New DAC for HybridPowerAMP
Nov 30, 2017 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

grig

100+ Head-Fier
mates i need a good piece of advice here, i found an fostex hp-a3 for $150USD used i was wondering if i shoul buy this or better an smsl Snskrit 6TH or even beeter an smsl m8a. I mostly need a dac to stack with my elemental watson amp as well i have the o2. The best dac that i own at the moment is the oppo ha-2-se, my cans are hd600 and ATH m40x, suggestions ??

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 17
mates i need a good piece of advice here, i found an fostex hp-a3 for $150USD used i was wondering if i shoul buy this or better an smsl Snskrit 6TH or even beeter an smsl m8a. I mostly need a dac to stack with my elemental watson amp as well i have the o2. The best dac that i own at the moment is the oppo ha-2-se, my cans are hd600 and ATH m40x, suggestions ??
I've only heard things about the Sanskrit, and they were good things. Zeos does a review of that dac and amp combo so perhaps check him out on YouTube - Zreviews. He might also have reviewed the others you mentioned

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 17
I've only heard things about the Sanskrit, and they were good things. Zeos does a review of that dac and amp combo so perhaps check him out on YouTube - Zreviews. He might also have reviewed the others you mentioned
i saw his reviews but i wish to have different opinions too not like Zeos is the God of the audio products in general....

Dec 1, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 17
If you just need a simple DAC only, you cannot go wrong with the Topping D30 or JDS Labs OL DAC.
This is true but i wish to buy a dac that has the same quality of my oppo ha 2 se, if can be even better sounding without break the wallet that will be great ! Never heard any of those so i have no idea how they can perform comparing to my HA2

Dec 1, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #6 of 17
This is true but i wish to buy a dac that has the same quality of my oppo ha 2 se, if can be even better sounding without break the wallet that will be great ! Never heard any of those so i have no idea how they can perform comparing to my HA2

OL DAC would be my choice, I have had the HA-2 regaular and the OL DAC is ever so slightly smoother but just as detailed. It doesn't have as sharp edges to notes.

The D30 is more analytical with a sharper edge to the sound like the HA-2.

You can get the OL DAC with DIP switches installed on the PCB so you can change the digital filter and tune the sound somewhat

Dec 1, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 17
OL DAC would be my choice, I have had the HA-2 regaular and the OL DAC is ever so slightly smoother but just as detailed. It doesn't have as sharp edges to notes.

The D30 is more analytical with a sharper edge to the sound like the HA-2.

You can get the OL DAC with DIP switches installed on the PCB so you can change the digital filter and tune the sound somewhat

Buy the OL DAC is not easy and cost me exactly double the amount compared to what cost on JDSlabs website..... The D30 is easier to find.... on ebay for example but then it's a debate with the smsl Sanskritt or the m8a especially because eventually is easy to find and pair with a linear psu, but non the less you're feedback was very good i apprecitae that now you gave me an idea on how those two sounds

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 17
yggy-main-1920.jpg

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 17
@Renato Fury you're not adding anything to this 3d except trolling

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #11 of 17
As well as trolling, you asked for a recommendation from dac without a budget, so I recommended this one. :ksc75smile:
no hold on, reading the first post is clear the budget which is far from $2000 pretty much for that dac. Posting "Shiit" pictures is no more no less than advertising....

Dec 2, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #12 of 17
Publicity ? I do not have any kind of connection with Schiit Audio, but what difference does it make to send a photo or write a comment, not to mention that I do not know what your financial condition is, but that's fine since you can not afford 2000 dollars that this option below:
Modi-Multibit-front.jpg

Schiit Modi Multibit, I believe you are now in your budget. :jecklinsmile:

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 17
Speaking of the JDS Labs OL DAC, it's the best DAC I've owned under $200.

On the other hand, DACs in that price range don't differ all that much in my experience. Heck, even high-end DACs make only subtle improvements compared to the large improvement you can get from better transducers (headphones and speakers). I went from a four figure DAC to a $30 DAC and am not missing much, honestly.

If you want to make sure you get a DAC that is as good or better than the OPPO, I'd start out with a cheap DAC (like the Behringer UCA202 audio interface I use at the moment) and save up for something a bit pricier. The Schiit Modi Multibit would actually be my recommendation for that.

Dec 3, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 17
well, thanks guys i took my chance buying a brand new Fostex hp-a3 and looking forward to get my hands on it. In the mean time i will save some money for the Fostex hp-a4bl which looks to me as a game over. Don't look to go over that price for a dac for amplifiers and headphone... ? well here the story may be a bit different :))

p.s. i tried several times some Schiit gear and if i have to be honest never liked them, therefore i understood no schit for me :)))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back