New DAP needed
Aug 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

johnnyb0y99

New Head-Fier
I need a new DAP because my 5 year old ipod is running out of room. Looking for a good player that is around $200 but my maximum is $250. I should also mention that I have $215 Best Buy store credit. I want to spend that but if it is completely necessary I will spend my cash. However I will not use my cash unless the player is out of this world. Im looking at the ipod classic but I heard that the sound quality is atrocious. I was also looking at the Fiio X3 but was wondering if it is worth the money. Thanks in advance for the help.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 21
A low cost portable audio setup.

Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB, $32-$45
Get the Rockbox firmware for it.
Get a 32GB Micro-SD memory card ($20) for the Clip Zip.

Now use the rest of the cash for nice headphones.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 21
Welp You see i dont want to look ridiculous with my ath m50s plugged into a measly mp3 player. not that im trying to diss it. Is that the only option that's good? Also im trying to ween myself off of buying headphones for a while 
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:
Welp You see I don't want to look ridiculous with my ath m50s plugged into a measly mp3 player. not that I'm trying to diss it. Is that the only option that's good? Also I'm trying to ween myself off of buying headphones for a while 
biggrin.gif

It's a good value option, I'm just not knowledge that much about $100-$200 DAPs.
Someone else might know what is good in the $100-$200 range.

Try asking here about DAPs.
http://anythingbutipod.com/

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 21
Aug 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 21
+1 for classic, had my 160gb for 2 years now, good SQ too

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm tired of all this top-tier audiophile stuff. Also thinking just to return to new iPod Classic with Etymotic ER4P and to live free =)

iPod Classic is a very good DAP.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
I need a new DAP because my 5 year old ipod is running out of room. Looking for a good player that is around $200 but my maximum is $250. I should also mention that I have $215 Best Buy store credit. I want to spend that but if it is completely necessary I will spend my cash. However I will not use my cash unless the player is out of this world. Im looking at the ipod classic but I heard that the sound quality is atrocious. I was also looking at the Fiio X3 but was wondering if it is worth the money. Thanks in advance for the help.

I've got a Classic, a 5th Gen Touch and I just got the X3.  If sound quality is most important, the X3 wins in a land slide.  All three have their pluses and minuses but for $200 the X3 is TOUGH to beat.  Tack on a 25 (32gb) or 50 (64gb) SD card and you're golden.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 21
For 200 you can also take a look on HiFiman 601, Colorfly CK4 and C3, some Cowon players.
My vote for Classic. When i'll put all pluses and minuses, iClassic will win.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #13 of 21
The ipod Classic uses a hard drive though. I hate the idea of a player with a hard drive since hard drives are fragile and too easy to damage if the player is dropped while playing. The Clip Zip is a great low cost option if you don't need more than 14 hours of battery life, and are using efficient headphones below around 60 ohms.

Aug 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
The ipod Classic uses a hard drive though. I hate the idea of a player with a hard drive since hard drives are fragile and too easy to damage if the player is dropped while playing. The Clip Zip is a great low cost option if you don't need more than 14 hours of battery life, and are using efficient headphones below around 60 ohms.

My hard drive iPod is seven years old and still works flawlessly.

Aug 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
My hard drive iPod is seven years old and still works flawlessly.

Perhaps it might be because when you are very active you use your Clip players. How many times have you dropped your ipod that has a hard drive?

Some people plan to have only one player, and to use it when they are very active.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back