New Computer with digital coaxial or so did output
Oct 5, 2016 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Monahans67

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a new desktop tower and am having a hard time finding one with a digital coaxial output or spdif. I want to connect that way to my Schiit Bifroost. Can someone tell me if they are even made that w a y anymore? The guy at bestbuy said it is not on any of his stock. I have it on a hp pavillon that uses vista.

Oct 5, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 5
  Keep in mind, signal coming out from the coaxial or optical only go up to 96/24

No, the Toslink standard says 24/96 max but the hardware often performs better
SPDIF over coax can and will do 24/192 without problems.

To the OP
Indeed it look likes SPDIF is on its way out.
In the past almost any multimedia PC had SPDIF out.
Today it is HDMI.
Alternative is a USB to SPDIF converter. 

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I am looking to buy a new desktop tower and am having a hard time finding one with a digital coaxial output or spdif. I want to connect that way to my Schiit Bifroost. Can someone tell me if they are even made that w a y anymore? The guy at bestbuy said it is not on any of his stock. I have it on a hp pavillon that uses vista.

Proprietary or cheaper motherboards used in prebuilt computers aren't really intended for multimedia use so they're not using them anymore; even the ones for gaming aren't really well thought out (hell just look at the negative pressure cooling system and then they cram a graphics card in there getting fresh air only from the cracks in the chassis). Z (Intel) and A (AMD) chipset boards still have them, especially the red boards. You could get a MacMini, or if you're looking at a larger tower because you need a graphics card, build your own. mITX board, unlocked i5 processor with a decent tower cooler, mITX form factor or a shorter dual fan GTX 1060, case like the Fractal Node 304, Silverstone SFX-L form factor power supply (longer than SFX PSU with larger 120mm fan for lower noise vs the 80mm fan). Choose the fans carefully and it'll be quieter and cools the components better than the noisy, overworked exhaust, GPU, and PSU fans on a pre-built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back