New DAP under 100$
Feb 9, 2016 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

devluxe

Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new DAP to use on the go. I have used a sansa clip zip with the included earphones and an iPhone 4 paired with plantronics backbeat go 2,

what I like about the iPhone 4:

- Touchscreen to navigate through my collection
- Great battery 

what I don't like about the iPhone 4:

- Volume via bluetooth is quite low
- Sounds way too harsh and lacks in bass
- iTunes sync

what I like about the Clip Zip:

- Support for many file types right out of the box
- Compact size
- High volume and options 
- It is seen as an external pendrive from my computer

what I don't like about the Clip Zip:

- Hard to navigate through my songs with such a small screen 
- Low battery life

I mainly listen to music on my way to school, I saw FiiO X1 and Xduoo X3 may be good options, I don't have a huge music collection (about 450 320k MP3s) but I'd like to be able to navigate through it easily. FiiO X1 seems to be the best option even if I like the fact that Xduoo X3 has two separate outputs and looks more ergonomic. The interface however makes a bit hard to navigate through my songs. I'm looking for a step up in sound quality.

I'm open to other suggestions, thanks headfiers :)

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 11
  Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new DAP to use on the go. I have used a sansa clip zip with the included earphones and an iPhone 4 paired with plantronics backbeat go 2,

- Great battery 

- iTunes sync

- Compact size

- Low battery life

I mainly listen to music on my way to school, I saw FiiO X1 and Xduoo X3 may be good options, I don't have a huge music collection (about 450 320k MP3s) but I'd like to be able to navigate through it easily. FiiO X1 seems to be the best option even if I like the fact that Xduoo X3 has two separate outputs and looks more ergonomic. The interface however makes a bit hard to navigate through my songs. I'm looking for a step up in sound quality.

You have a couple options in the price range, although I think you could upgrade player and headphones within your budget.  I listened to the Fiio x1 and the Xudoo X3 side by side and like both of them for the price.  Also have heard good things about the Fiio M3, which would allow some new headphones (check out the M3 thread).

After that, you start making compromises.  For instance, I still love my Colorfly C3 for the sound, but the user interface is always a compromise.

Feb 10, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 11
For the price, the Fiio X3ii is VERY hard to beat.. However.. You wantedBluetooth.. The DAPs you mentioned don't offer Bluetooth, especially at that price that will sound good. If you bought the X1, spend $40 on the RHA MA-600's or $60 for a pair of JVC FXT100's from Amazon.. You'll have the power and sound at a very affordable price, only issue is you wanted to spend less than $100, and asked about Blietooth..
Guess there is always the Fiio M3, and a pair of Xioami Postons 2.1 for $20 or even the KZ ED9 ($13 on Amazon) that should keep you under $100 and give you enough options to play whatever quality music, and super pocketable. But no Bluetooth, sorry..

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm open to other suggestions, thanks headfiers

Consider a small amp, it will certainly improve the sound on an already good souding DAP. Also consider creating folders for your music, it will enable faster browsing. Oh yes look into Rockboxing your sansa.

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #6 of 11
Fiio have a good amp suitable for the clip
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-E06-E6-Fujiyama-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-/261885396582?hash=item3cf9960666:g:-~AAAOSwLVZVpiOQ

Or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-E06-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-/272119857105?hash=item3f5b9b7fd1:g:C8QAAOSwFMZWrMMX

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 11
  I'm open to other suggestions, thanks headfiers

Consider a small amp, it will certainly improve the sound on an already good souding DAP. Also consider creating folders for your music, it will enable faster browsing. Oh yes look into Rockboxing your sansa.

I think you're right, my sansa doesn't sound bad at all but I'm looking for a step up. I already have rockbox on it, regarding SQ I saw that the Fiio amp you suggested me is quite good. I guess no other dap under 100$ would have a better interface and SQ can be improved by using an additional amp from what you say. Thanks for your advice :wink:

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 11
For the price, the Fiio X3ii is VERY hard to beat.. However.. You wantedBluetooth.. The DAPs you mentioned don't offer Bluetooth, especially at that price that will sound good. If you bought the X1, spend $40 on the RHA MA-600's or $60 for a pair of JVC FXT100's from Amazon.. You'll have the power and sound at a very affordable price, only issue is you wanted to spend less than $100, and asked about Blietooth..
Guess there is always the Fiio M3, and a pair of Xioami Postons 2.1 for $20 or even the KZ ED9 ($13 on Amazon) that should keep you under $100 and give you enough options to play whatever quality music, and super pocketable. But no Bluetooth, sorry..

Bluetooth is actually no priority, it's just better when walking on my way to school because I have no wires annoying me when I'm skipping tracks from iPhone since I have to take it out from my pocket. I guess I'll stick to my clip zip

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 11
  You have a couple options in the price range, although I think you could upgrade player and headphones within your budget.  I listened to the Fiio x1 and the Xudoo X3 side by side and like both of them for the price.  Also have heard good things about the Fiio M3, which would allow some new headphones (check out the M3 thread).

After that, you start making compromises.  For instance, I still love my Colorfly C3 for the sound, but the user interface is always a compromise.

M3 is a nice option, however as VGoghs earfrmsc says an amp would be a better choice and I reflected about the interface on the clip zip, it's not that bad after all, I don't think I can find a better interface in this price range. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 11

- Great battery 

- iTunes sync

- Compact size

- Low battery life

I have the Sandisk Clip Zip(Rockboxed), Clip+(Rockboxed), Clip Sport, Fiio X1, and Fiio M3. If you think theClip Zip has short battery life, the battery life of the Fiio X1 is only around 10 hours. The Fiio X1 is also quite heavy at around 3.7 ounces, and also quite bulky. My Fiio X1 stays home. Imo the Fiio M3 seems like the best choice for you. It has a higher power output than the Clip Zip, but not as much as the Fiio X1. The Fiio M3 has 24 hours of battery life,  is only 1.4 ounces, and quite compact. The firmware on the M3 though still hasn't been perfected, as the player was released only around two months ago. There have been some firmware updates since then, and the M3 firmware is improving over time. The Clip Zip is slightly under one ounce. The Fiio M3 lacks FM radio though. If you want a cheap player with around 24 hours of battery life and FM radio, there is the Sandisk Clip Sport.
The Clip Sport is limited in functionally when compared to the Clip Zip.

Read my review of the Fiio M3.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-m3-digital-portable-music-player/reviews/14785

Users who are viewing this thread

Back