New Dayton T-Amp looks very interesting
Mar 13, 2010 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

DrBenway

Headphoneus Supremus
I was clicking around the Parts Express Website, and I found a catalog listing for a forthcoming T-Amp, the DTA-100. Frankly, it looks way too good to be true. For just $100, this little unit promises to deliver 50 watts (into 8 ohms) a side to speakers, and also has a front-mounted 1/4" headphone jack. Inputs include a single RCA stereo connector on the back, and a 1/8" front-mounted minijack for quick connection of portables. Speaker terminals accept banana plugs only.

The reason I am so interested in this is simple: it could, if it is as good as the manufacturer claims, solve two of my problems. First of all, while I love my T-amp, it only puts out 15 watts a side, which really won't drive my speakers well. Second, I have been considering getting a dedicated headphone amp. If the T-amp board drives the headphone jack, performance is potentially very good.

Still, I'm skeptical of an amp that claims to deliver all of that for $100. It is encouraging that the original T-amp, which sounds great, cost less than half of that. So maybe...

Anyone else heard of this, or actually heard it? I would love to see Skylab and our other amp mavens put it through its paces when it becomes available (supposedly next month.)

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 12
It does look interesting, it would make for a good office or den unit for someone needing to drive an AKG K1000 for cheap. I do not need another amp or ...
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 12
Looks like a rebranded chinese/eBay T-amp. If you search for it, you'll see it shares virtually the same chassis and layout, not to mention some of the newer models have headphone outputs as well.

I believe they are quite cheaper too, but don't offer as much accessories

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like a rebranded chinese/eBay T-amp. If you search for it, you'll see it shares virtually the same chassis and layout, not to mention some of the newer models have headphone outputs as well.

I believe they are quite cheaper too, but don't offer as much accessories

That sounds quite possible to me. After all, the basic T-Amp they also sell is literally an exact copy of the original Sonic Impact product. I don't really care where it originated, as long as it delivers sonically. I'm not holding my breath...but I didn't expect much of the original T-Amp when I bought it. Imagine my surprise when I fired it up for the first time. Maybe lightning will strike a second time.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #5 of 12
That looks really cool. I used to own the old version of the T amp and it was nice. If the speakers sound decent and the headphone jack sounds as clear as a good portable amp, then it's a great bargan. I'd like to see some uo comming reviews.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 12
I have the first and second version of the SI T-amp and they drive my Klipsch Heresy good enough but can't even come close for my KG4. Could this do it? I had been looking at the amp6 from 41hz.com. this is worth a shot.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the first and second version of the SI T-amp and they drive my Klipsch Heresy good enough but can't even come close for my KG4. Could this do it? I had been looking at the amp6 from 41hz.com. this is worth a shot.

I'm not surprised that your first and sec gen T-amps drive the Heresys well; Klipsch speakers are horn-loaded and very efficient. The rule of thumb for the 1st gen T-amp is that you want speakers that push 90 dB 1 watt/1 meter/8ohms, and most of the Klipsches that I've heard meet that standard with room to spare.

I'm in the same boat that you are in with the KG4; my speakers are PSB Stratus Minis, and they are rated at 86dB; the T-amp does really well at low volume, but can't keep up when I crank the volume or play music with wide dynamic range. I'm really hoping that the additional fire-power offered by this pending amp will give me the sound that I currently get at modest volume, without collapsing when I crank it up.

The other attraction, of course, is that the price is very modest. The other 50-watt T-amp that comes to mind is this one, from KingRex. At $799, without a preamp, this is way out of my price range. I'm hoping that the Dayton Audio will give me a taste of the same performance, for $700 less. Hope springs eternal.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 12
I'm curious how that headphone jack is hooked up. I love my panny digital reciever (for my speakers), but the headphone out is just some crappy op amp that sounds like crap. I hope this is not the same deal. I would love to hear a digital amp actually driving some headphones.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious how that headphone jack is hooked up. I love my panny digital reciever (for my speakers), but the headphone out is just some crappy op amp that sounds like crap. I hope this is not the same deal. I would love to hear a digital amp actually driving some headphones.

There are a number of threads on Head-fi about the configuration of receiver/integrated-amp headphone jacks. The consensus seems to be that most don't, in fact, use an op-amp for the headphone jack. Instead, the signal from the main amp's output stage is fed through a resistor to create a signal appropriate for driving phones. You can read the most recent of these threads here.

It will be impossible to tell how the Dayton does as a headphone amp until one of us gets his or her hot little hands on one and reports back. But it is encouraging that the company is touting the product as a headphone amp:

The DTA-100 also doubles as a high fidelity headphone amplifier that will drive any headphone easily and delivers colossal sound stage and effortless dynamic range. The 1/4" stereo jack allows connection of larger home and studio style headphones. An adapter is also provided so smaller 3.5 mm personnel style headphones can be used.

Who knows if it will deliver on those promises, but, again, it's encouraging that Dayton is positioning the amp as high-quality headphone amp.

We shall see.

May 25, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #11 of 12
Wow that is a pretty nice amp from Dayton.  Total Chinese knockoff, but nice to see it at that price from a place you can get it from in the states.

I am considering this Muse DAC AMP with headphone jack built in for my at work setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MUSE-M30-USB-CLASS-D-Headphone-Amplifier-PCM2707-2x50w-/320524271744?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa0bc4080

I haven't found much info about it on here yet, thinking I might just take the plunge and see how it is.  I like the fact that it will power my headphones as well as the small M&K speakers I use for my PC.  The DAC PCM2707 chip looks like it has decent specs but I am sure it is far from fantastic.  It also appears if you are in a DIY mood that you could un-solder the opamp and solder on a socket so that you could easily roll different opamps into place.

This other unit from muse also looks interesting for those that do not need to power speakers: http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-DAC-Headphone-Amplifier-PCM2707-DIR9001-PCM1793-/320524278572?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa0bc5b2c

May 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #12 of 12
Since this thread is back up.  I did a search a couple of months ago to find out more about the headphone out on the amp.  I does just use a Opamp and does not use the t-amp.  I'm too lazy to look it up now but i think i saw the internals on some DIY audio board.

Thats not to say it would not be a good HP amp, it's just nothing unique about it.  Driving speakers with the T-amp though would be pretty nice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back