New DAP- Ipod Touch 3g vs Zune HD
Dec 2, 2009 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

the_dong146

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, first of all I'm sure some of you are wondering why I'm bringing up this topic, well I promise I've used the search function and would just like some more specific input.

Looking to choose between these two players as they best combine the function I am looking for, a browser/wi-fi equipped, portable DAP. As I will be on a college campus with 24/7 access to wi-fi - this is pretty huge.

I was wondering is if, now that there's been more time to gain input etc. on these players, more thoughts on their SQ. Clearly, since I'm on this forum, it's important and the only thing really holding be back from making the iPod leap. I have read so many conflicting reports on the Touch 3g, but the clearest consensus I have obtained is that is unremarkable, with the somewhat muddy bass typical to iPods and a lesser soundstage, and extremely neutral. Furthermore, there is not that much on the Zune HD. I currently have the Zune 80 and have been completely satisfied with it, though clearly it's aged since the newest batch of players. Given the neutrality of the Touch and my use of UM3Xs (direct) only for portable listening (a very neutral phone itself, but one which I love), should I be concerned? Any additional comments are much appreciated.

Currently after a side-by-side comparison (audio comparison was not valid as the ipod blatantly had higher bit rate tracks on it) - I am leaning towards the touch. Brighter screen, browser, and of course those apps. Additionally I already recognize that portable listening comes with compromises (will never match even my DAC, and environment is not exactly always ideal), so any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 18
Not sure if you are going to get a straight answer here, but good try. They are both nice players which have good sound quality, but as to which is best... Do you use windows or Mac, or Linux, Haiku? Do you have lots of ALAC, WMA songs? Think about what you need after knowing your song collection.

The differences between them in sound is smaller than anything else. I haven't heard the latest 32GB 3rd gen, but gauging on the fact that many report the 2G to be bested by the 3G, then I would say that if you are a fan of detailed, flat sound, it should be great for your. iPods have never been about warmth other than the 5G (to a certain extent) and the iPod shuffle 1G, but I am sure it will be great. Also, if the 3G follows the 2G trend, there is NO bass roll off unless you use balanced armature headphones, but those headphones will drag even nice home amps in the mud.

Dec 2, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 18
As the previous poster mentioned SQ should be the least of your worries; they're both very good players, although I give the Zune HD (I have both the 16 Gig and 32 Gig versions) a slight edge. The Web browser on the Touch is somewhat more powerful (I do have an iPhone, the 16 Gig 3GS) but the display on the Zune HD won it for me. I don't think I can ever go back to a normal screen. The quality of the colors has to be seen to be believed. In metropolitan Houston the HD radio is a big plus as well. I also use it to rent movies via Zune Marketplace but am now also able to download it to the Zune HD for playback on my flat panel Samsung TV in 720p mode with the optional dock and an HDMI cable.

I do like the Zune HD software; it's more intuitive, and it looks like something Apple should have written in the first place (!), since iTunes (to me at least) is getting klunkier by the day. Zune Pass hasn't really piqued my interest, though. The only downside is limited apps, compared to the Touch, so if you're into downloading applications and games the Touch can't be beaten. That said the 9 or so freeware games available for download from the Zune marketplace show a lot of future potential and takes full advantage of the NVidia Tegra chip. As a corporate behemoth Microsoft moves very slowly but I'd give them a couple more years before they start eating slowly into the portable MP3 market. They do have the economic might for it, assuming they remain committed to the platform (and that's a big if).

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 18
iPod touch:

Pros :
Plenty of LOD/Amps available
A billion apps
Jailbreaking
Better browser

Cons :
Apple (? this is a big problem for some people...)
iTunes
standard HP-out SQ is average

Zune HD :

Pros :
Tegra
Good SQ
OLED screen
HD output
Nicer interface (IMO)

Cons :
NO LOD!
No apps, or very little as of yet
Cruddy browser
Small screen

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 18
I know people don't think of apple as able to to make quality sound, but i love how every other player is advertised for SQ, but not apple when the truth is that the Apple have as good or better HPO quality.

However, all the other pros and cons I would wager as correct (other than the anti apple stuff which is groundless when comparing with Microsfot; each are domineering giants in their respective fields).

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 18
If the browser is really important, I would definitely lean toward the Touch. There's nothing on the market right now that is as fast and reliable as Safari on the Touch. I've played extensively with both the Touch and the Zune HD and the Touch is far more robust.

I say touch b/c you could get a LOD and amp if you don't care for the SQ. I'm sure it'll be fine.

-Nylan

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean safari for the touch? I don't think Opera will get into the iDevice without jailbreaking.

Yes, sorry, I meant Safari. I'm not an apple user so I get terms mixed up every so often.

Fixed now, thanks.

-Nylan

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 18
Well i am sorry to say that i will have to agree with most of the posts above. But if the browser is a big point of sale for you then i would say go with the touch. As the browser is better than the zunes. As far as SQ i have always liked the sound of Zune Daps better than ipods.

If you like the sound of your Zune 80 then the zune hd sounds almost exactly the same except it has an EQ(which i dont use) and the volume has more steps. So as a zune fanboy what i would say is that if you are happy with your zune experience and want to take it to the next level then definitely get the zune hd. But if you are looking for a dap with a great browser and lots of apps then get the ipod touch.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks everyone, guess I really am leaning towards the Touch now - someone care to clarify how the LOD works for me?

If I were to use this: SendStation iPod Pocket Dock Line-Out Mini-USB | HeadRoom Audio - it would be a simple plug in and directly use the 3.5mm for my headphones correct?

Although after doing osme more reading - would I lose the ability to adjust volume unless I bought an inline control (this is big...)

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #14 of 18
That system requires an amp, as far as I know. If you want to start with separate amping immediately I would suggest the FiiO E1, as it combines LOD and Amp.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 18
I do have an E5 kicking around - but the E1 is definitely an interesting thought. Can't say my E5 gets much in the way in the way of use as it's just awkward... Anyone have first hand experience w/ the E1- there does not seem to be too much out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back