New -durable- IEM for $150ish?
Jun 29, 2010 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

maudit

New Head-Fier
Sadly, I was going to go for head-direct RE0 or REZer0s, but unfortunately i've jus had some bad experiences, first my RE2s right side went completely mute, RMA'd then around 8+ months, just yesterday, the right side is now going soft and if I turn up the volume it goes to complete static... Such a nag as they are out of warranty and all I have as backup are Creative ep630 and those are nasty muddied out bass, vocal are absent, etc. But they'll have to do until I get a replacement.

So in my list from other members suggestions are

etymotic HF5 $100ish
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 $100ish on amazon

Best case scenario would be Phiaton PS200, BUTT i'd rather not spend $200+ on a pair of IEM ATM, like the topic says, for around $150?

I am looking for a brand with DURABILITY and  good quality control, I could justify spending $200 on the phiaton if they were 100% more durable and better build quality then Etys or UE. Again HEAD-DIRECt no more, they just don't feel built to last, sadly...

I prefer sound quality analytical/cold ala head direct.

I think that i've made up my mind either the Etys or Monster Turbine High non pro

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 35
I don't have the UEs, but they're durability is not exactly known to be stellar.  I do have the HF5s, on the other hand, and I trust them implicitly.  They're not going to survive being stepped on, but they've been great in every way -- and they sound very nice too.  Definitely on the analytical side, which sounds like your preference.

You may also want to consider the cheaper Ety MC5s, which are brand new.  Looks interesting!

Yip

Jun 29, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 35
If you're looking into spending ~$200 on the phiatons and you like analytical sound, might as well look into the ATH-CK10. Build quality is even better than with the PS200s and the sound is a step up as far as analytical signatures go. The PS200 actually has a slight bit of warmth to it, though the treble is still excellent.

As for your lower budget, I would not recommend dropping $100 on the SuperFi's. They are nice earphones, but $100 is too much considering the other options in the price range. Even the Hippo Shrooms have better detail and resolution. I've not heard the Etys but you may also want to look into the new dynamic-driver Ety, the MC5. Falls right in that price range. 

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
Sadly, I was going to go for head-direct RE0 or REZer0s, but unfortunately i've jus had some bad experiences, first my RE2s right side went completely mute, RMA'd then around 8+ months, just yesterday, the right side is now going soft and if I turn up the volume it goes to complete static... Such a nag as they are out of warranty and all I have as backup are Creative ep630 and those are nasty muddied out bass, vocal are absent, etc. But they'll have to do until I get a replacement.

So in my list from other members suggestions are

etymotic HF5 $100ish
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 $100ish on amazon

Best case scenario would be Phiaton PS200, BUTT i'd rather not spend $200+ on a pair of IEM ATM, like the topic says, for around $150?

I am looking for a brand with DURABILITY and  good quality control, I could justify spending $200 on the phiaton if they were 100% more durable and better build quality then Etys or UE. Again HEAD-DIRECt no more, they just don't feel built to last, sadly...

I prefer sound quality analytical/cold ala head direct.

I think that i've made up my mind either the Etys or Monster Turbine High non pro

Cold, analytical, built like a tank.  That's the CK-10 period....the end.  I've seen them for for as little as $175.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
ljokerl, whats your take on the monster turbine, non pro ? The ATH-CK10. aren't available at amazon. nor newegg.

No Monsters are cold and analytitcal, complete opposite of what you are looking for in sound.  Get the Ety's then.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:
ljokerl, whats your take on the monster turbine, non pro ? The ATH-CK10. aren't available at amazon. nor newegg.

The non-pro turbine is neither cold nor analytical and its biggest weakness is in the treble. Plus it's too expensive for what it offers - the ViSang R03 is just as good (IMO) and only costs $60. 

The CK10s are sold out nearly everywhere. I think adorama camera had them in stock last I checked though.

Jun 29, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 35
Man this sux
"his item is currently out of stock and on backorder.
Please note: You can order this now and have us ship it as soon as it arrives.
We will not charge your card for any backordered items, until it is ready to actually ship."

From adorama...

If head-direct weren't so bad in build quality and QC, I would've gone RE0s...

Since the monster turbine are  a big no and CK10 are completely sold out everywhere and anywhere, Any other suggestions?

Jun 29, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 35
You should still be able to get the CK10 from Japan no? Although a bit more expensive but should still be there.

edit: you should also look at the FS forums

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #15 of 35
At $150 or so you probably will have to make some compromises. The best may be DBA 02 but their cables do not exactly scream durability but should be above average in durability. However you will have to wait a while to get them unless someone has them in the FS forums which is unlikely. Although that may have some part to do with me owning the CK10 and experienced what real durability in a cable is since very few can match the CK10 durability.

I can't really think of too many neutral and $150 range with decent durability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back