New -durable- IEM for $150ish?
Jun 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #32 of 35

Quote:
How would the ERP4 fair against the MC5? or HF5 for that matter? And would a creative zen vision:m/X-fi2/iphone3gs be able to drive these?

I don't own them, but the ER-4P are 27 ohm, and most players should drive them fine.  If needed, an Fiio E5 amp is only $25 and it will give a very nice boost. 

BTW, my RE0 is 64 ohm and I do have to turn the volume on my Zune or Fuze up a bit to hear them loudly.  My Meelec M9 is 16 ohm and they are almost too loud, if I ever wanted to listen real loud, which I don't.  While ohm measurement is not the ONLY factor in volume, it is important and usually the lower the measurement, the easier to drive.

Jun 30, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #33 of 35
Yeah I figured, since the RE2s are 32ohm and creative xfi2 drives them nicely, so 27ohms on the ERP4 will sound a bit louder. Though I never play any of my music "loud".

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #34 of 35
You want an IEM for an iPhone without controls? Means you can't take calls with the phones. I've owned the ER4P/S, the er6i and the MC5 (and two Creative Zen Vision Ms). I believe the MC5 provides the best value. But it's your wallet. Both are excellent IEMs, but to me, the lower priced IEM with the new dynamic driver is close enough to warrant saving the $70 or more.

Etymotic now has three best-in-class earphone product families
The Etymotic MC-Series joins Etymotic’s two other series of earphones and headsets, each of which offers the world’s most accurate noise-isolating earphones in its category as well as other best-in-class performance benefits.
At the $300 mark, Etymotic’s ER series offers ACCU•Driver™ technology with precision hand-matched balanced • armatures for the highest frequency response accuracy and performance of any earphone.
In the sub-$200 range, Etymotic’s HF series features ACCU•Driver technology with precision-crafted balanced • armatures to deliver the highest frequency accuracy in its class, along with a brushed color style that matches the design of popular Apple products.
At the sub $100 range, the MC-Series includes a high-output moving coil driver design matched with patent-pending • ACCU•Chamber technology, delivering unequalled sound quality and the highest noise isolation in its price class.
http://www.etymotic.com/aer/press/ER_PRESS_RELEASE__mcSeries.pdf

The Etymotic MC-Series joins Etymotic’s two other series of earphones and headsets, each of which offers the world’s most accurate noise-isolating earphones in its category as well as other best-in-class performance benefits.
At the $300 mark, Etymotic’s ER series offers ACCU•Driver™ technology with precision hand-matched balanced • armatures for the highest frequency response accuracy and performance of any earphone.
In the sub-$200 range, Etymotic’s HF series features ACCU•Driver technology with precision-crafted balanced • armatures to deliver the highest frequency accuracy in its class, along with a brushed color style that matches the design of popular Apple products.
At the sub $100 range, the MC-Series includes a high-output moving coil driver design matched with patent-pending • ACCU•Chamber technology, delivering unequalled sound quality and the highest noise isolation in its price class.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #35 of 35
Slaters70, Yah I don't really care much about not being able to make calls, adding a microphone IMO, just adds another breakable part :p Right now, I've pretty much narrowed it down to MC5 and HF5, as I can't say I will have a better source (eg not a DAP) to justify buying the ERP4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back