New E500 Owner
Mar 13, 2007 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

GravY

100+ Head-Fier
And couldnt be any happier..

only got to listen to them for about an hour, will get full time with them tonight at work..

but..

in comparison with my E3C's these blow them out of the water, not that the E3C's sounded bad, I rather liked them. Bass, Highs and mids all at the same time is [borat]Niiiice[ /borat]. I found with my E3c's and custom foamies things get kinda messy when a whole bunch of music was going on at once, I primarily listen to rock/metal, E500's handle this very well and keep things separated.

I have them running straight from my Zune at this point, my next purchase or project is to get/make a good interconnect to my LDM+, they sound good from the Zune and almost make me think why use the LDM+ if I really dont have to.. what do you think on this subject.

I had been making custom tips with Howard Leight Max Plugs supplied at work, however I think im going to use the tri-flange cut to a bi.. fits nice and does a good job of isolation.. should have tried these out before with my E3C and saved myself some time making new tips every day.. How long can I expect the Bi-Flange to last? should I buy replacements now?

**E3C's at a comfortable listening level straight from the Zune was at a level of 8 to 9\20, E500's have moved that to 5-6\20, everything is there at lower listening levels, I love that**

single quibble - why did Shure make the extension cable a straight connect and not a 180 like the E3C? I wear the Zune on my hip all day sitting, moving ect I feel like im going to mash up against the plug all day shaking things lose or bend the cable enough to ruin it.. going to have to find a replacement for this, any recommendations?

cant wait to actually go to work today and get 8+ hrs in with the E500's today.. Thanks to lmilhan for parting ways with these fine IEM's..
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 15
Try the new black foamies, they take the E500 to another level.

Glad your enjoying em, they are awesome

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 15
Only use the LDM+ if it's you have the low gain version. It's very noisy with the normal LDM+. And yes, get the black foams. They're insanely good.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GravY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had been making custom tips with Howard Leight Max Plugs supplied at work, however I think im going to use the tri-flange cut to a bi.. fits nice and does a good job of isolation.. should have tried these out before with my E3C and saved myself some time making new tips every day.. How long can I expect the Bi-Flange to last? should I buy replacements now?

I think that you should get some significant time out of the Bi/Tri-Flange adators. I have both the e5c and the e500 and though I don't use the flange attachments alot, I use the similar style earplugs in the military and they have lasted through years of combat and range shooting (I usually replace when I lose them). Just wipe them down and you should be good to go. I like to keep spares around as I am a long ways from home but I think that you should be good for the long run.

Enjoy the e500's they are a great set of IEMs. They keep me company whenever I am on the go.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try the new black foamies, they take the E500 to another level.

Glad your enjoying em, they are awesome

tried the black new foamies, the ones I made work better than those.. I was very surprised the bi-flange tips work as well as they do.. might have the right type of ear canal for them but they seal damn near the same as my custom tips.

which reminds me of another little quibble, wow does the tube on the e500 look long and fragile.. any word on problems with them breaking..

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only use the LDM+ if it's you have the low gain version. It's very noisy with the normal LDM+. And yes, get the black foams. They're insanely good.

Ordered the LDM+ with the gain set for the E3C's should be good to go..

now an interconnect, been looking at some of the fancy ones you guys are using and really dont want to plunk down that type of money on one, Im not listening to lossless (listen to 192 kb/s) and im in an auto plant so I still have some sound bleed from all the noise going on so its not a optimal listening environment. Think I might hit up the local Electronics shop (not Radio Shack but A real Electronics shop) and buy some good quality wire and plugs and make my own.. think it should be good enough for my use.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

which reminds me of another little quibble, wow does the tube on the e500 look long and fragile.. any word on problems with them breaking..

I haven't heard of any breaking, but I agree they do look a bit fragile. I wince every time I change tips on mine.

Mar 13, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard of any breaking, but I agree they do look a bit fragile. I wince every time I change tips on mine.

yea the little flange to keep the plugs on makes it a pain in the ass to get the plugs off.. yikes..

Mar 13, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

And couldnt be any happier..

only got to listen to them for about an hour, will get full time with them tonight at work..

but..

in comparison with my E3C's these blow them out of the water, not that the E3C's sounded bad, I rather liked them. Bass, Highs and mids all at the same time is [borat]Niiiice[ /borat]. I found with my E3c's and custom foamies things get kinda messy when a whole bunch of music was going on at once, I primarily listen to rock/metal, E500's handle this very well and keep things separated.

I have them running straight from my Zune at this point, my next purchase or project is to get/make a good interconnect to my LDM+, they sound good from the Zune and almost make me think why use the LDM+ if I really dont have to.. what do you think on this subject.

**E3C's at a comfortable listening level straight from the Zune was at a level of 8 to 9\20, E500's have moved that to 5-6\20, everything is there at lower listening levels, I love that**

single quibble - why did Shure make the extension cable a straight connect and not a 180 like the E3C? I wear the Zune on my hip all day sitting, moving ect I feel like im going to mash up against the plug all day shaking things lose or bend the cable enough to ruin it.. going to have to find a replacement for this, any recommendations?

cant wait to actually go to work today and get 8+ hrs in with the E500's today.. Thanks to lmilhan for parting ways with these fine IEM's..
smily_headphones1.gif

Funny, but I made the selfsame move myself - from E3C's to E500's - and haven't looked back. Not only better sound but far more comforatable too. Best of both worlds. Bet you enjoyed them didn't you?

Mar 14, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

May I ask why you would be constantly changing tips? Once found, I would think you'd not need to any longer.

Mar 14, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
May I ask why you would be constantly changing tips? Once found, I would think you'd not need to any longer.

cleaning, I Use foamies and you dont want to keep sticking them in your ears over and over, I make a new set daily..

btw the bi-flanges were short lived, when working and moving around the left ear keeps coming unsealed, I always have a tough time with that ear and seals, canal must be shaped funny..

went through trial and error today making foamies, the shape of the headphone is quite different than the E3's and in return doesnt sit in the canal as far.. the size I was making for the E3's didnt go deep enough for my liking.. so I tried different sizes and finally settled on using the tube from the bi-flanges giving me a longer plug which goes a tad deeper in my ears, result was an easy and perfect seal that blocks out as much sound as my E3's.

I like these over the new foams, they are more rigid when expanded, return to form slower giving you time to get them in correctly and are sized just right and free
smily_headphones1.gif

plugscb8.jpg

another little gripe, the cable adjust slider is way too loose and slides down easily.. gonna have to rig something up to fix that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back