New Digital Audio Player or Upgrade 160GB iPod to 512GB
Oct 23, 2017 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ModernIdiot

New Head-Fier
I have been in the throes of trying to figure out what to do this past week since my 160GB iPod has officially run out of space. Since then, I have been researching what my next steps are. Some background is that I rip the music from my CDs. At the moment, I use AAC but would consider re-ripping to FLAC or ALAC if I had more memory to work with. However, I am not quite sure that my ears are up to audiophile standards enough to warrant re-ripping my 2,000+ CD collection.

At this point, I think I have two options, either expanding my current iPod storage with flash memory or getting a new DAP.

With expanding my iPod Classic, I have a 7th Generation 160GB iPod that I was considering expanding to 512GB, but I understand that even with the upgrade, the Apple software will only allow approximately 50,000 songs. As I understand it, I would need to download Rockbox onto my iPod to get around this, but it does not look as sleek or user-friendly as the traditional iPod software based on online videos and seems like I would have to re-name all of my iTunes files in order to have the database search work properly. Is there anyone that knows a workaround aside from using Rockbox? Otherwise, is there anyone that can speak to Rockbox actually being awesome and that I am just too stuck in my iPod-user mindset?

Alternatively, if I go with a new DAP, I would like the following requirements:
  • Sizable storage (at lease 400GB)
  • Truly gapless playback
  • Easy user interface
  • Desired features include easy album search functions, shuffle all song, shuffle artist
I was thinking that the iBasso DX80 or the Fiio X5 2nd Generation could work for me, but I am mostly concerned about the user interface transition moving from an iPod Classic since the reviews seem pretty mixed regarding the UI on these devices. Although I do not necessarily have a price range in mind, I also am not sure that my ears deserve some of the ultra-top-of-the-line DAPs.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what my next move should be?

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 3
I owned nearly all of Apples Daps and feel a very good Android phone or Apple for that matter will outperform the ipods. Even better is the LG V- series with better dacs and amps. Not sure of the micro sd card capacity limits but I use 32 GB in my V-10 and swap it out with another when I need some new tunes.

As for Rockbox, I thought it was a joke on a Sansa clip (which everyone raved about , crap player the Clip), What EQ stuff on a simple dap is beyond me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back