New creative player becomes official (neeon)
May 14, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #16 of 34
I like the looks of it, partially because its bound to be cheaper than the other mini players (creative players usually are).

I have a sticker on my Iriver H320. Got it custom made from www.stickit.com . I couldnt find a case that I liked for my player, and the sticker protects against scratches.

heres how I designed it.

skinit.JPG

I dont have a digital camera anymore, so no actual pics, but it looks pretty nice

**edit I didn't create those images, just changed them a bit in photo shop **

May 15, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 34
May 15, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #21 of 34
I personally think it's a nice looking player without the stickers. It's also very small and sleek- compared to it's slightly fatter brother (Zen Micro).

The whole "customization" thing from Creative may turn out to be a good move in the end though, you never know. For now I'd just take the black front with the red backlight.

May 15, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
PS Have you noticed that how the market "innovation" with players has grinded to halt. Everybody is just coming out with odd form factors and trying to find the best size/Gb/price ratio that beats the competition. Where's all the real competition based on difference, and not sameness?

Not being rude, but I would MUCH rather have an mp3 player that plays music at an excellent quality and has masses of space at a cheaper price, as opposed to having the mp3 player with the most pointless gadgets.

To me, good sound quality, bags of space and value for money are MUCH more important than anything else, regardless of how many features the player has.

Focus on getting the best out of what you already have, before introducing anything new - Look how small they got Mobile Phones (Cell Phones) before bringing in things like cameras and video.

May 15, 2005 at 10:52 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarmarama
Not being rude, but I would MUCH rather have an mp3 player that plays music at an excellent quality and has masses of space at a cheaper price, as opposed to having the mp3 player with the most pointless gadgets.

You are not rude, but perhaps misunderstand.

Considering that:

- none of the players really are beyond criticism in sound quality (Apple, Creative, Philips and Sony certainly aren't)

- none of them have particularly great play times (sans Sony, for which I haven't seen actual run times yet)

- none of them support additional codecs, open dev kits, upgradability for various features (replaygain, clipping detection, float eq, proper selectable dithering algorithms, etc.)

- many have headphone amps that are just well, not very good (and no true line-outs)

- many are too difficult to use, transfer music into and manage the music inside them

I'd really like to see THOSE things fixed before we get another "nice new casing, available in 20 trendy colours" player on the market
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
You are not rude, but perhaps misunderstand.

Considering that:

- none of the players really are beyond criticism in sound quality (Apple, Creative, Philips and Sony certainly aren't)

- none of them have particularly great play times (sans Sony, for which I haven't seen actual run times yet)

- none of them support additional codecs, open dev kits, upgradability for various features (replaygain, clipping detection, float eq, proper selectable dithering algorithms, etc.)

- many have headphone amps that are just well, not very good (and no true line-outs)

- many are too difficult to use, transfer music into and manage the music inside them

I'd really like to see THOSE things fixed before we get another "nice new casing, available in 20 trendy colours" player on the market
smily_headphones1.gif

The problem there is the features you list aren't really selling points to the average consumer. While they may be important to people like us a "new nice new casing, available in 20 trendy colours" is what the average consumer will see, actually I can see the decision being "does it look as good or better than an iPod?" or "is it cheaper than an iPod?"

May 17, 2005 at 8:57 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
The problem there is the features you list aren't really selling points to the average consumer. While they may be important to people like us a "new nice new casing, available in 20 trendy colours" is what the average consumer will see, actually I can see the decision being "does it look as good or better than an iPod?" or "is it cheaper than an iPod?"

Of course we all understand that.

However, manufacturers are also bright.

They should understand that not all of the companies can survive in the "looks cool, everybody wants it, mass manufacturing enables compatitive pricing" scenario where Apple does so well.

There is more than enough room for 1-3 smaller companies (most mp3 makers are that size) to cater for audiophile, enthusiast and hacked/modifier community.

After all, Rio Karma did very well, even though it looks like crap and is bugged with reliability issues (if one believes the forum posts).

There IS market for at least 1-3 good audiophile/advanced feature players.

THe problem is, as far as I can guess, is that most manufacturers don't have the time nor the skill to do these things, even if they see that the market is there.

They see mp3 player market as too fast a moving platform to target anything else than 3-7 month projected portables.

May 17, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Waspinators
Heres the size of the thing.

Width: 46.9mm
Height: 79.9mm
Depth: 15.9mm

Pretty small...

Those measurements have to be wrong..a 5GB harddrive and a battery couldn't fit into something that small.

May 17, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #28 of 34
I think it is one of the better looking players. I agree with the lineout too. I would LOVE a line out. For when i go to parties and there music sucks or something. that would be awesome.

May 19, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #30 of 34
Taking into account that this thing will be significantly smaller than the Zen Micro . . . . . . .

Altoid Tins anyone ?
rolleyes.gif

or perhaps . . . . Tick Tack Case ?

mmmmm, nevermind that's too small !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back