New Crossfades
Feb 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GreenGiant

New Head-Fier
Just got my new V-Moda Crossfade LP2's yesterday,
Been using them basically nonstop since I got them.

First impression: I forget they are there shortly after putting them on, deep rich bass, great range of sound, everything is balanced, needed to turn down the volume because they are significantly louder than my Sennheiser HD203's at the same volume setting.

I know I have to wait until they have been played on for 24 hours to allow for burn in, but already I am very impressed.

The punch is great, the rumble is amazing, the highs sound awesome, the mids get a little tinny here and there, but I think thats more what I was listening to than anything else.

I can't wait for them to burn in, and really start sounding great!

Definitely worth the $200.   
atsmile.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 11
I'm suprised people are finding them "balanced" sounding cuz it was nowhere near it for me.... 

Do you have any EQ, I'd like to see if it's just lack of experiences with headphones or if I got an unusually bad sample or something.

Well if you have access to any 10-band EQ which most people do if listening from the computer for example can you give settings like this a try:

With these settings it sounds pretty balanced to me. The mids doesn't have the dominating frequency around 3.5kHz which makes female vocals sound off and the highs aren't missing. Without EQ they'd be worth aprox $75 to me, with EQ maybe $125. I think these M-Audio Q40 completely blows them away and these costs only $115~$120 and doesn't need any EQing to sound great.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 11
I currently don't have any equalizer on them, I was listening to just stock music, some from youtube. some from pandora, and some MP3's, all of it was great, the only issue that I had was, like I said, some of the songs (specifically from youtube) were a bit tinny in the mids.

I have been using them all day at work with iheartradio (various types of stations) and everything sounds great, both loud and soft, as well as the whole range.

You may have just gotten a fluke pair, these are some of the best headphones I have ever heard, and the noise isolation is phenomenal.

I have used my friends pair of Bose noise cancelling around ear cans, and I think that these sound better, I have also had my hands on a set of Sony MDR-V6's for years, and again I find these to be a much better set.

Thanks for the recommends on the EQ, at this point im not sure if I will need to EQ anything with them, but I will fool around with them and let you know what I come up with

I have a physical 40-band digital EQ that I might pull out and fool around with a little to see if I can tweak anything more out of these, but again I'm not sure if I will really need to any time soon

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 11
Basicly I'm just interested if you find the EQing to improve them or not balance wise. :p Sure headphones may sound balanced until you've really heard headphones that are well balanced in the mids/highs which I don't find these to be.

I've kept EQing all my headphones though mind you as I'm a perfectionist and hear when there's dips/peaks in the frequency range but I thought these LP2s needs quited a lot of EQing for their asking price.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #5 of 11
I find them to be pretty much balanced as they are, maybe a tiny bit bass heavy, and little high on the mids if you were looking for a totally balanced sound.

The highs, and mids come through even with heavy bass in the background, nothing overpowers anything else, even with the heavy bass that they provide.

The things I've been listening to is mostly stuff Ive already heard and its honestly like ive never heard it before, there are vocals that I could hardly hear before that come through strong now, and bass deeper than I thought was there before.

From my experience so far these are some of the most balanced cans I've ever heard

I was listening to some classical music with a female vocalist and closing my eyes I would have sworn she was standing right in front of me, I know that Im gushing here, but I seriously think you got a fluke pair when you tried them out.

I will definitely try out a set of the Q40's if I can get a hold of a set at some point

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 11
Im going to try not to sound too rude, but I highly doubt he got a defective pair.  His ears are "trained" a bit better than yours.  

The LP line from V-moda is far from balanced.  I own a pair and love them for what they are, but its not balance whatsoever.  Both models are quite bass heavy, which I enjoy in the genres of music I listen to.  

"the mids being tinny" on youtube videos is due to the quality of the music itself.  Play some 320/lossless files and enjoy.  The LP line is generally looked down upon here, but I really do enjoy mine quite a bit (mainly for electronic music/hip-hop, most other genres dont sound too great honestly)

If you enjoy them, enjoy them!  
L3000.gif

I also suggest trying those EQ settings if you truly want a balanced sound, at least to find out what balanced sounds like

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #7 of 11
like you I don't mean to sound rude, but if by "trained" you mean biased then I can understand that, I have been working with audio setups for near a decade, I'm not inexperienced

As I said the bass is a little heavy, but through the full range nothing is TOO much, high and low volumes you can hear everything that has been recorded from lows to highs, that to me is a balanced sound.

I honestly think that everyone on here is just biased towards a few sets that everyone else says are the good ones, its the same with every forum, Ive been looking through scores of forums for near a month now, and each one has 5 to 6 models that the general consensus says are the better ones, on here crossfades are not on that list so in hopes of diversifying the recommended ones I wanted to give my experience with them.

The fact that I find them to have a balanced sound when you with your "trained" ears find them to be nowhere near balanced and feel the need to insult me about it, calling me inexperienced and saying that I should listen to you to hear a truly "balanced" sound, just leads me to believe that you are mostly arrogant pricks on here...

I was only sharing my experience, you would think that you would encourage discussion of different opinions and feelings on matters, but that is apparently not so

As RPGWiZaRD's signature states "Sound is a subjective matter. The best headphone is the one that sounds according to your own prefers"  everything sounds different to different people, I find these to be awesome headphones, and so may others, but they aren't one of your "Golden 10" or however many you dote upon here...

I wash my hands of this site, and all your arrogant biased opinions.... good day to you all

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 11
I was surprised how nice they sounded, for being a consumer-line headphone. They are not balanced at all, however, (in my opinion) but that's fine. Coloration can be *awesome*, especially when you're using your iPod or other portable source.

EDIT: Should have read the rest of the thread. Wow...
"Balanced" is not a synonym for "good", hell, a lot of people *hate* balanced cans. A lot of headphones with very high reputations have very colored signatures. Saying a headphone isn't balanced isn't an insult, it isn't saying anything bad about the headphones either. It's just like saying a car "isn't red". Does that mean the car is worse? No, but some people prefer red cars, while other people like other colors.
C'mon, we're all brothers here, no need to fight. :)

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Well I wasn't either looking for a bassneutral headphone why I got LP2 but the problem for me is the mids and highs not the bass, that's fairly fine to me, if the mids & highs are unevenly balanced as in not talking in relation to bass but how the mids and highs range looks like, if it's smooth or like a rollercoaster which I found LP2s to be for the price concidered. I will definitely hear when mids/highs are uneven while listening to music and it's hard to find any good things about having uneven mids/highs that have +3dB boost around one frequency but a -3dB dip at another location. If the whole range is -3dB at least it'll sound neutral, just recessed but when certain frequencies sticks out too much it bugs me as the vocals won't sound neutral/realistic for example.

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
like you I don't mean to sound rude, but if by "trained" you mean biased then I can understand that, I have been working with audio setups for near a decade, I'm not inexperienced

As I said the bass is a little heavy, but through the full range nothing is TOO much, high and low volumes you can hear everything that has been recorded from lows to highs, that to me is a balanced sound.

I honestly think that everyone on here is just biased towards a few sets that everyone else says are the good ones, its the same with every forum, Ive been looking through scores of forums for near a month now, and each one has 5 to 6 models that the general consensus says are the better ones, on here crossfades are not on that list so in hopes of diversifying the recommended ones I wanted to give my experience with them.

The fact that I find them to have a balanced sound when you with your "trained" ears find them to be nowhere near balanced and feel the need to insult me about it, calling me inexperienced and saying that I should listen to you to hear a truly "balanced" sound, just leads me to believe that you are mostly arrogant pricks on here...

I was only sharing my experience, you would think that you would encourage discussion of different opinions and feelings on matters, but that is apparently not so

As RPGWiZaRD's signature states "Sound is a subjective matter. The best headphone is the one that sounds according to your own prefers"  everything sounds different to different people, I find these to be awesome headphones, and so may others, but they aren't one of your "Golden 10" or however many you dote upon here...

I wash my hands of this site, and all your arrogant biased opinions.... good day to you all

All of this from what I said?  Wow, I did not mean to insult you at all.  I never said I have trained ears either.  I do however know what a balanced headphone sounds like.  If a headphone is bass heavy, they are not balanced.  

Did you even read my whole post?  I have no idea where your theory of me having a "golden 10" list of headphones comes from..or the fact that I dont like crossfades..I stated in my post that I own a pair and happen to enjoy them very much.

I really dont even know what to say to you...your reply was erratic and out of your ass.  

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 11
ok now the crossfade lp2 sound awesome to me 
biggrin.gif
i just wanna ask a few questions about them.....is the bass not to overpowering that i cant hear the highs? (i listened to my freinds SK hesh and i couldent hear the vocals and they sound like crap) ...and where can i find them NEW under $199 (id like to spend at most $160) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back