New Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings review
Jun 21, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #31 of 77
Thanks for the review.

The album is very good but maybe not one of their best. I've now listened it through three times and it gets better on every listen though. The last track is definitely the best one and quite epic indeed. Some awesome melodies there.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #32 of 77
Hmmm....if it doesn't blow as much as the last two albums, I will be at least somewhat pleased. Hopefully they have found some direction. I'm not very impressed with "A Rite of Passage," the main riff is a watered-down version of "In the Name of God," and the song itself is pretty forgettable. Only the solos caught my attention, and even then, by DT standards, they weren't that laudable.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #33 of 77
The Best of Times is outstanding. A couple of sections that aren't quite there, but the solo is amazing.

I also like The Shattered Fortress. Definitely one for the hardcore fans. If you haven't heard the rest of the 12-step suite, this song will make no sense and probably seem quite bad, as it is a bit mashed together.

The rest of the songs are pretty good so far. I think they'll grow on me. I like Wither.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #34 of 77
I'm listening to the whole album now and A Nightmare to Remember is sounding better than it did last night. Perhaps I was too tired at 2 something AM
tongue.gif

I haven't got past the first track yet, but I'm loving the harmonies at around 7 minutes
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #36 of 77
Well that was overall a pretty solid album and I think I prefer it to Sysematic Chaos.
The Best of Times is a really nice piece, beautiful to listen to. The guitar melodies really sing and hit a spot with me.
The Shattered Fortress was the most involving for me, perhaps because of all the riffs taken from the other pieces in the AA suite. It really got me excited and air drumming
tongue.gif

A Right of Passage didn't really do anything for me, at least not compared to the rest of the album. The first half was good, but I felt the second half of The Count of Tuscany was a good finish to the album.

I'll certainly be listening again at work as well as getting through the other 2 CDs with the album.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #38 of 77
Eh, I guess I'll go try it out for free...but..... expecting nothing from that band anymore

Even less do I expect them to sing about something other than god and marriage, though

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #39 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luminette /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh, I guess I'll go try it out for free...but..... expecting nothing from that band anymore

Even less do I expect them to sing about something other than god and marriage, though

Alcohol???? Duh.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #40 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hows the overall sound quality of the album?

In my opinion, it is their best sounding album, production wise. I've all their albums and have never been fully satisfied with the sound quality.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, it is their best sounding album, production wise. I've all their albums and have never been fully satisfied with the sound quality.

Yesterday I listened to the last track with my headphones and clearly heard some distortion on few sections. I just received my new DAC and it has revealed some distortion on few other albums also, something that I haven't heard before. I was afraid that there's something wrong with the DAC but I don't think so. The distortion is only audible on some newer CDs and knowing the way they master most of the albums today, it can't be the DACs fault.

When I get home I can try to find the exact spots where I hear the distortion. Of course it can be something else in my setup also. I must try with my iPod also.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #43 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also noticed some distortion in one or two spots, can't remember where, but it's not just you. I found there was quite a few spots in Systematic Chaos with distortion/clipping IIRC.

Yeah in Systematic Chaos I heard some distortion also. Though I still use the first track from Systematic Chaos as one of my test tracks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #44 of 77
Well, I'm on my third attempt at the album. I couldn't sit through it the first time and was too tired/fell asleep the second time.

Production wise I can't complain. I think I've heard a little distortion here and there, nothing obnoxious though. For the most part I'm digging the production...

...and just can't get engaged by the songs. I know, it's Dream Theater. It's not supposed to be hook laden, fist pumping, engaging type music. Maybe I'm just at my limit for Dream Theater-style technical prog. I guess I'll know with a few more listens.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #45 of 77
It's better than Systematic Chaos, thank goodness, but I agree with Wenglish that it's not that engaging. I like it, but it may take a while to embrace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back