New Creative Zen X-Fi is out! (in Asia)
Jul 10, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that the Zen is underrated here even though I personally do not its sound signature. It isn't overly bassy or sparkly at the top or especially warm; the midrange is too emphasized for my liking.

No, the frequency response is flat to within 1.47 dB, something well below what you're likely able to hear. Flat is flat. There may be some coloration based on the way your headphones interact with the unit, but that observation is useless to anyone other than those with the exact same equipment. The output from the player itself (and in fact most players) is pretty near perfectly flat.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by phyrefly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find me some one on Head-Fi that thinks otherwise.

ROFL. There are many people who like the Zen's SQ, and many who like to slam them. That's exactly why subjective opinions are so useless in cases like this... they are just personal biases, or are related to some other external factor. Test results are not.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
load the zen with headphones then see how flat it is.

Exactly. Almost every single decent source measures as flat, yet most of them sound different; even DACs that use the same chips do not always sound the same! This has to be attributable at least partially to the sound signature or coloration of each source.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. Almost every single decent source measures as flat, yet most of them sound different; even DACs that use the same chips do not always sound the same! This has to be attributable at least partially to the sound signature or coloration of each source.

I don't disagree, but my point is that any differences based on headphone load is only going to be repeatable for that particular headphone/player combo. A general statement that 'brand x always sounds inferior' based only on that kind of experience is not going to be very accurate.

As far as DACs that use the same chips sounding different enough to hear, well, that one I'd have to see.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROFL. There are many people who like the Zen's SQ, and many who like to slam them. That's exactly why subjective opinions are so useless in cases like this... they are just personal biases, or are related to some other external factor. Test results are not.

Many people? Such as...? I have yet to meet any one that thinks the new flash Zens sound better than the older HD Zens.

Why don't you run your tests and tell me which album/artist/song is the best. Personal opinions are just rubbish, correct? Like I said before, I'll trust the collective opinion of others over some random test. If you think opinions are useless, well that's too bad.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #26 of 37
somebody load it....and test it

it looks like my nec credit card phone i used to have...i hated that phone..it was so hard to press the buttons

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #27 of 37
If it sounds like the Zen 32gb I sold then they can keep it. The SQ was pretty good - but ONLY w/in ear phones. Couldn't even handle my HTX7's & the Bass Boost sounded like an under water listening test!!! SD integration didn't exist, and still doesn't. Creative PURPOSELY refuses to give the specs customers demand. With any luck they'll clean it up before they pull a Rio and go EXTINCT!!!

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #28 of 37
They don't seem to cater much to their existing customers and seem to be chasing a populist fanbase instead judging by their feature choices. Maybe the whole Daniel_K drivers incident and their own laziness in providing driver updates was a good indication of their management direction.

I mean clearly they seem to have the notion that it's fine to skimp on sound quality at the gain of compactness.

Forcing a relatively expensive IEM into their package just seems a way to jack up the price (granted which is still pretty competitive), instead of the obvious of offering it as an optional accessory. Again, that's no doubt catering to populist consumers who never replace the stock buds they get.

Inbuilt speakers? I dunno what their focus groups tell them, maybe it is indeed a must-have feature as other companies such as iRiver have been going crazy over it, but again surely they could just make it a compact standalone accessory?

If they still haven't integrated files from SD into the main music library then that is indeed abysmal. If other newer competitors with less market share can do it, then so can Creative. I would go as far as to suspect it's a clever marketing ploy to encourage people to buy the higher capacity versions instead of getting the lower capacity one and just grabing a 32gb SD card.

Anyway, not here to just troll, here's a review or more fittingly probably just a hands-on as it doesn't go much beyond unboxing the thing and demoing it:

Nothing But Creative

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #29 of 37
Damn, I just started a thread w/the Nothing But Creative link to Kingone's review!!!
Sorry RedSky0.

EDIT: Handled it!!!

Nov 14, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #30 of 37
While my X1061 is sent back for an exchange I bought Zen X-Fi 16GB. Too much bass...There's no way I can use the sound effects. Is there an ounce of clarity in this player? I am returning this tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back