New DAC Search Help
Jul 29, 2007 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DaNuS

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking to get a new DAC for my headphone setup. My setup will consist of the following:

Squeezebox 3
Sennheiser 650s (Cardas Cable)
WooAudio WA6

I am looking for a solid DAC that should mesh well with this system. I like detail but I don't need every ounce. I prefer a warmer sound in my system and strong bass. I'm looking to spend around 600-900 or so. I've been strongly considering the Stello DA100 but want to see if there are others that can chime in with experiences with this or other DACs in similar systems. Thanks in advance for your input!
eggosmile.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #2 of 3
For you I think the Stello would be an excellent choice, here is a nice review of the DA100 with comparison to the Musiland MD-10.

A very good read is granodemostasa's "Great Dac Search" thread, it really gives a good comparison of many dacs, note that he is very picky about a detailed DAC, whereas you are not so much.

Another good comparison is IronDreamer's DAC roundup

At that price point the only other one I would consider is the Lavry DA10 in case you decide to go balanced later on. The Stello DA220 has balanced output, but is above your pricepoint and according to Iron Dreamer the SE output of the DA100/DA220 is the same.

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi Danus,

We have almost indentical setups, other than the choice of headphones (mine are 580s). The Bel Canto 2 can be had at your price range used and it has a warm sound signature and is quite musical but my vote would go for the Lavry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back