New Creative products! Sound cards and headsets - September 2011
Sep 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

StigtriX

New Head-Fier
I found the official press release from Creative rather interesting:
http://www.creative.com/corporate/pressroom/releases/welcome.asp?pid=13247

A new sound processor sounds intriguing... Only time and detailed reviews will show us if it's all marketing and fancy words without depth. Will some of the new features become new standards in games, or do you think they will be extra for Creative only? And what are your thoughts on the new wireless multiplatform headset for PS3, Xbox 360, PC and Mac?

Do you think the new sound cards will be worth the wait? I just bought Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD and Sennheiser PC 360 and am wondering if I should cancel the order and send it all back when it arrives 
confused_face_2.gif

Creative Soundblaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional

Creative Soundblaster Recon 3D

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, what will really benefit from this new card series will be 3rd party OEMs and their add-on cards that will act as a middle ground between onboard audio chips and dedicated soundcards. In theory, the Recon3D series could replace the regular X-Fi Titanium series (excluding the Titanium HD), but while I/O seems to be improved, specs alone don't really warrant a true upgrade for regular EMU10K2 cards, unless components are of higher quality, seemingly making it more of a sidegrade than an actual upgrade. Still, more info needs to be disclosed.

Basically, it seems that Creative is going on a different direction, meaning a plan of theirs that's a few years is starting to move forward.

Sep 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 7
lol, not at all :) Just sharing my 2 cents on what these new products might be, but we definitely need more info on that.

While Recon3D has a very techy look, I just hope its performance is at least par for the course, as I'm most definitely one that prefers function over form.

Although, I didn't quite get what you said about getting a X-Fi Diamond HD, what exactly is that? Never heard of such thing :)

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Ah, I know of him, he sometimes likes to visit me as well. Nice guy, when he's on a good mood :)

In that case, I wouldn't cancel your order and keep the Titanium HD, as I believe these new cards aren't meant to be of higher quality of the Titanium HD, more as a previous generation replacements. The Titanium HD is a beast on its own and will be around for quite some time :wink:

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 7
I wonder what they actually have to offer over those with EMU20k1 or EMU20k2-based X-Fi cards. I've actually heard of SoundCore 3D before, but thought it was more of an integrated motherboard audio codec solution with DACs and ADCs right in the same package with the Quartet DSP that the X-Fi is known for.

They can't increment EAX another notch and use that as a selling point given where the PC game industry's heading, so that doesn't leave much else in terms of getting people to upgrade.

I think I'll stick with my Auzentech X-Fi cards for now, unless they fail and I can't get a free replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back