New Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings review
Apr 27, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #16 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a related note, Porcupine tree is touring the US later this year, and I just bought tickets to watch them in SFO in september. \m/

They are also in Montreal on the 29 of September.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 77
I seem to recall hearing one Dream Theater CD a while back and not liking it, but I can't remember why not. Maybe it was the vocals? Perhaps I should give them a second chance.

Apr 29, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #18 of 77
Ugh, they are stuck in a rut. "A Nightmare to Remember" does not give me high hopes for the rest of the album. It sounds like the last two albums; so formulaic and predictable. The lyrics are terrible. I love Awake and they have great songs spread throughout the rest of their albums, but they are stagnant. They have been on the same mindset since Train of Thought. I want to like them, since I know what they have done in the past, but Christ, mix it up a bit...

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #19 of 77
I've preordered my copy, but after listening through the leaked album I've downloaded (hey, I still bought the CD, so don't judge), it feels like Octavarium all over again. "The best of Times" is just too damn happy and mainstream sounding, or at least the first few minutes of it are. Then, their more "epic" songs, starts off ok, before becoming longwinded and draggy. I hope I'll grow to like it, I think I will, eventually, hopefully.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #20 of 77
I'm going to hold off on downloading a copy, despite having a pre-order in.

I, too, am hoping that this album breaks from the formula--some bands I listen to because I want to hear the same old thing, just with a slightly different chord progression. Prog bands are not on that list, or at least, they're not supposed to be.

I mean, hell, take a look at Beardfish. They're retro prog and they sound fresher than DT to my ears.

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #21 of 77
I am not sure if any of you seen a thread of mine about Dream Theater (where to start), but since that time from the original thread, I have acquired Images and Words, as well Awake. I really enjoy both albums, IAW for its melodic changes and harmonic progression and Awake for its more heavier guitar riffs. Before I go ahead and get their newest release, I need to catch up with more older releases. I am somewhat a man of chronology.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #22 of 77
I have heard the final mix of the new album for the first time yesterday and I am still not a huge fan of Paul Northfield's work with Dream Theater. The last 2 albums that he did with them sound compressed and lack dynamics
frown.gif

It's still slightly better than Systematic Chaos..

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #23 of 77
I think the covers are actually mixed much better than the main album
frown.gif
I agree that A Nightmare to Remember sounds very much like anything they released after Six degrees, but the rest of the album sounds better and more varied though. Not among their best, but pretty solid.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #25 of 77
I have all their albums. But I kinda lost interest after Train of thought. I love all their albums until ToT. But I just cannot get myself to listen to their newer offerings. I have all the CDs, but I guess I do not have the patience anymore. Like someone else said here, they have got into a rut or something. But as usual, I most probably will be buying this one too.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #26 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the first two songs of the album and I think that it's going to be their best effort since SFAM.

Now thats saying a lot...

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #29 of 77
Picked up the album today. Listening to "A Nightmare to Remember" right now (that's all I'll listen to tonight, it's late
tongue.gif
).
I'm really enjoying the components of the song, but it seems kind of mish-mashed, lots of different elements and themes not quite fitting as nicely as they could. Good overall, just a few bits seem a little out of place.

I'll be able to have a better listen to the whole album tomorrow night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back