New DVD Player as Source
Jun 22, 2010 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rhfactor1

100+ Head-Fier
I have an older Toshiba SD-3960 DVD player as a CD transport for my bedroom setup with a SS headphone amplifier. Mainly due to the fact it was highly touted in a well respected audio magazine to be used as a transport and having very good analog outputs so it could be used well with CD's. Is there anything on the market today that would be better for my purposes in the bedroom. Probably be looking at DVD player under $100 USD, are Toshibas still a good option or possibly Philips? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy Listening.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 3
While I don't have a specific suggestion in that price category, there are quite a few used, but good quality SACD players on Ebay that would be a great source for you under $200, if you are lucky.  Also, a digital output would allow you to buy a separate DAC later to improve the sound quality overall, even if you don't want to buy into the SACD platform.

What's funny is that a few months ago I was thinking along similar lines for a bedside rig...and promptly ended up with a top-of-the-line  modded Sony SACD transport (in my signature).  I've bought it used, but it was still very expensive and a lot more I wanted to spend.

Some may be marginally better than others, commodity DVD players typically do not have quality audio DAC chipsets to offer audiophile performance like the audiophile dedicated CD players.  So, unless you'd like to invest a bit more, might as well stick with the Toshiba for now, IMHO.

Jun 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't know, I'd rather get a CD player or a real transport. I used to like PS3 as a transport but since I got the ND-S1 I see PS3 does not offer SQ good enough. It lacks "musicality" and sounds very digital compared to the Onkyo dock. Since your budget is under 100 maybe you could have a look at Sony SCD-XE597. Its the cheapest SACD player I have found, obviously you can get a CD player for even cheaper than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back