New E5c...Yes!!!!!!!!!!
Oct 12, 2004 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Lion Zion

Head-Fier
Just a post to thank everyone who offered their invaluable advise and input relative to helping me with the issues I had around fitting and filters for the Shure E5c's. (I have found so far that the tri flange sound best, but unmodded are still the least comfortable.) I also want to share that I purchased these phones from Todd The Vinyl Junkie and what a fantastic experience. He was really teriffic and I can highly recommend him for excellent customer service and product knowledge. As a bonus, turns out we are both vinyl junkies and spent a nice time chatting about our favorite bands, etc. But I digress...

I found the E5c's to sound so much better than my pals E3c. The bottom end is there, assuming a proper seal has been accomplished. I will continue to experiment with these wonderful sounding phones. Thus far they have caused me to dig back into my cd and vinyl collection to re-listen to stuff I have not heard for awhile. They sound killer with my Ipod 4th gen 20g as well.

Oct 12, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 26
Glad to know you like them, keep us posted!
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 26
I want to echo what bLue_oNioN said: Glad you like them! From what I've read about the E5c's, I'm sure I'd like them better than the E3c's as well.

Just curious--have you tried Etys? If you love the bass of the E5c them I'm sure Etymotics would sound a bit lean to you, but so many people here rave over them, there just has to be something special about them...

Oct 12, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 26
The Etymotics sound clearer than the E5. The more I listen to the E5 and the ER-4P/S along with my other premium phones along with EQ testing, the less I'm a fan of the Etys. The E5 seems to hold in check a problem which I'm not prepared to discuss yet (because although I can hear it I don't have access to the equipment for conclusive proof), while the Etys make a feature of it.

It's even more my opinion now that if you want high fidelity and optimum detail that the E5 is actually the best among the generic fit earphones, despite the tonal characteristics of the ER-4's which does seem to make things clearer. Of course, if you like the flavour of the Etys this may be irrelevant. I'm just saying that I think the E5 is truer to the original recording.

Oct 12, 2004 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 26
Whenever New York's weather is not conducive to cycling, I clip an iPod and portable amplifier to my belt and enjoy 2-3 hours of music during my daily commute. I started off with a Porta Corda-I (PC-I) and Etymotic ER6, which were a huge improvement over the barefoot iPod and various Walkman-styled phones I had tried then discarded. Later, I bought ER4Ps but found them excruciatingly microphonic when walking; once seated in the train, however, I could appreciate that they had a much cleaner midrange than the ER6 and were generally more "dynamic" sounding.

Having tasted something better than the ER6 but finding the ER4P unsuitable during the major part of my commute, and figuring that passing the cables over my ears might reduce the microphonics, I treated myself to a pair of E5cs. That fixed the cable noise but I was not exactly bowled over by the sound. Compared with the Etys, the Shures seemed to have a saddle-shaped response: lots of bass and high treble but nothing much in between. On the plus side, the soundstage did gain in breadth and depth. In time, I grew used to them but I felt there was insufficient excitement to justify their premium sticker price. I also grew unhappy with their bloated bass whenever I listened to a piece that had received too much equalization in that part of the spectrum. (The bonus tracks on the CD release of Elton John's "Captain Fantastic" are hideous in that regard.) Even engaging the PC-I's crossfeed could not tame it. I started to drift back to the ER6.

When HeadRoom announced their Total BitHead (TBH) model, I immediately ordered one to see if I could improve on the already excellent sound out of my PowerBook G3. It did, but not by much -- Apple did a great job with that motherboard. The logical next step was to substitute the TBH for the PC-I in my mobile rig and that's where things got really interesting.

The synergy between the TBH and E5c is extraordinary. On good classical and jazz recordings, the improvement in the soundstage is enormous. The TBH/E5c combination adds layers of ambiance cues that were simply inaudible with the PC-I. I no longer need to engage the TBH "processor" except for the most egregious "ping pong stereo" recordings. This is just as well, since the processor's peculiar effect on treble balance is painfully obvious through the Shures. The TBH's iron-clad control of low bass reduces the E5c's bloat to manageable proportions, while the E5c's high treble "tizziness" is less noticeable. The only downside is background noise: the E5c's very high sensitivity makes the TBH noise floor just audible. By comparison, the PC-I is dead quiet.

On a recent long cross-country flight, I had nothing better to do than perform a few mix & match comparisons. I found that with the ER4P (even converted to ER4S with an adapter cable), the differences between the TBH and PC-I were much less apparent. After listening to either amplifier for a few minutes, the memory of the other faded completely. This applied across the musical spectrum. Compared with the E5c, the sound was much more localized around each ear, making crossfeed/processing necessary to get the sound out of my head. Both amps revealed the improvement the ER4 represents over the ER6, as noted earlier. With rock and pop music, the TBH/E5c magic is not so much of an advantage, due to the somewhat recessed midrange. On some recordings, where the production relies on studio effects rather than recording space ambiance, I found the "up-front" presentation of the ER4 to be preferable, even allowing for the relatively lean bass response. There is no trace of bloat with the Etys, with either amplifier.

A word about E5c fit: I much prefer the triple flange adapter over the hard sleeves and the foam. (I have not tried the new soft sleeves.) In order to avoid discomfort while still allowing an adequate seal, I had to cut off the smallest of the three flanges. It now looks a bit like the original ER6 sleeve, but with a longer "stalk". I could never get the foamies to stay put and the seal was ineffective. The hard sleeves were uncomfortable, did not seal very well, and sounded harsh. I suspect that they partially reflect sound rather than absorbing it like the foam and the softer plastic. I pass the cable over the top of my ears then in front of my neck, rather than behind as Shure recommends. This results in the first contact with clothing occurring further from the ears, which reduces the microphonics significantly. The cable material seems to dampen the noise very effectively. I drop the cable down inside the front of my shirt, exiting between the buttons near my waistline where the amp sits attached to my belt in a HeadRoom MiniDisc bag. The iPod is attached next to it in a Waterfield Designs iPod case. It's about as secure and discreet as mobile sound gets.

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion Zion
Just a post to thank everyone who offered their invaluable advise and input relative to helping me with the issues I had around fitting and filters for the Shure E5c's. (I have found so far that the tri flange sound best, but unmodded are still the least comfortable.) I also want to share that I purchased these phones from Todd The Vinyl Junkie and what a fantastic experience.

I too just received some E5Cs from TTVJ and I echo your comments. Great guy, great sevice and I woud definitely do business with him again.

The E5C are totally different to my ER4P/S, and I find them better for commuting. Also find the large flex sleeves to give me the best seal, as well as my Etymotic large yellow foamies.

Does anyone know if I can use the large E2 foamies on the E5C as it says that they are for the E2 only?

Simon

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb
Does anyone know if I can use the large E2 foamies on the E5C as it says that they are for the E2 only?

I don't think so -- the diameter of the stalk of the E2 is far larger than that of the E5. I wish it did though, I have both and would more than welcome more options when it comes to the E5
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 26
machead - Thanks so much for such a detailed description of your experience.

I notice that you used the tri-flanges. I found the tri-flanges to be much too muddy for my tastes -- personally, I prefer the foamies in terms of SQ far and above any of the other tips.

Oct 12, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 26
at some point in the near future, i'd really like to hear the E5's. i was able to fairly extensively A/B the ER4S and my ER6i this past weekend, and the ER4S did absolutely nothing for me. this suggests to me that i'd probably like the E5 sound, as it should do everything my ER6i do and more.

Oct 12, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 26
The E5c and the Eys (4P and 4S) ate very different and eahc have their place depnding on what music you listen to and how you like it to sound.

For bass with impact (or as much as you could likely get with in-ear phones) the E5c is unmatched for the money. However, there is a price to pay in the mids being less well defined and the highs with less sparkle. However, as an all round performance the E5c is a great phone.

For better defined mids and highs, but with slightly less bass impact, that is where the Etys come in. For some music you just can't beat the Etys, and I use the 4P if un-amped and the 4S if amped. Violins are unmatched by just about anything (bar perhaps the Sensaphonic 2X at almost four times the price). With a good seal the bass on the Etys is not visceral as the E5c, but it is there and it is defined.

To really see what the Etys 4S is capable of, plug them into an amp (I use the Corda HA-2) and stick on any Pat Methany. Pure music!

To see what the E5c is capable of, plug it into the amp too and stick on Pink Floyd's "Sorrow". Pure bass!

Simon

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 26
Actually, I never auditioned the Etymotic line at all. Perhaps I should have. However, I tried to read all of the posts and comparisons here. It is certainly a divided camp! I felt that as my musical tastes run mostly to rock, jazz, reggae and world music, the Shures would better fit the bill. I hope that I am not missing out on some details that the etys apparently provide over the Shures. I borrowed my friends E3c (he is nuts about them) and while I didn't listen to them for a real extended period, when I a/b them with the E5c's, there was no contest. Howevewr, it did seem like the E3's were a cinch to slap on while the 5s after two weeks still take a bit of doing. I believe this to be the result of the heavier duty cords and the memory cable. Ultimately, the improved bass and overall presentation tipped the scale way in their favor. I did learn a tip from Todd relative to getting a good seal. He recommended a bit of saliva on each filter just prior to insertion. It seems to work! I will certainly go back to listening with the foamies and large gray colored filters given to me from my E3c pal's fit kit. It just seems that the tri flange still sound the best. At least so far. Again, I haven't modded them and they sure seem to be a formidible mass to shove into ones ears! My limited overall experience shows the Shure E5c's to offer a really fantastic listening experience to those who are willing be patient to put in the effort to properly experiment with the various filters and overall cable adjustments required in order to realize their full potential.

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb

For bass with impact (or as much as you could likely get with in-ear phones) the E5c is unmatched for the money.

Maybe you should do a search on Westone UM2's. They are not as popular but people have started to notice them and use them.They are about an average of 50 dollars cheaper compared to the e5c's at under 300. From what I've heard, people who have a/b'ed the e5c's and UM2's say that the UM2's have clearer highs and mids with about the same bass (maybe not as punchy). The people I have asked who have tried them both prefer the UM2's over the e5c's as an all around phone. I'll be getting mine friday hopefully.
icon10.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 26
My own feeling relative to choosing a brand was to stick with the two front runners so to speak, i.e. Etymotic and Shure. As time goes on I believe more and more mfgs. will jump on the iem bandwagon, but for now I chose to stick with these two main players. I also believe each company offers enough of a product line to satisfy most tastes/budgets. I was given the red carpet treatment by Todd who is a dealer for each and so far, have not regretted purchasing the E5c.

p.s. looks like you are sporting a pair of chinchilla earphones. How is the bass on them? What a great idea for winter time use. I will have to see if there are replacement pads like them available for my Grados.

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 26
the thing is, Westone UM2 or Shure e5c's, either way you'll probably be satisfied if you like the style. They are both similar. Shure used to be a part of westone until they split into their own company. Westone has been around longer and used to design all of the shure canalphones. They are both very similar but from all the great reviews I have heard about them compared, I just could not resist buying them at 275 dollars.

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
the thing is, Westone UM2 or Shure e5c's, either way you'll probably be satisfied if you like the style. They are both similar. Shure used to be a part of westone until they split into their own company. Westone has been around longer and used to design all of the shure canalphones. They are both very similar but from all the great reviews I have heard about them compared, I just could not resist buying them at 275 dollars.

That isn't exactly correct. Shure has been around making audio equipment much longer than westone. They were making recording devices in ww2. However, Westone is the leading manufacturer, and from what I have read the E5s (and possibly the e1) were manufactured by westone for a period of time. Westone also has done or is still doing the manufacturing for some of the UE line. They make everything from hearing aids to prosthetic ears, and do the manufacturing for many companies.

Edit: (silly rude me)

Congratulations Lion on your purchase. If the experiences of the other head-fiers here is any indication, you are going to love your new iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back