mine daily), but not quite as good as an HEV90. I've mentioned this to Peter McAlister during several discussions, and I really look forward to his next creation. When Peter produces his new electrostat amp., which I'm sure will be further enhanced, I hope to have the chance to compare it closely with my EA-1, for driving my HE90. I'll assume that it matches or exceeds the performance of an HEV90, if Peter's new amp. sounds substantially better than my EA-1. It would really be great if we could organized a meet that focuses solely on electrostat headphone equipment, at which we could compare all the popular amps (e.g., HEV90, ES-1, Aristaeus, etc.). Perhaps a special section could be set aside at the next National Meet, for doing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back