New David Gilmour album: On an island
Mar 11, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Agreed....I'm just commenting that it's his best work since Wish You Were Here. The guitar work is excellent, and I think it surpasses anything he's done with Pink Floyd since Roger Waters left the band. That doesn't mean that I like it because it sounds more like Pink Floyd than his other work.

I hear you. I was referring to some of the earlier posts.
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:57 PM Post #17 of 31
I picked this up yesterday from best buy so I got the extra "Island Jam" song. I am listening to the main cd right now and I can say that I am really enjoying it. I heard Island Jam and thought it was absolutely amazing.

I agree with earlier posts that this is way above his last two solo efforts and does sound more like Pink Floyd than his other stuff too.

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:53 AM Post #20 of 31
If you are in the UK and have Freeview TV, they have been showing a few tracks of this concert (i believe that's this one anyway, as it is labelled a Radio 2 programme) repeated all morning (Shine on you crazy diamond, Comfortably numb, On an Island).

That's on channel 301.

I caught it 3 hours ago...and it is still being shown.

Papy

Mar 12, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by papy
If you are in the UK and have Freeview TV, they have been showing a few tracks of this concert (i believe that's this one anyway, as it is labelled a Radio 2 programme) repeated all morning (Shine on you crazy diamond, Comfortably numb, On an Island).

That's on channel 301.

I caught it 3 hours ago...and it is still being shown.

Papy

Yes, pretty damned good with Rick Wright singing on Comfortably Numb and that "totally" different version of shine on you crazy diamond was just superb!

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Yes, pretty damned good with Rick Wright singing on Comfortably Numb and that "totally" different version of shine on you crazy diamond was just superb!

Absolutely. Brought it back to life imo. The opening section to Wish You Were Here was spine tingling.

I preferred the Floyd stuff to the start of the show, but that may be me not liking something new. Did you find the vocals recessed on the radio? I was listening on DT770 - THUMPING bass but recessed vocal. I recorded it onto mp3 so I'll have another listen with 880's. (I've heard the bass, now I may as well hear the details up top!!)
tongue.gif

Ian

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #23 of 31
Mar 15, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #24 of 31
About the new David Gilmour album, is there any other edition other besdies this stupid digiapk that damages all the CD inside, mine came all scratched...

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:27 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
About the new David Gilmour album, is there any other edition other besdies this stupid digiapk that damages all the CD inside, mine came all scratched...

iTunes?
evil_smiley.gif
(ducks....)

Actually that's how I just bought it tonight
k1000smile.gif

The second song is to die for with those vocals (check out who else is singing on it - David Crosby, Graham Nash).

Not entirely sure about the rest of it, enjoyed my first two listens, feels like it could grow on me, but seems a bit ...sedated...

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #26 of 31
I forgot to mention that I applaud the mix - they resisted the temptation to overcompress everything, and the mix breathes really well, and gives the album a distinctive sound instead of the blandness all too many albums have of late.

Mar 15, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #27 of 31
Have heard this album repeatedly, and they killed it on the vault the days of its release on srius...what was good about that is that they played PF songs the whole day (classics mostly) and then tossed in a new DG song every other 6 songs...great except that every other 6th song was just ok, like the album.
IMHO there is no synergy or magic on the album, not to mention it goes no where, like most of the DG solos on the album. Album is especially lacking the bite that Waters' guitar always complimented to DG's sound...without there is an even bigger lack of cohesion, and remains themeless. After decades of awesome audio achievements, it is difficult as the trained PF fan to settle or be stoked on this new form of sound.
Save your clams, or go pick up Meddle MFSL or Wall MFSL on LP, listen with the lights off, and the cans up, and there you will have Floydeus Pinkis

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Agreed....I'm just commenting that it's his best work since Wish You Were Here. The guitar work is excellent, and I think it surpasses anything he's done with Pink Floyd since Roger Waters left the band. That doesn't mean that I like it because it sounds more like Pink Floyd than his other work.

Seconded.

JC

May 7, 2006 at 2:13 AM Post #29 of 31
Just wanted to compliment the original post in the fact the amused to death was an amazing album (doesn't have the PF sound but the RW style of thinking behind it is very much still there) the first track 'the ballad of bill hubbard' has some good guitar work in it (simple but very good) with some guy pouring his heart out about the horrors of ww2, then the next track starts with some very naive girl on the subject of war. That alone is classic Roger water, those little things in the music that make you think is what PF were all about IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back