New computer -- Windows Help
Oct 6, 2004 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pank2002

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey fellow head-fiers,
I'm in some trouble here, and I'd hope some of you guys would be able to help me. recently my mom got a new laptop for journal use (she's a vet) with the purpose of being able to the typing work 'in the field' and later sync when she gets home.
Unfortunately the old computer wasn't fast enough for running Windows XP, as the laptop does, so we've gotten a new computer, and unfortunately I've gotten the non-cool job of getting this to work.
Those programs which was installed are the kind with serious copy protection and last time I tried, I couldn't figure out how the heck I'd have to do, to install it without slowing down due to lag of key. Furthermore the company providing the journal software had the computer at them to prepare the financial program .
So, as you probably can see, it'd be much more convenience to just install Windows XP on the old Windows 98. Sure would save me some time and some manual reading. Also, could I copy everything from the old hard drive to the new hard drive and install Windows XP 'above' that?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Rasmus

Oct 6, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 6
Use either Norton Ghost or Acronis TrueImage 7.0 and copy that over to the new drive. Then install XP over 98 (the nonformatting install
smily_headphones1.gif
)and you should be good to go.

Oct 7, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 6
If I understand this correctly, he is trying to transfer the entirety of his old HDD to a new HDD on the new computer. Thus, ghosting will not work because the drivers on the image are completely different from what matches with the new setup.

Oct 7, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 6
Chances are that the license is 'hard written' to the old HD. In many cases if you so much as defrag the drive you could invalidate the license. Usually you need a floppy to copy the license to through an app. sub menu. You may need a special floppy from from the software maker.

Baring that, you could install the 2.5" disk on your PC by setting it to slave and connected to a special IDE adapter. You would then copy the disk to your disk using your HD manufacturer's CD which came with it.

But just booting will probably fail. If it was NT or WXP it should BSOD. But seeing as it is W98 it will just ask for new drivers to be installed. You will then have to boot into safe mode to remove video, nic, sound, usb drivers and install the correct drivers. You would then use WXP upgrade to upgrade to WXP.

But chances are the proggie may still not work as it is may be a 16 bit app. So the best thing to do would be to get the 32 bit version of that program. You may need different .dll files to make it work under WXP.

The best way to do it is to install WXP on your machine, then slave her drive and copy just her data. Then install the new app.

Have you tried any of those utilities / apps. that transfer data from one PC to another, using a com serial cable? It'll probably only transfer data and not applications, though.

Get in touch with your apps. support for their suggestions. Chances are you will need to buy another license. Ask if there is an upgrade price if you return the old app. and license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back