New DIY CDP from Tent labs
Sep 2, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Yes, it is most likely a NOS using the PCM1704s. I'm unsure on the filters though, you'd probably have to ask him. He probably chose the PCM1704s on account that they're R2R (probably the best type of DAC) and the TDA154x just plain suck
plainface.gif
. That's just my opinion, of course, but there's a very good reason those chips aren't used in high quality DACs (of course you'll have the usual "audiophile" DAC maker and they'll use them like they're hot stuff.)

But yes, I'd imagine that the PCM1704 is worlds better than the TDA154x series. Guido's DIY CD player looks interesting as well. I'm currently building the one from www.audiodiylab.com, although I've currently put that on hold as I'm in college right now.

G'luck!

~Tom

Sep 3, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Nice...it will have the option for digital input.

Sep 3, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 14
Not to mention that it is probably of excellent design, considering Guido's previous DAC is rather good (especially in clocking and jitter rejection). For all you fellow NOSers out there, it should be quite interesting.

~Tom

Sep 3, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 14
For those people who never venture outside Head-Fi and do not know Guido Tent is pretty much an expert in all things within the digital audio domain. I have dealt with him before and so far everything that has come out of tentlabs has been of fantastic quality.

For 2000 euro you are most very likely to get a good cdplayer from a well known brand. However I really doubt that you would end up with a product this good. I have been watching this project for a while. The thing about doing things your way is you can toss the standards out of the window. Things like the digital output have perfectly terminated 75ohm BNCs, and the PCB termination also takes onboard the output impedance of the chips he uses to reclock before it leaves the player, something I have yet to see on any player. IIRC the output may even run at TTL level rather then S/PDIF +/-0.5Vp-p spec.

regal why the pCM1704? Probably because it is better then the antiquated crap that is the TDA154x line
tongue.gif
. Sorry but I have no interest in any of those chips even thae 1541 that DIYers praise no end. I even preferred the Advanced Segment PCM1730 over one of the chips in that series.

Also it is not a filterless design. It is a Non-OS design. A digital filter is still required as the PCM1704 is unable to take an I2S input directly from a cdplayer. The filter if I had to guess would be from NPC as he supplies a SM5842 replacement made from the SM5846 or 48 I can't remember exactly, but it is a great filter nonetheless.

Sep 4, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Guido Tent is a known brand.

I do know about guido tent. I've known about him since his days selling tent-clock DIY kit in diyaudio which was like 2001/2002.

I guess I wasn't clear. I meant he isn't a known/tested builder of CDP products.

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:08 AM Post #10 of 14
Oh... the Tentlabs XO isn't a known CDP product?
wink.gif

This would have been posted in the source forum if it were a known pre-built cdplayer
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Oh... the Tentlabs XO isn't a known CDP product?
wink.gif

This would have been posted in the source forum if it were a known pre-built cdplayer
biggrin.gif

you can't compare a clock to a whole CDP. and I meant the whole package and not its components
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #13 of 14
Lol I know, I was just being in an ass mood when I posted that. I was basically just saying that Tent is a trustworthy source for DIY projects, and an expert with regards to digital data, jitter, pcb layout, I think he even worked for Philips Semiconductors or something.

Quote:

Why not build a Flash memory FLAC player instead? Flash memory contains no moving parts and is therefore silent.

Few reasons. Firstly it would no longer be a cdplayer so one needs the time and effort to rip and encode the data to FLAC as well as moving it to the drive. No hassle really but if you don't have Terrabytes of HDD space and want to listen to a CD right now it is a pain.

Also FLASH has a limited read write cycle lifetime. If you write to it every day or more often expect it to only last a few years. A CDtransport will last 10+ if looked after properly.

And Tentlabs do not offer a FLASH player so one would actually have to do a lot more work
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 14
There is a new high-end CD playback system being launched soon. The technical explanation of its workings can be found within a recent entry at http://stereotimes.com/ by scrolling down a few entries and clicking on 'Memory Playback'. It is a complex story and is expected to surface as an expensive device at somewhere around $15K, depending on optional features. I am sure some here might be curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back