New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #811 of 1,148
https://open.qobuz.com/album/s5f0qu85uvzcc :)
(Fracture - The Steven Wilson Mix in Hi-Res)

The link I posting before is from the same mix by S. Wilson, and is a link from the official YouTube channel of the band so the sound is very decent still. :)

@WDitters, I'm sorry but I'm wrong in my previous post. The first link I posting before is actually the 1997 first release mix of the 1973 concert. Here is the YouTube version of the Steven Wilson mix from 2014 that you posting (all my original comments previously are referring about the S. Wilson mix):

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #812 of 1,148
I just tried these headphones at my local store, but only with the iPhone via Bluetooth, and I felt the bass was a little bloated and uncontrolled, even in hi-fi mode (the bass mode for me is unusable). Does it get better with a cable?

Mar 13, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #813 of 1,148
I just tried these headphones at my local store, but only with the iPhone via Bluetooth, and I felt the bass was a little bloated and uncontrolled, even in hi-fi mode (the bass mode for me is unusable). Does it get better with a cable?

Do you trying "hI-fi" and "bass" modes with ANC Off? This is making a difference because ANC On is adding little more bass to both modes (people here, like me, usually preferring ANC Off and "hi-fi" mode for best sound in BT and USB-C modes)

In fully passive mode (with 3.5mm cable and headphone completely off) you have less bass, so maybe this will being your preference in sound.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #814 of 1,148
The link I posting before is from the same mix by S. Wilson, and is a link from the official YouTube channel of the band so the sound is very decent still. :)
The advantage of a YouTube link is that just about anyone can open it, but sound from YouTube is still generally of crappy quality in my experience. :'(

Well, perhaps this link is better, don't know yet. :wink:

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #815 of 1,148
Do you trying "hI-fi" and "bass" modes with ANC Off? This is making a difference because ANC On is adding little more bass to both modes (people here, like me, usually preferring ANC Off and "hi-fi" mode for best sound in BT and USB-C modes)

In fully passive mode (with 3.5mm cable and headphone completely off) you have less bass, so maybe this will being your preference in sound.
Thanks, I’ll try with the 3.5mm cable.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #818 of 1,148
Did anyone tried the Bathys and Dali IO 12?
What about the soundstage between the two?
Thank you
I've had (and returned) both. I greatly preferred the IO-12 in all aspects. Sound stage, clarity, comfort. If not for a few things I would have kept it. I ended up with the Solitaire T, but I think I preferred the sound of the IO-12 slightly.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #819 of 1,148
Alright, gave 'em a small round of Teams meetings. Here's my observations:
  • People on the other side say they can follow me, but my voice is a bit--I quote--"cloudy".
  • True, NO volume control as previously outlined in this thread. And that fixed volume is noticeably higher that I prefer.
  • While it's possible to switch Quiet/Aware/Off modes during the call, sidetone is always enabled, i.e. Quiet is rather a weird mix of ANC and transparency. I don't get the idea at all.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #820 of 1,148
Thank you so much for your reply
So, the soundstage is larger on Dali? What about the sound quality, generally speaking!
I listen almost everything, except hip hop, techno, house.....
What do you like more on Solitaire vs Dali?
I've had them but didn't like soundstage.
I've had (and returned) both. I greatly preferred the IO-12 in all aspects. Sound stage, clarity, comfort. If not for a few things I would have kept it. I ended up with the Solitaire T, but I think I preferred the sound of the IO-12 slightly.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #821 of 1,148
So, the soundstage is larger on Dali? What about the sound quality, generally speaking!
The Dali definitely has a wider soundstage and better sound than the Bathys.

Mar 13, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #823 of 1,148
For the Solitaire, the size worked better for me. The ear pads of the Dali also made me hear my heartbeat very loud, which was distracting. There are Bluetooth calling issues with the Dali as well, see the thread (mic is bad, volume is fixed, etc.)

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #824 of 1,148
Thank you
What do you mean " volume is fixed " ?
Does it sound as loud as Bathys, let's say both at 75 % volume? I mean, music not for calling.
I don't really care about calling ( headphones, generally speaking)
I didn't like the Solitaire because of the narrow soundstage and low volume at 80 - 90 %
Way to low, imo.
Do you like the Solitaire soundstage? Compared to Bathys, for example.
Again, thank you for your reply

Mar 13, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #825 of 1,148
Thank you
What do you mean " volume is fixed " ?
Does it sound as loud as Bathys, let's say both at 75 % volume? I mean, music not for calling.
I don't really care about calling ( headphones, generally speaking)
I didn't like the Solitaire because of the narrow soundstage and low volume at 80 - 90 %
Way to low, imo.
Do you like the Solitaire soundstage? Compared to Bathys, for example.
Again, thank you for your reply
Fixed, as in, cannot be adjusted. It was too loud for calls for me (someone else mentions the same a couple pages back). They may fix this in firmware.

The Solitaire sound stage is fine for me, but I preferred the Dali. I didn’t keep the Bathys for long, and I didn’t have them at the same time as the Solitaire, so I can’t compare those well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back