New computer, good deal?
Sep 23, 2007 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

arnoldsoccer4

500+ Head-Fier
So my laptop power input is shot, the actual connection to the motherboard needs repair and it will cost $200 to fix. The computer is an acer with a 1.6 ghz processor and 512 of Ram, with a 100gb hard drive, with a 17 inch screen and a dvd burner in it, in other words, nothing special. My dad brought up instead of paying to repair the old laptop, maybe get a new desktop. We already have an acer 20" lcd that is currently not in use, so I already have a monitor, and I have keyboard, mouse, speakers etc. The budget is low, and I mean low, under 500 preferably, and no I will not build one. After poking around for about 10 minutes I found this.

Acer
The computer will just be for general use, I will use the internet, word processing, dvd burning, dvd backups, and video conversions (creating dvd backups and converting video to watch on my archos 504). I will probably not run games on it, and if I do it will be very very rarely. I figured though if I am going to run vista, I should get 2gb of ram. Also, quietness is not a huge selling point but it would be nice if the computer was quiet.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I also already have a wireless card I can stick in.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 10
For basic use that one should be alright. The A64s aren't what they used to be in terms of where they are in the field performance wise, but it will do what you need it to. I have heard a few complaints about Acer's quality, but most computers will be fine if you treat them well, a lot of people have the misconception that computers are virtually unbreakable. I have no idea where they get that notion from, but I see a lot of people treating their computers rather badly, thinking it won't be a problem, then complaining and blaming the manufacturer when they break.

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Acer computers aren't known for their build quality...

Build quality in a desktop? Or were you referencing to my laptop?

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A64s aren't what they used to be in terms of where they are in the field performance wise, but it will do what you need it to.

In the prebuilt market, the 4400+ is better than everything up until the E6400. Even against the E6400, the 4400+ holds up neck and neck. With prebuilts, you usually don't hit the E6400 and E6600 until you spend a few hundred more, otherwise you get CPU's like the E2160 or E4400, which are watered down garbage CPUs compared to the X2's.

That Acer is a good find. I would personally go for this one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1179877252949

The case is just big enough to fit a 430watt Antec Trio PSU if you need to replace the 250watt one for a video card upgrade. Because of the way the case is designed, it has plenty of room for even the biggest video cards (8800 Ultra / HD 2900XT).

In either case, Vista takes awhile on prebuilts to get up and running properly. My advice is don't be aggravated with the initial setup process, it's all worth it once you get Vista up and running. Be sure to remove just about ALL the pre-installed software that the prebuilt comes with. It's usually nothing but gimmicky junk that takes a big toll on your system's performance. The most important thing to uninstall immediately after getting all the Windows updates is any Norton/McAfee AntiVirus and Internet Suite software. NOD32 is a MUCH better choice (superior detection and small unintrusive footprint)

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 10
For your uses, that computer should be more than enough it's also set at a good price.
And no, Acers build quality isn't the best, but they are the cheapest. And as long as you take good care of it, it should be pretty reliable.
I'm currently using an Acer laptop that I bought a few months back. It's been rock-solid since. Comparable models were going for $200-$300 more and the only difference (to me) was branding and tactile feel.

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Ohh whoops forgot to update. We just decided to replace my power jack instead of buying a desktop, argument being that in 2 years I am going to be in college, so getting a new computer now doesn't make sense. Also, when I go to college it wouldn't make sense to only have a desktop, I will probably taking notes on a laptop, so I could use my old one and get a desktop, or we could just buy a new laptop, as my current lappy will be obsolete and on its last leg in 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back