New DT990s vs. RS-1s?
Sep 11, 2006 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone compared the new DT990s vs. the RS-1s? I think jpelg commented on it, but I need as much info as I can. Seeing the B&H price and all the positive things coming out about the DT990s, I am very tempted
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Has anyone compared the new DT990s vs. the RS-1s? I think jpelg commented on it, but I need as much info as I can. Seeing the B&H price and all the positive things coming out about the DT990s, I am very tempted
evil_smiley.gif

Ziode, i don't get it. you were balking at the $200 price on the B&H DT990 sale thread, and now you want to compare them to $700 phones?! []http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...postcount=170]
is this just about sonic curiosity or are you actually considering popping for the grados? personally the rs-1 didn't quite do it for me. the alessandro variant - ms-pro - i find more satisfying and tonally accurate. there was something i found a bit irritating with the rs-1. but the beyer 990 sale thread is tempting my poor, smouldering wallet....
evil_smiley.gif

curse you head-fi!

Sep 11, 2006 at 6:34 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek
Ziode, i don't get it. you were balking at the $200 price on the B&H DT990 sale thread, and now you want to compare them to $700 phones?! []http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showp...postcount=170]
is this just about sonic curiosity or are you actually considering popping for the grados? personally the rs-1 didn't quite do it for me. the alessandro variant - ms-pro - i find more satisfying and tonally accurate. there was something i found a bit irritating with the rs-1. but the beyer 990 sale thread is tempting my poor, smouldering wallet....
evil_smiley.gif

curse you head-fi!

Well, I already have the RS-1s, and I like them quite a lot. There are some comfort issues and stuff like that, though. And then there's the B&H temptation
evil_smiley.gif

I wasn't really "balking" at paying $200 for the 990s. I was just saying that before I spend $200 (which is still a lot of money) I want to know a bit more about what I'm getting.

(Oh, and I did not pay $700 for the RS-1s! That would be crazy. I bought them used)

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 7
you could go to mr headfile to help with some of those comfort issues. perhaps some c-pads and headband mods would ease the pain
wink.gif

and after you've spent that money, you can buy some beyers too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek
you could go to mr headfile to help with some of those comfort issues. perhaps some c-pads and headband mods would ease the pain
wink.gif

and after you've spent that money, you can buy some beyers too.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Ah, but I'm one step ahead of you. I already have C-pads, and I pasted the bottom part of a Beyer headband on to my RS-1s with double-sided tape
biggrin.gif
I actually think I prefer the sound of reverse bowls to the C-pads.

Sep 11, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 7
GODDAMMIT! I just bought the DT990s!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I figured:

1) If I like them more than my RS-1s, I can sell the RS-1s and end up making money.

2) If I don't like the DT990s, I can wait for the B&H offer to be over and sell them for what I paid for them (or more).

[size=x-small]I just realized this thread has waaay to many evil smilies...[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back