New DAP to replace a broken D2 around 150$...
Mar 17, 2010 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Icewyng

New Head-Fier
Hi everyoone,

I have dropped my Cowon D2 down a set of stairs (Yea, I am a bit clumsy at times) and the case broke. the D2 plays fine but it is not practical for me to walk around with a busted DAP.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, I need to buy a replacement that would cost around 150$.

I listen to 320k MP3 files or FLAC too.
I want at least 8Gb of memory
I listen to Prog rock/metal most of the time
I like the sound of my D2 and would like something close to that.

I did some research and I was thinking the S:flo2 or the Cowon I9 (even though it does not have a microsdhc slot) would be good replacements. Do you have any suggestions?

Oh... and it will be paired with Maximo iM-590 earphones or my K81DJs.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 16
Or find a Sony S639 on Amazon or ebay - really worth it for a (IMO) SQ upgrade.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezzieyguywuf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not buy another D2? :p

The lack of gapless playback and something about the touchscreen I just don't like.
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus, you always need to start the file back every time and remember where it was before (very annoying for podcasts).

Mar 17, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 16
Definitely look into the s:flo2. I have it hooked up to an RSA Tomahawk and love the sound I'm getting; but unamped it blew my iPod Nano 5G iBasso T4 combo out of the water.

The sound quality is phenomenal, but the UI might give you some gripe; it's not that bad but it's not the best.

The battery life is around 8 hours though if you do the necessary precautions to keep the usage down on the player. Just PM me if you want some more information about it, I'm happy to help
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 16
The S9 is a worthy upgrade to the D2 - similar sound, tactile buttons, great battery life and it does gapless (for FLAC and OV, at least).

Caveat is price -- around US $260 for the 32GB. And no SD slot.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lack of gapless playback and something about the touchscreen I just don't like.
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus, you always need to start the file back every time and remember where it was before (very annoying for podcasts).

Dude you gotta rockbox it. Adds gapless and bookmarks. Plus many other awesome features.

<edit> for example, the touch screen is mapped as a 3x3 grid that is used for navigating. It's supposed to be "temporary", and they're working on a "exact point" (or something like that) mode, but I personally prefer the joystick-esque behaviour of the 3x3 grid.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 16
I remember reading somewhere that the internal memory for rockbox D2 was read only. That was however a while ago..has that changed since?

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 16
Internal memory is still read-only, but they do have read/write to the sdcard, so the D2 is fully functional with an sd card with Rockbox. I use it as my day-to-day DAP with rockbox.

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 16
Samsung P3, Zen X-Fi, Fuze and Archos...........

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Samsung P3, Zen X-Fi, Fuze and Archos...........

Stay away from the HDD versions made for video and whatnot; the Archos 7/5. The SQ sucks on them :/

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 16
Had: D2, S9, Touch 2G, S639
Have: Samsung P3, its sq is great, I think it holds its own compared to the S9 (maybe ever, ever so slightly deficient in the bass department, but that is only for the very picky ones), but also at the price-performance ratio - about 150 USD for the 32 GB model - cannot be beaten. Plus it has AAC support, so you could still benefit from Itunes goodness, purchases that is.
I like mine very much.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ramintop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wth is with all the d2 freezing? mine was working fine for like 2 years and then it started freezing, now its hopelessly bricked and it wont open.
frown.gif

You can probably find some help in the forums here -> Cowon D2/D2+ - iAudiophile.net Forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back