New Crystal Method Tweekend is big fun
Aug 13, 2001 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gordie

100+ Head-Fier
I just picked up the new Crystal method (Tweekend) and have really been digging it. It is a big techno hard hitting CD that likes to be played loud.

For those familiar with their previous CD, this one seems to start where that left off and add a lot more in terms of different sounds.

There is a lot of swearing on it, even though there are hardly any lyrics.

For anyone who liked the previous CD, or stuff like FSOL, I highly recommend it.

I've been listening to it through RS-1s and the Grado amp and it is a great combo, the bass is just superb (both on the CD and with the phones).

Aug 14, 2001 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 8
i thought it was a little disappointing.. i dont find that the big beats are very "dancable" even though i dislike dancing=) but i think the songs are more structured as rock songs (as having tom morello in it).. i dunno, i've only listened to it a couple of times, some songs are pretty bad, name of the game isn't that good i reckon, but some are ambient'ish which i like.. i need to listen to me more

Aug 15, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 8
I gave it a listen yesterday. It does sound like a fun party album, but that's what bothers me a little. It makes me feel old, even though I'm not because its so frivolous (too much so). I dunno, maybe I haven't paid enough attention to dance music, but it didn't blow me away or transport me to some fantastic place, as I feel an electronica cd should. Vegas kicked ass, but it too doesn't have a long shelf life for me either. Now I'm kind of worried because this is how I felt after listening to the new Daft Punk and Basement Jaxx albums. Its good for a party, but I wouldn't listen to it at home.

Cranky and old,

zoboo.

One more thing: the bass on this album is huge!!! Recommended listening for dum-basses.

Aug 20, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm disappointed with Tweekend. It just isn't that fun to listen to it for some reason. The music leaves something to be desired that I can 'groove' to.

On a side note lately I'm starting to really enjoy Pearl Jam's first album, Ten. But not on cans on speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2001 at 4:05 AM Post #5 of 8
Tweekend is getty up good! Its a little slower/darker than Vegas... but this is a good change of pace. Enjoy.

Aug 21, 2001 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 8
I enjoy Tweekend, but it's hard for me to accept that it is the same band that put out Vegas...

Vegas was _gripping_. As soon as that guy from the Dark Crystal starts talking, that's it. I have to listen to the whole disc. And afterwards, I'm a bit worn out.

With Tweekend, I feel like listening to a few songs at a time - and there are some good songs - but never the whole disc.

Just my $.02...

-jP

Aug 25, 2001 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 8
Vegas was nice to listen to at first... but after a few spins I think it's little more than juvenile, self-indulgent electronica. I can hardly stand it now. Big punch but no depth.

Perhaps the best way to describe the rapid rise (and subsequent burn out) of Vegas is that it suffers from "bad-ass-idas".

Sep 6, 2001 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 8
Through good gear, it isn't dum bass. In my car, or through a mini TV system the bass sounds crap, through a good system it is huge and tight. The bass is excellent - big and fat and clean.

All you naysayers check out cut 10, the drum stuff is subtle but very cool. I think this CD has legs, it grows on me more and more. I listen when I work, not just a party CD. Then again, different strokes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back