new elastics for akg k240
Oct 14, 2010 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bik2101

1000+ Head-Fier
anyone know where i can get a new elastics band for the akg k240? and how to replace them?

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 6
akg replacements are avaliable but spendy, like 5 bucks each.
lots of people here including myself use hair bands which are about 2 bucks for 50.
to replace, lift the badge from the side of the cup using a knife, then everything comes apart with a screw

Oct 17, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes, the snagless hair elastics work pretty much just as well as the real thing. You want the thin ones. I have a whole card of black ones from Target.

Oct 17, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #4 of 6
hmm... anyone someone can post a picture of what this looks like?

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 6
Don't be afraid. Look closely at the badge on the back of the headphone - you'll see that there's a little notch in the edge of badge. Stick a pin or the tip of a knife under it - usually they pop right off on older headphones that need new elastics.

Use same tip to clean the glue out of a philips head screw found under that, and take out the screw, revealing the lower end of the loop.

For the upper end, there's a screw on the inside of the headband where the upper half of the loop terminates.

The original elastic is fixed in a round plastic dingus, but said dingus is unnecessary and the hair elastic performs just as well.

Reassembly should be obvious once you see how it's threaded together.

Edit: Oh, and DO NOT use a strong glue to reapply the badge. Scrape off whatever excess glue is on the surfaces and use a PVA glue to reattach. That means Elmer's or a common wood glue. If you use superglue or contact cement you may never be able to get it off again without damaging it.

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 6
If you don't feel confident about prying things apart, you can just move the R and L buttons down so that they stop the headband from riding up too far.

The buttons are little clamps held in place with Phillips screws - the screwheads are exposed on the buttons' undersides. Loosen the screw and slide the buttons down so that they rest on top of the headband when the phones are positioned comfortably on your head, then tighten them down again.

That's how the previous owner of my sextett had it set up. It works fine. I finally got elastics today to replace the old ones because I want a little more flexibility with fit, but doing that has been a lower priority than nearly everything else headphone-related I've got going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back