New desktop setup?
Nov 25, 2014 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ScottK

New Head-Fier
Seems posting this in the full-size section wasn't well received...

Anyway, I'm in the process of changing job and am going to spend a lot of time in an office on my own over the next few months and I was looking for suggestions for some new kit.

My source will be a macbook pro (mainly ALAC files) and I can spend ~$500, to include a DAC/amp and some headphones (could go a bit higher if necessary).  Generally I listen to classical music, with some jazz as well.  Historically I have bought a lot of IEMs but given a move to an office, thought I should move to full-size.  When listening to music with more bass, I will always default to my Heir 5.0 IEMs so that shouldn't be a consideration here.

Initially I'm thinking of grado 325, but I really don't know the full size space well (I've got some HD598s at home, which sound great, but look dreadful).

All help appreciated.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #3 of 14

I prefer a neutral sound, although I'm quite happy if there are more pronounced mids (I still listen to my Shure SE530 a lot). Large soundstage is important to me.

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 14

I prefer a neutral sound, although I'm quite happy if there are more pronounced mids (I still listen to my Shure SE530 a lot). Large soundstage is important to me.

You might do better with an AKG x7xx. Massdrop is offering the K7XX (no seriously that's the model number for their limited ed version) for $199, that leaves you $301 for a DAC-HPamp to drive it.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #5 of 14

You might do better with an AKG x7xx. Massdrop is offering the K7XX (no seriously that's the model number for their limited ed version) for $199, that leaves you $301 for a DAC-HPamp to drive it.

Since those cans won't be delivered until Feb., the Q701 can be had for $179:

https://www.buysonic.com/products/akg-q-701-quincy-jones-signature-reference-edition/

Dec 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for your help.  Decided to take a punt and went for k712 - only in the US for a couple of days so didn't have much time to order etc. Clearly the budget has gone out of the window, but I do still need something to drive them...

Anyway, they just arrived.  'Expect... and discover... perfection' is apparently what I've got in store.  I've yet to put them on but while I knew what I was ordering, the orange headband means that perfection is always going to be out of reach.  

In terms of how they sound, I will report back my thoughts. 

Jan 23, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 14

I really couldn't be happier with these.  Lightweight, comfortable (I wear them for ~5 hours/day), plenty of bass (for my tastes), soundstage great so all of the concerns I read about on other threads are not an issue to me.  They never leave my desk, an old fiio amp I had connected to my macbook pro drives them perfectly well.  I've not tried HD650, but compared to the 598s I've got at home it's a huge step up.

Jan 23, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 14
Congrats! Always great to find that perfect upgrade :)

And you never know. You might be an AKG house sound person instead of a Senn sound person, and would not have been happier with the HD650s.

Jan 23, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 14

You might do better with an AKG, Massdrop is offering the K7XX (no seriously that's the model number for their limited ed version) for $199, that leaves you $301 for a DAC-HPamp to drive it.

I ordered the AKG KXX (I'm #1944) and Massdrop processed my payment on Dec 2nd.
It's now 52 days latter and I have not even received a track number (so nothing shipped).

Jan 24, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 14
They charged your card and haven't shipped? That's not cool.

They (Massdrop) charged my card on Dec 2nd and the AKG KXXs where expected to ship out before Christmas.
I'm number 1944 out of the first 2000 batch.
Could be Massdrop was having issues with enough of the first batch that they ran out of "good" headphone, before getting to me
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back